• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Atheists believe in free-will?

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Presupposes the non-existence of a Laplace Daemon for consciousness. For any system which is rationally intelligible and some actor exists outside the system, then that system can be controlled.

As far as we know there is no actor outside the system.
Granted, if there was, we would probably not be able to detect this actor, but we have no reason to believe such a thing exists.

I'm not going so far as to say that causal determinism mandates loss of free will. I am satisfied knowing that my actions generally satisfy the desires and intentions I have at the time of the event.

Well, it may be that our notions about what free will actually is needs refining, being as it is, already, a poorly defined concept.

However, it does bare mentioning that proclaiming your "will free" when your "will" is reduced to computational factors in an individualized and/or isolated existence looks rather droll and uninspired.

I find it somewhat fascinating but I see why some would consider it too "cold" perhaps.

I much prefer a quantum consciousness (or at least consciousness partially derived from quantum processes) where our intelligence is entangled with much of the world around us. No you still can't create a thought out of nothingness, but I'm not sure I want to be able to in any case.

As you probably know, many aspects of quantum theory indicates true randomness, which would lend some incalculable elements to consciousness, should this have an effect at all. However, even that doesn't bode well for the traditional view of free will seeing as randomness means substituting chance for computation.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
So far as we can experimentally detect... sure no actors outside the universe. But I think it would be remiss of us to dismiss the possibility. In point of fact I consider it the height of likelihood that something exists at a higher level or even outside our universe. The universe was according to our best estimates "livable" for a billion or two years before life began to evolve on earth. So it stands to reason that somewhere out there amongst the many billions of galaxies a race of sentient beings with a whopping 600 million year head start on us exists/existed. I say existed because once you develop to a certain point and can manipulate your environment so as to exist outside the universe you aren't existing in the common sense notion of the term that we humans use.

Long story short: Yes they are out there. As to whether or not they can abrogate our wills... I suspect the answer is yes, but it is probably a trivial endeavor. We can override the decision making in rats, and so I suspect we could if we took the time do so in ants. But why would we bother taking over the life of an ant?

2) Granted; definitely a fuzzy concept. But I suspect that the notion of "Free Will" as in a will unfettered by outside influences is the essential characteristic of "Free Will" as meant in a religious sense.

I happen to despise the use of "emergent phenomena" in almost every usage. It seems to me a pseudo-scientific fad that glorifies ignorance. It lacks explanatory power in just about every instance I have ever seen it used. Some have pointed out that supervenience and by extension emergent phenomena classify problems not solutions, and so I ask then what is the point of classifying problems if they don't lead to greater clarity about how to solve them. It is very much like painting every problem in physics with the same brush using the "Uncertainty Principle" as the paint, and then concluding that there is nothing more that can ever be learned because there is uncertainty. This is wrong.

WIth that said I happen to think that an exception can be made in the case of consciousness. Consciousness does seem to be an emergent phenomena in the sense that it is the byproduct of a self-aware system feeding data back upon itself. So I can understand a "rational/scientific" approach to will where we are reduced to the genetic and environmental factors in our decision making. I am just not convinced that we are that limited; I suppose it is fair to mention I am not a materialist either (I am a neutral monist) and so reject the hypothesis that all things are purely a function of either matter or energy.

I am not aware of any aspect of quantum physics that presupposes true randomness. Bell's inequality establishes that either you have to give up on hidden variables or non-local rules/influences. D'espagnat posited the existence of a kind of "hyper-cosmic God" ("God" in roughly the same sense that Einstein used the term) that was a non-local agent of causation suffusing everywhere in the cosmos but that we can't interact with this "entity" as it is hidden from us (we are very much a part of the system that it governs). But it is not necessary to assume both non-local and hidden; even so "hidden" and "beyond our ability to calculate" does not make something truly random.

A random number generator is not random. If you could look at the positions of electrons in the circuitry you could accurately predict what number would be generated each time. And it is in this same way that I balk at assertions of truly random phenomena. Just because something cannot be predicted from our limited view point does not make something happen without causation. Creation Ex Nihilo is actually impossible. You cannot get anything; any characteristic, trait, or event to happen from nothing (there is nothing to copy, impart, or act). So while quantum phenomena might be unpredictable it does not necessarily follow that it is truly random.

