• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do what is right, God is watching

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
I love doing good, and usually will, regardless of outcome in this world. But, if you really want to get into logic.. The way this world is set up, it's often more logical to do wrong. Lie, cheat, steal. People already have that selfish mentality. So, when you're looking out for everyone, but everyone is only looking out for themselves, you'll be depleted and cast aside really quickly. People really do believe in survival of the fittest.

Vultar

How do you verify that all this is true?

How can I verify this to your satisfaction?... probably can't...

How do I know?... I've died 4 times...

Would you believe me?... probably not...

Does it matter that you probably don't believe me?... nope... :D

F0uad

You don't need a law to be "universal" in order to recognize or condemn something as being wrong. The exact same logic that applied to the Nazis in determining what was right can also be applied to those who fought and defeated them - neither had a "universal" law to the condemn the other, but in the end the overwhelming opinion of the global society collectively condemned and beat the Nazi regime.

Doing what is right essentially just means doing what will cause the least harm (or prevent the most harm) while simultaneously ensuring your actions benefit as many people as possible. You don't need to believe in God to recognize the benefits of making another person smile or laugh, nor to see the bad in causing them sadness or pain. This is true whether you believe in God or not. All morality is fundamentally based on basic human empathy and the desire to create a compassionate, healthy society that benefits all of us.

But the problem here is that the Majority of the Germans thought it was a good thing and the minority disagreed so by your argument the killing of those Jews would be acceptable in that period of time in Germany.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Yes, really. There is nothing in the church sign that necessarily implies that "people need belief in a god and promise of reward to be good people". You're simply projecting your contempt for theists. It's shallow and it's petty.

Well I don't have contempt for an overgeneralization of "theists", so I'd say that ignorant assumtion is shallow and petty. To be honest, I've never gotten a single useful answer from you, it is all ignorant assumtions, ad hominem attacks, and baseless claims. Now, obviously this is separate from the debate we are having, but I am just very against this nonsense as it is not useful in any way. So please, if you have nothing to contribute to my posts on this forum besides the previously mentioned things then please just leave me to have useful and logical discussions.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Just in case no one caught the point of my previous post....

Heaven is not so much a place....as it is a position.

Carry over of what you are now...into the next life?....likely so.
Anything to share between us?...probably.
A change in perception?...oh yeah.

Here in this life your thoughts and feelings are shielded.
No one knows what you think or feel until you write it out...and someone reads it.
No one can tell what is on your mind until you speak of it and they listen.

The next world does not have these methods.
When you stand up from your dust they will be able to see what you really are....
as if you are made of glass.

Seeing what you really are...will they allow your company?...or leave you where you fell?

In a manner of speaking, where you end up is very much the same as who will being willing to stand beside you.
But it's more proximity than place.

FakeOrReal

Personally, do you guys think the entity described in the bible as malignant is real? I mean the bible is messed up because it doesn't always tell you when this actually happened and this didn't, symbolic or not, neopagans, satanists (who don't believe in the Satan from the bible (lol?) Magic, demons, possessions, I mean SOOO MUCHH STUFFF do any of you think some is real and is there logical/substantial proof for some?

Pagans and witches, they're popular sort of, and are involved in "magic" right? But is there proof of it? How about India and Chakra? I mean ZOMG so many theories!! GAH

thx :p

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Personally, do you guys think the entity described in the bible as malignant is real? I mean the bible is messed up because it doesn't always tell you when this actually happened and this didn't, symbolic or not, neopagans, satanists (who don't believe in the Satan from the bible (lol?) Magic, demons, possessions, I mean SOOO MUCHH STUFFF do any of you think some is real and is there logical/substantial proof for some?

Pagans and witches, they're popular sort of, and are involved in "magic" right? But is there proof of it? How about India and Chakra? I mean ZOMG so many theories!! GAH

thx :p

From another thread...moments ago...I quote myself...

As the text has been written by the hand of Man....
influence of their perspective is unavoidable.

Moses might ask....'What am I made of?
I am not carved of wood, chiseled of stone, nor cast of metal....what is Man made of?'
And God would say....'Dust.'

That any man might ask, doesn't indicate he would understand the answer...though the answer sounds simple enough.

Say now to Moses..'evolution'...and he would make denial, having heard from God another explanation.

(I have a means to reconcile creation and evolution)

So the text Moses wrote has limits. Those limits were known to God.
In the knowing, God gave to such prophets only that which they were able to carry.

The text would have been written quite differently, had Moses been told
what he could not give to others.
What if Moses had been told....
'The lights above your head are not candles held steadfast by angels.
They are instead huge balls of flaming gas set afire by fusion.'

The mere mention of such things Moses would not understand.
To educate him to such understanding would have taken far more than forty days and nights.

And then to bring such advanced knowledge down the mountain and render it unto a wandering nation?

The story of Adam and Eve was almost too much as is.....
at the time when Moses lived.

And for some participants here...it still is!
(end quote)

The point is...you have to think about it.
The text was written by people who did not have your perspective.
You've been 'educated'.

Now see if you can be intelligent about it.
(no slight intended)

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
I saw this on a church sign while driving tonight, and it made me think. Isn't this kind of pathetic? I mean shouldn't we be good people simply because it is good? I find it pathetic that people need belief in a god and promise of reward to be good people. Anyone agree with this? I mean I am an atheist, so people accuse me of being selfish, hedonistic, pretty much just overall bad and immoral since I have no fear of God and am not living for reward. But isn't being good just for reward selfish? I mean we are all naturally selfish but that is pretty greedy.

Thoughts?

I agree with you. It is my opinion that George Clooney is far more moral than the Pope and his missionaries in Africa.