• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do no harm

LilyPhoenix

In Buddhism and Hinduism it says do not harm
does that also mean do not harm yourself
The reason i ask is that i am a self injurer i cut myself when i cant deal with my emotions or when am at my lowest point .
I have been trying to stop myself from doing this But am finding it very hard to stop .
My husband support me and wants me to stop as well
we have tired thrown the blades away and hiding them but i usually get them back some how or i go and buy more blades
I cant think how to stop it av been doing this from the age of 13 am now 36
i have scars all over my body but even that don't stop me from doing it
Unsure if i can stop

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Not doing harm does include ourselves, physically, mentally and emotionally. But for such a severe and long-running condition as yours, I don't think relying on religious precepts will help. I think professional help is long past due. You owe it to yourself.

Mettā. :group:

LilyPhoenix

Thank you
i am waiting for therapy but its could take up to 6 months on the NHS
non NHS i cant afford as am on disability uk waiting list are long

spiritualhitchhiker

neti, neti, neti
Although there is no substitute professional help. In the meantime while you are on waiting list. A supportive family or group of people is really important. I wish I could tell you how to deal with your problems. I'm scared that my solution will be applied blindly to every situation. What you have to understand is you need to have different solutions to different problems. Sometimes the same solution will work for different problems but sometimes it won't.

Kalidas

In Buddhism and Hinduism it says do not harm
does that also mean do not harm yourself
The reason i ask is that i am a self injurer i cut myself when i cant deal with my emotions or when am at my lowest point .
I have been trying to stop myself from doing this But am finding it very hard to stop .
My husband support me and wants me to stop as well
we have tired thrown the blades away and hiding them but i usually get them back some how or i go and buy more blades
I cant think how to stop it av been doing this from the age of 13 am now 36
i have scars all over my body but even that don't stop me from doing it
Unsure if i can stop

I agree you need professional help for sure. But that may take a while as you said. Till then I would find another place to vent your emotions. Writing reading singing. You seem like a spiritual person, maybe when you are feeling really down you can try and pray or worship? I agree it is NO replacement for professional help but till you can get that help you need to try your best to fight it. I happen to be very devoted to goddess Kali, often times when I feel down sometimes I just sit and meditate near her. I may not always get my answer but just the simple act of being in her presence fills me with confidence.

But really you need professional help, that needs to come first. You don't know me but if you ever need to talk I can listen. I will keep you in my prayers

LilyPhoenix

i pray yes i find that helpful and writing things down
i really should get rid of the blades that i use
things are a bit hard right now my husbands granddad died 2 days ago
so things are a little emotional right now
Am helping my husband through it
when i self injure i feel like things are getting on top of me and i dont know how to deal with things
I hear voices and see things as well
Some times the voices tell me to hurt myself graphicly am on medication for the voices but my psych has said that the medication might not make them go away i need to try other things as well
I Also have OCD and am scared i might hurt people its been going on for a long time its stopped me from going on buses by myself but am starting to go on them on my own when its less busy .
My husband is also my carer and he helps me with a lot of things
there are times when i cant even get up in the morning or i forget to do my teeth and wash myself
I cant be on my own for a long time as i have OD'd before on medication

I hope the therapy help some of this but its a long process and will take time

i hope that at lest il stop self injuring as much as i do now
My dr is very supportive and she has talked to me about how to deal with my thoughts and triggers its just implementing them

Thank you