• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we have a soul?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Fade said:
What are you basing these claims on?
Common sense, science and philosophy. If you hear a loud bang and you asked me "What made that bang?" and I replied "Nothing it just happened." that you would accept that? Apparently a lot of scientists with P.H.D's don't.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Mister_T said:
The way I understand it's like this. Infinity=no beginning and no end. God is an infinite being. He has always been around and will always be around. Nobody made him. We can't comprehend this concept because everything in our lives has a beginning and an end. He made the universe (big bang) which created us. Think about it. If you heard a loud bang, that noise was the effect of a cause. Bangs don't happen from nothing. If you leave a pen and paper by themselves they will not write a letter. If you leave parts of a watch by themselves they will not form a watch.
So what you are saying here is that we don't understand the very moment of the big bang, and as you don't know the answer, the answer must be God. no further questions.

God is infinite and we don't understand infinite either (I do feel I understand infinite but in your story you are showing you do not. :rolleyes: ) but this is just because he's God and he's unquestionable. nobody needs to create God, but the rest though..

tell me, there are evidenses of black holes and implosions.. do you believe they exist?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Mister_T said:
Common sense, science and philosophy. If you hear a loud bang and you asked me "What made that bang?" and I replied "Nothing it just happened." that you would accept that? Apparently a lot of scientists with P.H.D's don't.
You see, there you go again demonstrating your fundemental lack of understanding of what the Big Bang was. I'll give you a clue, the bang in the Big Bang is a euphemism not a literal description of what happened.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Bouncing Ball said:
So what you are saying here is that we don't understand the very moment of the big bang, and as you don't know the answer, the answer must be God. no further questions.

God is infinite and we don't understand infinite either (I do feel I understand infinite but in your story you are showing you do not. :rolleyes: ) but this is just because he's God and he's unquestionable. nobody needs to create God, but the rest though..

tell me, there are evidenses of black holes and implosions.. do you believe they exist?
Haha. Apparently I must be giving off the wrong impression. No I'm not saying saying those things. I'm simply providing one of many explanations as to how we came into exsistence. My point is nothing does not produce something. As far as the whole God/Infinity thing: I'm not saying that God's exsistence does not need to be questioned, I was providing an explanation for him and I realize you could use that same explanation for the Universe. Of course black holes and implosions exsist. Could black holes have been part of the reason/cause we exsist? Sure. But so could God. And there are plenty of things out there that support an intelligent designer if you're willing to keep an open mind and accept those things.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Fade said:
You see, there you go again demonstrating your fundemental lack of understanding of what the Big Bang was. I'll give you a clue, the bang in the Big Bang is a euphemism not a literal description of what happened.
Dude, this is a debate. Start debating. All you can seem to do is point out what you think is my lack of understanding. My "bang" example is to point out that nothingness does not produce something. And you STILL have not provided a counter argument for that. At least Bouncing Ball started going somewhere with black holes and implosions.

Flappycat

When faced with a truly vexing riddle, the sage will either attempt to solve it or accept that he hasn't the tools or patience to do so. The fool will suppose a solution and believe it unflinchingly. The dreamer will suppose an endless array of solutions, just for the pleasure of thinking them up. In the end, the dreamer is the happier of the three.

nightwolf

I tie soul to spirit. So the question to me comes as do we have a spirit. I would have to say I believe so. When talking about if spirit is real in my eyes it has been proven. There has been sightings of spirits and hauntings and this makes me believe in soul/spirit. I believe the soul/spirit has a vast knowledge greater then our own. I have done meditations and have had astral travel. This would prove to me that there would be something inside me that was creater then my own absolute understanding. We could very well chalk up astral travel over imagination, but I have also talked to a person 100s of miles away from me through the mind. To me all these things equal energy that I don't believe is of a type the body is capable of doing anything with. I also believe the sub conscience is directly tied into the soul, to me it would make sense that the soul would be a recording device so that when we pass on the information is still with us.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Mister_T said:
Dude, this is a debate. Start debating. All you can seem to do is point out what you think is my lack of understanding. My "bang" example is to point out that nothingness does not produce something. And you STILL have not provided a counter argument for that. At least Bouncing Ball started going somewhere with black holes and implosions.
OKay how about this...when has big bang theory ever postulated that something came from nothing? :bonk:

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Fade said:
OKay how about this...when has big bang theory ever postulated that something came from nothing? :bonk:
Science hasn't done that. Scientists are still speculating about the beginning of our universe. The big bang is the place they choose to start. Scientists don't know what caused the big bang (although they have theories) and scientists don't know how that concentrated point before the big bang came into exsistence (and they've got theories for that too). And even if they find a cause for the big bang then what was the cause of that cause? What your left with is the same problem you started with. There has to be a starting point. All I'm doing is providing another theory. And you can consider it as a possibilty with an open mind, or you can deny it with a closed mind.:D

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Mister_T said:
Science hasn't done that. Scientists are still speculating about the beginning of our universe. The big bang is the place they choose to start. Scientists don't know what caused the big bang (although they have theories) and scientists don't know how that concentrated point before the big bang came into exsistence (and they've got theories for that too). And even if they find a cause for the big bang then what was the cause of that cause? What your left with is the same problem you started with. There has to be a starting point. All I'm doing is providing another theory. And you can consider it as a possibilty with an open mind, or you can deny it with a closed mind.:D
I have a theory, Santa Claus is actually an alien who uses a replicator to create all the presents and uses his time machine to deliver all the presents on time. Now you can consider it as a possibility with an open mind or you can deny it with a closed mind. :biglaugh:

Why does there have to be a starting point? Surely infinite by definition means there is no starting point? At any rate M -Theory and string theory present some interesting possibilities for pre-singularity space.

Flappycat

Mister_T said:
Listen, man. The Big Bang was either the beginning of time, or it wasn't.

If it wasn't, there were things of an unknown nature happening prior to it, which would make them precisely unknowns. If you want to firmly believe in some complete rubbish you made up while partially drunk, this is your business entirely, but it's exactly rubbish if not based on observations.

If it actually was the beginning of time, suppositions about its causes are completely illogical and pointless. Do you or do you not understand? A beginning of time wouldn't be capable of having a cause.

Storm Moon

† Spiritual Warrior †
We go from souls to the Big Bang theory. Very consistent thread. :clap

I, however, do believe that we are souls with bodies, not bodies with souls. I'm agreeing with nightwolf here. There have been too many stories of people seeing ghosts to make a believer out of me.