• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diversity of political opinions in a UU church

applewuud

There are several threads in this forum discussing about the lack of political diversity in many UU churches, that conservatives can be made to feel like heretics.

Now that the election is over, we have a chance to take a deep breath and contemplate all the energy that was expended, largely in getting us to distrust "the other side" (whatever that was). We might consider religion as a binding force, not a partisan force.

Last Sunday Marlin Lavanhar of All Souls UU in Tulsa was talking about the fact that the board of his church is split almost equally between Democrats and Republicans, and that when the church was founded in 1920 it was through the joint efforts of two families that had opposed each other on the building of a dam to supply water to Tulsa.

This week I heard an interview about two gentlemen who wrote a book. They’re friends, and it’s a book about how do we get past this divide, how do we learn to talk to one another across our political differences. One of the authors is a conservative Mormon and a Republican, and the other is a liberal democrat professor, I believe. They said that they are able to maintain their friendship despite their differences because it begins with respect. They know that the other person is honest and caring and very smart; it’s not a question, they respect one another. And they want to listen to each other because they’re curious. Why would you think that this is a good idea for our country? Why would you think this could actually help people or be good for the poor, be good for our nation? It starts with respect and genuine curiosity. You’re intelligent, you’re caring.

And the funny thing is each one of them knows that they’re right and the other one’s wrong, that’s not even on the table for them really…they just wanna know even though they’re wrong, the one thing is that they never think the other person is heartless or stupid or greedy or wanting or wanting a handout or bent on destroying our democracy. It just doesn’t come up.

What these two friends have learned in their relationship is what this church requires of its members. This is a covenanted church which means that we’re not bound together by one belief that we recite every time we get together, we all agree on. It’s founded on a promise that we make to each other when we join the church. and we speak it to each other every time we gather and worship, to say: this is how I promise to live my life, and this is how I promise to treat you and to be a part of this community: to seek the truth in love, to dwell together in peace and to hep one another. It’s a profound little statement and way to organize one’s life in their religious life in their community. Not around everyone has to believe alike, everyone has to think alike, everyone has to be alike, it’s about how we care for one another and how we treat one another.

What binds us together is not our political views, it’s not our social class, it’s not where we live geographically [in the city], it’s not even what we believe about God. What holds us together is a vision of the world made better through love and service and through our combined efforts. Never doubt that a small group of people, thoughtful and committed people, can change the world; it’s probably the only thing that ever has.

The full sermon (it's a long one, 33 minutes!) is at
[youtube]UdkUvVC0Bm8[/youtube]
United We Stand - Rev. Marlin Lavanhar - YouTube

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
It's a great sentiment, but there's one thing missing in the phrase "to dwell together in peace, to seek the truth in love, and to help one another." Most UU churches also "affirm and promote" seven principles. The "dwell together in peace ... " affirmation could be applicable in any number of different kinds of organizations: clubs, home owners associations, the United Way, etc. It is those seven principles that make UU a religion.

Now, those seven principles do not have a political bias. Rather, political bias may, itself, deliberately disclaim the religious principles of our faith.

We have Republicans in our congregation. However, each and every one of them would be (viciously) labeled a "RINO" by other Republicans. So can we really say that our congregations have political diversity? I think, as long as some political perspectives directly and incontrovertibly repudiate our religious principles, political diversity is effectively precluded (but again, just to be clear: not by the faith, but rather by the discretion of those who adhere to political perspectives that repudiate our faith's principles).

Last edited:
I believe there will always be conservatives in Unitarian Universalism, at least advocates for fiscal responsibility. What we have these days, however, is a Republican party that is moving so far to the right that it's abandoning most Unitarian Universalists (not the other way around). A few moderates remain, but not nearly as many as a generation or two ago, but again that's because they've been left behind by the Party.

As All Souls proclaims in its vision statement, diversity is understood to be a potential asset instead of a liability, and a natural part of the human experience. In their three Sunday services, they reflect that desire through a humanist service, an eclectic religious (protestant format) service and a (Universalist-Pentecostal style) "praise service". The spirit of mutuality and respect that they encourage on Sunday mornings sends out important messages to the larger community, and the city is taking notice. This year All Souls was voted by the readers of Urban Tulsa magazine as the "Absolute Best Church" in the city. I'm proud to call it my church home.