• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do all suns put out the same 'kind'of radiation?

Cooky

Veteran Member
20181202_154512.jpg

I was just staring at the ground and noticed that the sun was shining, but the reflection off a glass building produced a different, brighter, beam of light displayed in contrast with the suns rays by the shadow of a small pillar. So I imagined a planet with two suns, and wondered what that would be like.

So are all suns the same? Or no.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No. Stars vary quite a bit. The main difference is their temperature, which affects the main color of the star. Hotter stars are more blue and colder stars are more red. The bluer ones, because they are hotter, tend to produce more UV and even gamma rays, while the colder stars tend to be more Infrared.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
They can simulate things like that on a computer, so you can get an image that is similar what it ought to look like as if you were there. The technology used is called ray tracing. First you have your computer make a model of the ground or area where you are. Then you have it simulate point light sources set at a particular distance. In addition you have to also account for the properties of reflective surfaces, the colors in the spectrum, etc. You can do a lot of this yourself if you use Blender or some other program that does ray tracing. Its just a simulation, however.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
you can also make double exposures a few minutes apart...or heck, hours apart. Easy to combine digitally, a bit more difficult using film, back in the day...

Cooky

Veteran Member
No. Stars vary quite a bit. The main difference is their temperature, which affects the main color of the star. Hotter stars are more blue and colder stars are more red. The bluer ones, because they are hotter, tend to produce more UV and even gamma rays, while the colder stars tend to be more Infrared.

I wonder how it would have effected life had there been a blue star somewhat closer to our solar system, producing enough light to reach earth.

...Considering that the suns Ray's are a very important factor in plants and animals... I wonder if a different 'kind' of sun would have had any evolutionary effects over an extended period of time.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder how it would have effected life had there been a blue star somewhat closer to our solar system, producing enough light to reach earth.

...Considering that the suns Ray's are a very important factor in plants and animals... I wonder if a different 'kind' of sun would have had any evolutionary effects over an extended period of time.

Well, if you look up at night and see a bluish star, the light from that star has reached the Earth. if you are in a city, the light pollution might prevent this, but go out to the country and you will see hundreds of stars of varying colors.

A bluer star, with the higher energy UV rays, would tend to break down many of the chemicals of life *unless* the planet were farther from that star or had a much more substantial atmosphere.

whirlingmerc

View attachment 25844
I was just staring at the ground and noticed that the sun was shining, but the reflection off a glass building produced a different, brighter, beam of light displayed in contrast with the suns rays by the shadow of a small pillar. So I imagined a planet with two suns, and wondered what that would be like.

No... depends on the temperature...
red sun is a lower temperature
yellow is in the middle
blue is higher

suns vary in how stable or variable they are.
Our yellow sin is fairly stable in comparison

Size and brightness vary a great deal

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes. All suns put out electromagnetic radiation.
To vague a generalization. Everything that is hot puts out electromagnetic radiation.

Ah . . . on second thought everything puts out electromagnetic radiation except Black Holes.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
I answered the OP correctly, as you just confirmed. If you want to axe a more specific question, start your own thread.

But in truth, we don't really know what radiates out from every kind of sun, whether they're blue giants or red supergiants or yellow hypergiants... because we've never flown anything close enough to analyze it. Right?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
View attachment 25844

i gave listen to a biography of a woman who categorized a lengthy list of known stars
I beg forgiveness .....I forgot her name

single handedly she sorted every star by it's spectrum signature
no two are the same

I think that happened before satellite telescopes

Axe Elf

Prophet
But in truth, we don't really know what radiates out from every kind of sun, whether they're blue giants or red supergiants or yellow hypergiants... because we've never flown anything close enough to analyze it. Right?

There may be more to learn, but what we DO know already is that all suns put out electromagnetic radiation, so the correct answer to the OP is "yes." Regardless of what else they might put out, all suns do put out the same kind of radiation--namely electromagnetic.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Um...Hawking radiation, most likely.

Hawking radiation is theoretically is due to the black hole capturing one of a particle-antiparticle pair created spontaneously near to the event horizon .Once in the Black Hole, lots of luck getting out.