With all that said: I would vastly prefer a component of randomness for consciousness to a mandate of absolute necessity for each every outcome and characteristic in the universe. I rather enjoy living in a mysterious universe. It means there is still something to figure out. A universe that is fully comprehensible down to the minutest detail I suspect would be trivialized. Perhaps this is why ET is not detectable; he leaves before things get "too boring."

MTF

Last edited:

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
So far as we can experimentally detect... sure no actors outside the universe. But I think it would be remiss of us to dismiss the possibility.

For me it just becomes like any number of things we don't have evidence for.
They end up in that huge sack of "We have no reason to think X exists".
I will of course modify my consideration of this when and if we ever get evidence that says otherwise.

Granted; definitely a fuzzy concept. But I suspect that the notion of "Free Will" as in a will unfettered by outside influences is the essential characteristic of "Free Will" as meant in a religious sense.

That depends on what you mean by outside influences.
We make our choices dependant on the information we have at any given time, which means that some of the information have to come from outside influences.

I happen to despise the use of "emergent phenomena" in almost every usage. It seems to me a pseudo-scientific fad that glorifies ignorance. It lacks explanatory power in just about every instance I have ever seen it used.

I agree that "emergent phenomena" might not be a very satisfying classification, although I have rarely encountered it anywhere else than in relation to consciousness. I take it mostly to be a placeholder (science has a few of these as you probably know) indicating that we need more research to pinpoint exactly what is going on here.

It is very much like painting every problem in physics with the same brush using the "Uncertainty Principle" as the paint, and then concluding that there is nothing more that can ever be learned because there is uncertainty. This is wrong.

I don't get the impression that there is nothing more to be learned here.
At the moment we are at a crossroads when it comes to our understanding of physics as we find that Relativity, while being a good explanation of what we observe on large scales, breaks down when dealing with subatomic concepts. For that we use Quantum Theory, perhaps the most successful scientific Theory in human history. However, there are a number of scientists working with what may turn out to be the next level of understanding; String theory.
I'm still struggling to get my head around that one though, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help there... :sad:

I am just not convinced that we are that limited; I suppose it is fair to mention I am not a materialist either (I am a neutral monist) and so reject the hypothesis that all things are purely a function of either matter or energy.

Seeing as we have not yet encountered anything that is not either matter or energy it seems to me premature to suppose anything else.

I am not aware of any aspect of quantum physics that presupposes true randomness. But it is not necessary to assume both non-local and hidden; even so "hidden" and "beyond our ability to calculate" does not make something truly random.

I wouldn't say 'presupposes'. The aspect of true randomness comes from our experimental data which are indeed impossible to calculate except as a probability equation. Whether there is something beneath that level of understanding remains to be seen (see above).

A random number generator is not random. If you could look at the positions of electrons in the circuitry you could accurately predict what number would be generated each time.

Agreed.

And it is in this same way that I balk at assertions of truly random phenomena. Just because something cannot be predicted from our limited view point does not make something happen without causation.

It may be that the expression "true randomness" is a poorly chosen one, but so far that is what the experimental data indicates, so that is the scientific position. However, as scientists know very well, we have been wrong before. Science is if fact based upon the idea that we are probably wrong. The thing we need to do is of course to find out where we are wrong and correct that as much as we can, always circling in at a more accurate understanding of the universe.

Creation Ex Nihilo is actually impossible. You cannot get anything; any characteristic, trait, or event to happen from nothing (there is nothing to copy, impart, or act). So while quantum phenomena might be unpredictable it does not necessarily follow that it is truly random.

Again, that remains to be seen.
At the moment our experimental data indicates that subatomic particles do indeed exist both as waves and particles, interacting with themselves, being at more than one place at the same time, tunnelling through barriers and popping in and out of existence.
But that doesn't mean we have stopped looking for explanations for why this happens.

With all that said: I would vastly prefer a component of randomness for consciousness to a mandate of absolute necessity for each every outcome and characteristic in the universe. I rather enjoy living in a mysterious universe. It means there is still something to figure out. A universe that is fully comprehensible down to the minutest detail I suspect would be trivialized. Perhaps this is why ET is not detectable; he leaves before things get "too boring."
MTF

I love a good mystery as well, and thankfully it would seem we're not going to run short of those any time soon. :D

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Does inductive validity hold sway with you Jar? If I told you that I had something which was 90% likely to be a carton of ice cream behind my back and you had a personal assessment of my honesty being 90% consider that my statement of probability was in fact strong evidence of there being a carton of ice cream behind my back?

