• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do we have a 'time'

ragordon168

'it was his time' is a phrase often used when someone has died even with the best medical care.

I was wondering if you believe we all have a time at which we are destined to die and nothing we do can change this fact?

Just_me_Mike

You ask a specific question for a broad topic.
It is the same as asking "do you believe in destiny?" Much easier to answer and whatever the answer is for the individual to my question will be the answer to yours.

There is no evidence either way to prove or disprove destiny, so it is a belief thing.

Beyondo

'it was his time' is a phrase often used when someone has died even with the best medical care.

I was wondering if you believe we all have a time at which we are destined to die and nothing we do can change this fact?

Oh mean like the movie? Well I'd have say the research that the Hollywood script writers did for the movie must have been pretty substantial. So my guess is yeah you can never cheat death...:angel2:

Gabethewiking

Oh mean like the movie? Well I'd have say the research that the Hollywood script writers did for the movie must have been pretty substantial. So my guess is yeah you can never cheat death...:angel2:

Well, we will die, end of story.

But the topics premise is silly, typical Sci-Fi kind of thinking, it is silly as well considering it seems to ignore other animals and We have Our Time..

I feel so special...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

No, I don't.

Personally, I take that expression to mean something more like "his death was appropriate". Even still, I don't tend to use the expression myself, like how I avoid using the word "accident".

Smoke

Done here.
I think people say "It was his time" because it makes them feel better. People find it comforting to think that this death, at this time and in this way, is The Way It's Supposed To Be. It's somehow easier to accept death if God or the Fates or Destiny is in charge of it.

Gabethewiking

I think people say "It was his time" because it makes them feel better. People find it comforting to think that this death, at this time and in this way, is The Way It's Supposed To Be. It's somehow easier to accept death if God or the Fates or Destiny is in charge of it.

But it is the way it is suppose to be. That is what people forget, especially if religious inclined.

When a 5 yearold girl dies because a car smash into her, that is as natural and normal as 80 yearold grandma dying in bed.

Actually, Grandma is LESS "natural" as she only lived that long because of our medical advancements and better and healthier lives we live. People forget this, we do our best, but we may die in a car accident or by drinking to much beer and having our bladder blow... It is as simple as that.

Everyhing that happens happens the Way is is Suppose to happen, There is no special destenity, only the world following the laws and regulations that they have, if this ends with you dying at the age of 110 with you wetting the bed and no teeth or getting a TV smashing down on your head when you crawling out from under the table to connect the plug does not matter.

The real world is amazing, stuff happens, deal with it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I find that statements like that one are often used as just a statement (like saying "bless you" when someone sneezes). It is just something to say for an unexplainable event. :)

logician

One thing I definitely do not believe is true is predestination. In our chaotic/random world, the idea that there is a "time" for things to happen is ludicrous.

Draka

Wonder Woman
No. What would make anyone think deity is physical?
I'll retract that, I guess there are some who believe that their gods had physical incarnations and, in that way, view deity as having physical manifestations. Though I do not believe most people view deity as a "physical" thing in and of itself. It is usually beyond physical, even if believed to have physical manifestations.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I thought he was part of this world, ie, physical (existing). is he not everywhere and everything?

There's a difference between being everything and being IN everything. Being everywhere and being FELT everywhere. To be part of this world does not require physical form, just presence, energy, existence.

ellenjanuary

Today is a good day to die.
~Klingon proverb.

Everybody has a story. In my case, it is autobiographical; and every day is a good day to die. It is only when one allows others to write the story of one's own self that allowances arise for temporal inconsistency.