• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ditching a friend for offensive beliefs?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
First I am not comparing the espiscopal church with any other modern church but with the early church of the bible. That is my point of reference and I am entitled to do that and I do do that with every church. The espiscopal church was merely being discussed, because it had relevance to my correspondent.

The episcopalians are also in the news recently for calling Trump out on hypocrisy. They warrant discussion for that reason also.
The Episcopal church doesn't try to derive itself from the bible up through attempted reverse engineering of scripture but leans on the (lengthy) writings, creeds, discourses and prayer books. Divining what the early church may have been is tricky business, though we all try.

I suspect there are many churches you've never heard of. What about the Free Presbyterians or the Anabaptist groups formally part of the Mennonite World Conference? There are so many denominations it is impossible to know of all of them.

The sins being complained of in 1 John were to do with a prevailing brand of gnosticism with docetic implications denying that Christ had come in the flesh, to be more compatible with the prevailing paganism of gods begetting gods in heaven, which regretably is reproduced in modern high Trinitarianism, such as the espiscopal church also espouses, where the son is referred to as begot in heaven, and in a "union" with the flesh, rather than "made flesh."

So there may be more connection between episcopalianism and the opponents in 1 John than you care to imagine.
I don't think I can agree with you on that about 1 John. It seems an inadequate explanation, mainly because most of the books about gnosticism were destroyed and because James is included in the canon with John. John 1 says to walk in the light. James 1 says we are given birth through the word of truth by the father of the heavenly lights who does not change like shifting shadows. That we do change like shifting shadows is implied. Both writers emphasize humility, confession of our faults and of course performance, lots of performance. No church I've encountered can hold a candle to the standard these writers propose. We have to begin with tolerating people who disagree with us about things that we think are doctrinal. Sure...sexual immorality is something to stay away from, but no church I've encountered is so good that its even relevant. They're so busy doing nothing. It appeals to ridiculousness to choose the sin that doesn't affect us and harp on it when we're toting so much baggage ourselves. Does this make sense? If you can get a church to do anything its like a miracle. Who is the most famous Christian today? Mother Theresa..because she's practically the only Christian in the entire world to attempt to actually live like a Christian. In the midst of such a slack church to me it makes no sense to point fingers, and doctrinal purity isn't going to make people love each other more. Vice versa though is true. Loving people more will take care of doctrinal problems. Lack of love is why there are doctrinal problems, so err in being too loving and too merciful.

eik

The Episcopal church doesn't try to derive itself from the bible up through attempted reverse engineering of scripture but leans on the (lengthy) writings, creeds, discourses and prayer books. Divining what the early church may have been is tricky business, though we all try.
I know a lot about the episcopal church as I was baptized into it. Don't suppose I am in any sense a stranger to it. It is now far too liberal for my liking. and I detest its legions of female priests condemning others for hypocrisy when they themselves are brazen hypocrites,

I don't think I can agree with you on that about 1 John.
Why ever not? It's well known John was attacking those who did not believe that Christ came in the flesh.

1Jo 4:2
Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

1Jo 4:3
And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.​

It seems an inadequate explanation, mainly because most of the books about gnosticism were destroyed and because James is included in the canon with John. John 1 says to walk in the light. James 1 says we are given birth through the word of truth by the father of the heavenly lights who does not change like shifting shadows. That we do change like shifting shadows is implied. Both writers emphasize humility, confession of our faults and of course performance, lots of performance. No church I've encountered can hold a candle to the standard these writers propose. We have to begin with tolerating people who disagree with us about things that we think are doctrinal.
No I don't think this is true.

Tit 3:10
Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition,​

Paul did not put up with heretical doctrines.

Sure...sexual immorality is something to stay away from, but no church I've encountered is so good that its even relevant.
What? The command to reject the sexually immoral is as material today as it was yesterday. 1 Cor 5:11.

They're so busy doing nothing. It appeals to ridiculousness to choose the sin that doesn't affect us and harp on it when we're toting so much baggage ourselves. Does this make sense? If you can get a church to do anything its like a miracle. Who is the most famous Christian today? Mother Theresa..because she's practically the only Christian in the entire world to attempt to actually live like a Christian.
Why doesn't sexual immorality affect church goers? Of course it does. Even in the episcopal church adultery is a prosecutable offence.

Mother Theresa: Only famous because she's a Catholic. Anyway she's dead for 23 years.

In the midst of such a slack church to me it makes no sense to point fingers, and doctrinal purity isn't going to make people love each other more. Vice versa though is true. Loving people more will take care of doctrinal problems. Lack of love is why there are doctrinal problems, so err in being too loving and too merciful.
I don't agree that false doctrine is to be tolerated, or the sexually immoral, especially in those who defer to themselves as Christians.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I know a lot about the episcopal church as I was baptized into it. Don't suppose I am in any sense a stranger to it. It is now far too liberal for my liking. and I detest its legions of female priests condemning others for hypocrisy when they themselves are brazen hypocrites,
Ok, I understand.

Why ever not? It's well known John was attacking those who did not believe that Christ came in the flesh.