I find it highly implausible that there is nothing out there for us to interact with in some meaningful way. Perhaps we are too late, and by the time we get out there, wherever there is, we will not be able to have a meeting of the minds, but that does not mean that nothing can be learned. An ant might not have any evidence that it can understand that humans exist, but not having any evidence one can understand is not the same as there exists no evidence at all. Our limited perspective and limited exposure to the universe (cosmic infancy) makes it seem highly probable that we are simply unable to see the evidence not that there is no evidence to ever be found.

"Free Will" requires your will be unconstrained by the direct influence of some other form of conscious direction, not that your will be free from externalities. Externalities are necessary in order to learn. The form your consciousness ultimately takes is derived from your experiences modifying who and what you are. So I do not think that the scientist and the theologian can disagree that Free Will does not preclude outside influences in the form of perception of one's surroundings.

There are numerous examples of things "considered" to be emergent; wikpedia conveniently lists many of them. Emergence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find the notion of emergence a defeatist position. If I told you that kinetic energy was an emergent property of matter, and that an object at rest had no property which was readily identifiable as kinetic energy, then I think you would call my labeling of kinetic energy as an emergent property of matter disingenuous. Potential energy is a causal precursor to kinetic energy. There is definitely some factor which leads to the creation of kinetic energy. It does not appear out of thin air.

I apologize for the confusion. My point about quantum physics was that there is almost certainly (99.99 ad nauseum %) more that can be learned from Quantum physics and that it would be wrong to assume that nothing more could be learned simply because things defy our ability to predict as of yet.

We have not encountered anything which is not something other than matter or energy? Sounds like you are firmly entrenched against idealism then. Philosophers have been arguing about materialism versus idealism for centuries. And this doesn't even touch upon Cosmology. Would you really be willing to suppose that matter and energy compose everything at all levels of reality even that which is outside the universe? Take string theory for instance; Would you really suggest that strings were matter? Well what "substance" composes membranes then? What allowed for the creation of "membrane reality?" You keep going until you are forced to break. I am a neutral monist because I suppose that all things eventually break down into "preconsciousness." "Semi-self-aware data structures which have not yet managed to abstract via data recursion." It is interesting to note that wave-particles seem to be "aware" of constraints on the possibilities of their form, placement, velocity etc. And no I don't mean to suggest that things inside the universe are all pre-consciousness. When you bound your universe of discourse you can end up creating objective limitations on what is possible: matter and pre-consciousness that has qualitative value such that it responds to gravity; interacts with other matter, etc appear very much the same when you confine the discussion to "the universe."

I am not making an argument about what the experiments show. I am well aware that the experiments show that we cannot predict the outcomes of quantum events. What I am arguing is a meta-level constraint: it is not possible for there to be no causes what-so-ever. It might not be possible for us to predict with our perspective being limited to inside the universe or limited to a distinctly material human body. But that does not mean that it is entirely impossible. And that is what my argument is about; it is not possible for it to be entirely impossible to predict something. It will always be possible with the right perspective, the right data, and the right understanding to be able to predict something. You can't use nothing to get something. Nothing by its very definition does not allow for anything else it would be something. The fabric of the universe; the empty space of the universe; etc might do something, and from our limited perspective it might appear as though something was coming from nothing. There certainly doesn't seem like anything is going on at least that we can see. BUT for sake of argument suppose string theory is correct; if you could get a look at the strings responsible for governing that particular portion of spacetime and the particles involved, then you would definitely be able to see some sort of change. Factors "merely" need to be non-local or non-local and hidden (Bell's inequality seems to establish that local hidden variables cannot be responsible for the laws of physics as we understand them). So if we could somehow look outside the universe, then we would be able to see what was actually happening instead of it looking like something was coming from nothing.

Ultimately the question of "Is my Will constrained by conscious influences outside my own consciousness" is one that cannot be answered given our current perspective. What other state of consciousness do we have to compare such that we can establish a baseline for non-interference versus interference? If we are inside the matrix or thralls to alien masters, then we have never existed in such a way as to not have that be true. And if our wills are in fact "free," then how would we know what to look for in order to determine what a consciousness that is being influenced looked like? I certainly haven't met anyone that I could honestly point to and say: "This person is certainly a demon possessed individual" OR "Good thing I knew about this person being a brain in a vat and that their brain is compromised by alien mind control jelly."

