• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Baha'i believe psychic powers from God are bad?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@Frank Goad
The first written in the link you provided is this.
The views expressed in our content reflect individual perspectives and do not represent the official views of the Baha'i Faith.

So to the text it self. Also from your link.

"Can People Have Psychic or Paranormal Powers?
What about psychic powers and experiences such as premonitions and communication with the dead? Interestingly, the Baha’i Writings do acknowledge the existence of psychic powers and experiences, but state that these should not be used or cultivated, even if the intention is to help others. The language about this is quite strong, even suggesting that attempting to develop these faculties can weaken a person’s spiritual capacities. Cultivating or using these powers is also problematic because they are not understood, they are potentially dangerous, and we have no way of knowing whether or not they provide true information. While some people do occasionally experience premonitions (such as dreams) that come true, the writings state that these premonitions are a gift from God."

"Seeker of White light thoughts"
I have highlighted a part of the text so you can see, Baha'i do not say it is forbidden, but psychic powers should not be used due to our lack of understanding of what it do or can do.
It is not something to be craving to have.

Hope this help your understanding of what Baha'i teaching speak about.
Just remember each one of the Baha'i in RF may have slightly different understanding of what the text means.

Frank Goad

@Frank Goad
The first written in the link you provided is this.
The views expressed in our content reflect individual perspectives and do not represent the official views of the Baha'i Faith.

So to the text it self. Also from your link.

"Can People Have Psychic or Paranormal Powers?
What about psychic powers and experiences such as premonitions and communication with the dead? Interestingly, the Baha’i Writings do acknowledge the existence of psychic powers and experiences, but state that these should not be used or cultivated, even if the intention is to help others. The language about this is quite strong, even suggesting that attempting to develop these faculties can weaken a person’s spiritual capacities. Cultivating or using these powers is also problematic because they are not understood, they are potentially dangerous, and we have no way of knowing whether or not they provide true information. While some people do occasionally experience premonitions (such as dreams) that come true, the writings state that these premonitions are a gift from God."

"Seeker of White light thoughts"
I have highlighted a part of the text so you can see, Baha'i do not say it is forbidden, but psychic powers should not be used due to our lack of understanding of what it do or can do.
It is not something to be craving to have.

Hope this help your understanding of what Baha'i teaching speak about.
Just remember each one of the Baha'i in RF may have slightly different understanding of what the text means.

Yes this helps.:)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I like comparing things in other religions.To my religion.And see if it matches.:)
I think you will experience to find similarities in all abrahamic religions, but they may be explained differently about same topic.

Will it help you in your study as a Methodist if other religious texts are same or similar to your belief?

Frank Goad

I think you will experience to find similarities in all abrahamic religions, but they may be explained differently about same topic.

Will it help you in your study as a Methodist if other religious texts are same or similar to your belief?

Yes.If my religion has things that match.The people I talk to.Will be on the same page.:)