• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Divisions in Islam - Combatting Fundamentalism?

jaydr80

Hi everyone,

I just read a really interesting article at thinkthenact.com.

It seems to assert that the only way to combat terrorism and fundamentalism within Islam is for the Muslims to do it themselves. Any ideas? Comparisons between current sectarian and fundamentalist violence in Islam with, ah, the Protestant Reformation and subsequent Inquisitions in Christianity?

?
J

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
It's not that bad, though. There's really very little division within the Muslim community. You have Sunni and Shia main branches, which get along perfectly well in most regions of the world. Then you have have other sects - Sufism, Hanafi, whatever else - with an even better relationship with all groups.

The war in Iraq isn't really Islam-wide.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
jaydr80 said:
Hi everyone,

It seems to assert that the only way to combat terrorism and fundamentalism within Islam is for the Muslims to do it themselves. Any ideas? Comparisons between current sectarian and fundamentalist violence in Islam with, ah, the Protestant Reformation and subsequent Inquisitions in Christianity?

?
J

Hmmmmm and what you think the Muslims can do toward it?

Any suggestions?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Djamila said:
It's not that bad, though. There's really very little division within the Muslim community. You have Sunni and Shia main branches, which get along perfectly well in most regions of the world. Then you have have other sects - Sufism, Hanafi, whatever else - with an even better relationship with all groups.

I thought the Hanafi were a very liberal and old school of the Sunni.
I think they would have a lot to teach the other groups.

AbuQuteiba

Terrywoodenpic said:
I thought the Hanafi were a very liberal and old school of the Sunni.
I think they would have a lot to teach the other groups.

The Hanafi, is actually a school of jurisprudence of the Sunna. It is in no way considered a sect. of Islam. The same goe's for Maliki, Shafi'i, and Hanbali.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
champion said:
The Hanafi, is actually a school of jurisprudence of the Sunna. It is in no way considered a sect. of Islam. The same goe's for Maliki, Shafi'i, and Hanbali.

Very true!

I use the term sect too liberally, I suppose. "School of jurisprudence" is harder to remember and doesn't really convey the level of difference between, for example, a Turkish Hanafi Muslim and a Saudi Wahhabi Muslim.

But in scholarly, official, etc. terms - you're right.

AbuQuteiba

Djamila said:

Very little division within the Muslim communtiy? That claim goe's against the Qur'an, and the teachings of the Prophet(SAWS). In which regions exactly do Sunna and Shi'a get along fine? And what do you mean when you say get along? As in they're not killing eachother? If so, I'de have to agree. But considering the actual belief system, they very much differ. They, the Shia, even have their own Mosque's.

The last sentence was just way off. Hanafi, is not even a sect of Islam. It's a school of Jurisprudence, inside the Sunni sect.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
champion said:
Very little division within the Muslim communtiy? That claim goe's against the Qur'an, and the teachings of the Prophet(SAWS). In which regions exactly do Sunna and Shi'a get along fine? And what do you mean when you say get along? As in they're not killing eachother? If so, I'de have to agree. But considering the actual belief system, they very much differ. They, the Shia, even have their own Mosque's.

The last sentence was just way off. Hanafi, is not even a sect of Islam. It's a school of Jurisprudence, inside the Sunni sect.

Sunni and Shia get along fairly well just about everywhere - especially in Azerbaijan, Dagestan, Ingushetia, Chechnya and other Caucasus republics. They have notably good relations in Bahrain and Lebanon also.

It's really only Iraq that's the stand-out example of conflict between the two. All the major Sunni schools of jurisprudence that I'm aware of accept Shia as Muslims.

Most of the imagined conflict among Arabs (who only account for 15% of Muslims, remember) is because Iranians are Persians and there's a historic conflict there.

You're viewing a regional tension in global terms and it just doesn't make sense.

Jews in Bosnia almost always live in Muslim-dominated cities, and if not - in Muslim areas of other cities. They have excellent relations, probably the closest two religious groups of any in this country.

If I go around saying Muslims and Jews are best friends, that doesn't make sense - because it's not the global norm.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
jaydr80 said:
Hi everyone,

?
J
I agree that 90% or more of the effort to combat fundamentalism in any religion is up to the followers of that religion, regardless of whether we're talking about Islam or any other religion. That is, I think the best way to combat fundamentalism is for people of the same faith to offer a viable spiritual alternative to fundamentalism.

Outside groups might have a role to play, but I see their role as more constrained than the role played by members of the same faith.

AbuQuteiba

Djamila said:
Very true!

I use the term sect too liberally, I suppose. "School of jurisprudence" is harder to remember and doesn't really convey the level of difference between, for example, a Turkish Hanafi Muslim and a Saudi Wahhabi Muslim.

But in scholarly, official, etc. terms - you're right.

The Champ is going to rest this one out. There is an incredible amount of confusion in your last post, so I'm going to do my best to clear it all up, InshaAllah. Anyway---

First of all, nationality has nothing to do with any of the sort of differences you're trying to highlight in this thread. Second, there is no such thing as a Wahhabbi. I would like this point to be the most clear. The so-called "Wahhabbis" are what knowledgeable people would call Muslims, and they adhere to the Holy Qur'an, the Sunnah [Prophetic Tradition], and the Prophet's (SAWS) Companions of the first three generations. Mohammad Ibn AbdulWahab was simply a righteous man who came at a time when shirk was rampant among the lands, and what he did was set peopele straight by calling them to Tawhid and aboloshing all forms of bid'aa.

Those who followed Sheikh Ibn AbdulWahab unfortunately came to be known as "Wahhabbis," and (again) unfortunately, they are the ones who are often seen as "extremists" and are commonly linked to such terrorists as Osama Bin Laden (who, by the way, hates the so-called "Wahhabbis"). On to the next point. The Hanafi "school" (I use quotation marks because they really aren't a school, but that is for another time) is simply one of the four main jurisprudence "schools" of Islam, and nothing else. Al-Hanafi, along with the other three, never disagreed on those things that contradicted the Qur'an and the Sunnah, but they did happen to have differing opinions on common matters of jurisprudence.

I hope what I have said is clear. If not, then InshaAllah the Champ will do his best to instill further clarity.

AbuQuteiba

Oh, and one more thing: there is nothing wrong with being a fundamentalist or with fundamentalism. In fact, it's the only way to go. What is fundamentalism but the practice of adhering to the fundamentals, the basics and the very core of a certain way? Likewise, it is of the utmost importance that Muslims adhere to the fundamentals of their Way, for that will lead to them being successful, InshaAllah.

Do not be misled by the misuse of the term by the low-life Neo-Cons of the West; surely they are the true enemies.
---Bu Seif

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jaydr80 said:
Hi everyone,

?
J

Of course you are right; not having the mind of a Muslim, I have no suggestion to offer you - except to suggest that you find as many like minded people as yourself (I am assuming that you are a Muslim), and that you work together. You might be surprised to find that you are in the majority.