MTF

waitasec

Veteran Member
I find it highly implausible that there is nothing out there for us to interact with in some meaningful way.

if i may, why does it have to meaningful?
there is no reason why we have to believe it has to be a meaningful interaction...
indifference is void of anything meaningful.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
if i may, why does it have to meaningful?
there is no reason why we have to believe it has to be a meaningful interaction...
indifference is void of anything meaningful.

There would literally have to be no intelligence anywhere else in reality (not merely the universe) in order for that to be the case. Whatever is out there might ignore us, in which case our "Interaction" would be meaningless, but that does not mean that meaningful interaction is impossible, merely that it has not occurred.

I am not suggesting that ET would want to communicate with us. In fact if you read my previous posts I have suggested that the most likely explanation for our lack of signs of ET is a combination of our limited perspective and their lack of concern with a cosmic ant that is too busy looking at scent trails to notice "whatever else is out there."

MTF

If we live in a world of cause and effect, then there is a cause for everything we do and think. Any "God" that knows everything would know everything that will happen and, incidentally, be able to predict every thought and move you and I ever make. (He would also find no purpse in his own existence!)

But since we do not know and never will be able to know everything that causes what we want, think and do, it is foolish to be fatalistic. It is practical to say we have "free will" and that there is no god who knows what we will always do! Moreover, what we do will not need to be "his will." :angel2:

tomteapack

tomteapack
Do Atheists believe in free-will?
Why or why not?
Animals have the ability to make choices. That ability is not, however, free will. Free will is a religious term that means GOD gave you the ability to choose, freely. That is patently nonsense, since no god or gods exist. What is factual is that all animals can make choices, but every choice they make has a cost. Choosing is NOT free, exercising will is NOT free, there is a cost to every decision you make or choose not to make. If you get up in the morning and leave the house, you may be hit by a bus, if you stay in bed you may be hit by a meteorite. A cockroach can decide to run to the light or dark and can learn to change his mind and make different choices. Cockroaches soon learn that if they go into the dark and receive an electrical charge, that they need to exercise their will and make a different choice. The penalty for going into the dark might be an electric shock and the penalty for running to the light, might mean a large shoe on the head--Choices have consequences/penalties/costs.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Does inductive validity hold sway with you Jar? If I told you that I had something which was 90% likely to be a carton of ice cream behind my back and you had a personal assessment of my honesty being 90% consider that my statement of probability was in fact strong evidence of there being a carton of ice cream behind my back?

In this particular instance, I would deem it to be very likely that you had a carton of ice cream behind your back. But as Carl Sagan put it, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, so if your claim had been, say, that you had a fairy behind your back, that would be different.

I find it highly implausible that there is nothing out there for us to interact with in some meaningful way. Perhaps we are too late, and by the time we get out there, wherever there is, we will not be able to have a meeting of the minds, but that does not mean that nothing can be learned. An ant might not have any evidence that it can understand that humans exist, but not having any evidence one can understand is not the same as there exists no evidence at all. Our limited perspective and limited exposure to the universe (cosmic infancy) makes it seem highly probable that we are simply unable to see the evidence not that there is no evidence to ever be found.

Well, seeing as I never claimed that there was no evidence, I still hold that until such time when this evidence becomes available the most logical thing to do is to stick with the Null Hypothesis.

"Free Will" requires your will be unconstrained by the direct influence of some other form of conscious direction, not that your will be free from externalities. Externalities are necessary in order to learn. The form your consciousness ultimately takes is derived from your experiences modifying who and what you are. So I do not think that the scientist and the theologian can disagree that Free Will does not preclude outside influences in the form of perception of one's surroundings.

Agreed, although I have heard theists claim that free will indeed does preclude outside influences in all shapes and forms.

There are numerous examples of things "considered" to be emergent; wikpedia conveniently lists many of them. Emergence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Granted. :)

I find the notion of emergence a defeatist position. If I told you that kinetic energy was an emergent property of matter, and that an object at rest had no property which was readily identifiable as kinetic energy, then I think you would call my labeling of kinetic energy as an emergent property of matter disingenuous. Potential energy is a causal precursor to kinetic energy. There is definitely some factor which leads to the creation of kinetic energy. It does not appear out of thin air.

Again, when dealing with the question of consciousness I see the term 'emergent property' to be a place-holder until we have a better understanding of what really happens.

I apologize for the confusion. My point about quantum physics was that there is almost certainly (99.99 ad nauseum %) more that can be learned from Quantum physics and that it would be wrong to assume that nothing more could be learned simply because things defy our ability to predict as of yet.

Already agreed to this, so, yes. :)

We have not encountered anything which is not something other than matter or energy? Sounds like you are firmly entrenched against idealism then.

When considering an observable empirical evidence based universe idealism is an impossible position to base one's views from.
Also, I find the notion to be highly impractical and basically useless. It is one of those discussions that are interesting to have once, and then it becomes pointless. But that's just my opinion. ;)

Would you really be willing to suppose that matter and energy compose everything at all levels of reality even that which is outside the universe?

One universe at the time mate. One universe at the time. ;)
Seriously though, considering that we have no idea if there even is anything 'outside the universe' or if that even makes any kind of sense I feel that anything anyone might say about what that 'reality' might or might not be like would be highly speculative by definition.

Take string theory for instance; Would you really suggest that strings were matter? Well what "substance" composes membranes then? What allowed for the creation of "membrane reality?" You keep going until you are forced to break.

They could be energy for all I know, but currently we don't even know whether these strings and membranes even exist or if String theory is even valid. Thus, we're into speculative territory again.

I am a neutral monist because I suppose that all things eventually break down into "preconsciousness." "Semi-self-aware data structures which have not yet managed to abstract via data recursion." It is interesting to note that wave-particles seem to be "aware" of constraints on the possibilities of their form, placement, velocity etc. And no I don't mean to suggest that things inside the universe are all pre-consciousness. When you bound your universe of discourse you can end up creating objective limitations on what is possible: matter and pre-consciousness that has qualitative value such that it responds to gravity; interacts with other matter, etc appear very much the same when you confine the discussion to "the universe."

Just following the evidence mate. Just following the evidence. :)

What I am arguing is a meta-level constraint: it is not possible for there to be no causes what-so-ever.

Granted, this is what classical physics tells us, but at the same time, it appears that we might have to modify our physics models anyway, so this may or may not hold water.

It might not be possible for us to predict with our perspective being limited to inside the universe or limited to a distinctly material human body. But that does not mean that it is entirely impossible. And that is what my argument is about; it is not possible for it to be entirely impossible to predict something. It will always be possible with the right perspective, the right data, and the right understanding to be able to predict something.

Perhaps. But how does that help us if we can't get access to this perspective, this data or this understanding?

You can't use nothing to get something.

Except, perhaps, Zero Point Energy: Zero-point energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :D

Nothing by its very definition does not allow for anything else it would be something. The fabric of the universe; the empty space of the universe; etc might do something, and from our limited perspective it might appear as though something was coming from nothing. There certainly doesn't seem like anything is going on at least that we can see. BUT for sake of argument suppose string theory is correct; if you could get a look at the strings responsible for governing that particular portion of spacetime and the particles involved, then you would definitely be able to see some sort of change. Factors "merely" need to be non-local or non-local and hidden (Bell's inequality seems to establish that local hidden variables cannot be responsible for the laws of physics as we understand them). So if we could somehow look outside the universe, then we would be able to see what was actually happening instead of it looking like something was coming from nothing.

I agree that this is certainly possible, and if/when String theory pans out, we might get some testable results to verify. Until then, I withhold judgement.
I'm not terrible afraid of saying 'I don't know'. :)

Ultimately the question of "Is my Will constrained by conscious influences outside my own consciousness" is one that cannot be answered given our current perspective. What other state of consciousness do we have to compare such that we can establish a baseline for non-interference versus interference? If we are inside the matrix or thralls to alien masters, then we have never existed in such a way as to not have that be true. And if our wills are in fact "free," then how would we know what to look for in order to determine what a consciousness that is being influenced looked like? I certainly haven't met anyone that I could honestly point to and say: "This person is certainly a demon possessed individual" OR "Good thing I knew about this person being a brain in a vat and that their brain is compromised by alien mind control jelly."

Agreed. And these are clearly unfalsifiable concepts, which makes them, at best philosophical, and most definitely unscientific.

To be fair, I think we mostly agree. ;)