1Jo 4:2
Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

1Jo 4:3
And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
First Epistle of John - Wikipedia

According to the wikipedia article linked above its written not about gnostics or about those that don't believe Christ came in the fles but those that don't believe Jesus is the preexistent Son. I'm not partial to that interpretation, but it means your interpretation is not quite so well known as you seem to claim. It seems to me its debatable what the letter is about in some parts. In my estimation 'Antichrist' at the time it is written probably means something like 'anti-universal' or 'anti-catholic', but I'm in the minority on that. There's also an assumption whenever you interpret that phrase you mentioned "confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh" particularly when you consider John's gospel chapter 1 which says that the word comes down and is tabernacled among us. There appear to be several ways of reading these words, at least in English. Does it mean we must not deny that Christ has come and dwelt within us or that Jesus is God or that Jesus is Christ or what? Its one of those things where many Christians do not agree or have not even come to an absolute conclusion. Even so I think all of those Christians ought to be in fellowship, together. The fact that they don't indicates to me that a lot of the reasons to divide meetings are actually excuses.

No I don't think this is true.

Tit 3:10
Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition,
Paul did not put up with heretical doctrines.
(NIV 1Co 11:19-20) "19 No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval. 20 So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat,..."
Sure, a divisive man but what if you are having communion and people differ in opinions? Apparently 'Divisive' means someone who wants to split up the meeting over a disagreement. Should people part ways over a differing opinion? Apparently not according to Paul in a totally different letter from Titus. They should put aside differences, and isn't that the spiritual thing? Isn't it better to suppress pride and anxiety? Does the leper infect Jesus, or does Jesus cleanse the leper?

What? The command to reject the sexually immoral is as material today as it was yesterday. 1 Cor 5:11.
Yes, I see, I see. Paul tells the Corinthians to put out this person who is involved in sexual relation that even the pagans do not tolerate, sleeping with his father's wife. I'll tell you what I think about that: I put to you that in early Christian churches sex is considered a waste of time and means of reproduction and secondarily as a means to curb further sexual fervor. In fact all time wasted, all overeating, all kinds of things that church people do are unacceptable, totally unacceptable. The case of this individual in this church is exceptional because of the severity of the action going beyond. Such severity has been applied unfairly to all sorts of faults in modern times. Prohibition is one example. In your opinion homosexuality attains a level of severity which is unacceptable to you. I hear you. You'll have to make that decision.

I notice we are looking at 1 Corinthians which seems to run counter to what you have said about Titus 3:10. 1 Corinthians specifically doesn't want churches dividing over disagreements...perhaps disagreements such as the nature of abstract philosophical concepts about Jesus and God? We don't know, because lots of books were destroyed. Somebody tried to erase anything that was not in accordance with their opinion and didn't see fit to entrust you and I with the means to make our own decisions. It seems that some people don't think we have the means to obtain wisdom from God, contrary to what James 1 claims. Its perplexing that the same canon what says A is contradicted by the actions of those deciding what that canon should be. I don't know how to resolve that embarrassing issue. When people ask me I might change the subject.

Why doesn't sexual immorality affect church goers? Of course it does. Even in the episcopal church adultery is a prosecutable offence.

Mother Theresa: Only famous because she's a Catholic. Anyway she's dead for 23 years.
I did not know that about the Episcopal church. I think that is ridiculous both for practical reasons and because I think they don't have the standing to prosecute anyone. That must be a leftover from the bloody reformation wars when governments took sides in it.

I don't agree that false doctrine is to be tolerated, or the sexually immoral, especially in those who defer to themselves as Christians.
I think people have to tolerate each other, but we find excuses to divide the church over unnecessary items. Sometime look up all the stupid sounding reasons for church splits, and you will be amazed. You'll wonder at it. People don't value communion like it should be valued.

eik

Ok, I understand.

First Epistle of John - Wikipedia

According to the wikipedia article linked above its written not about gnostics or about those that don't believe Christ came in the fles but those that don't believe Jesus is the preexistent Son. I'm not partial to that interpretation, but it means your interpretation is not quite so well known as you seem to claim. It seems to me its debatable what the letter is about in some parts. In my estimation 'Antichrist' at the time it is written probably means something like 'anti-universal' or 'anti-catholic', but I'm in the minority on that. There's also an assumption whenever you interpret that phrase you mentioned "confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh" particularly when you consider John's gospel chapter 1 which says that the word comes down and is tabernacled among us. There appear to be several ways of reading these words, at least in English. Does it mean we must not deny that Christ has come and dwelt within us or that Jesus is God or that Jesus is Christ or what? Its one of those things where many Christians do not agree or have not even come to an absolute conclusion. Even so I think all of those Christians ought to be in fellowship, together. The fact that they don't indicates to me that a lot of the reasons to divide meetings are actually excuses.
The idea of the pre-existent "son" has no resonance in the NT, because it is a high Trinitarian concept not developed until much later, In the NT, "son" is identified with Jesus, not with a pre-existence Jesus, although that's not to say he didn't prexist, I note the Wiki article is written by High Trinitarians, (deduced from the name "Jerome" in "The New Jerome Biblical Commentary" which is referenced), but which High Trinitarians the epistle may well be directed against, in any case.

I would look at older sources for a more impartial view. This is what Barnes' commentary has to say:

(1) the persons referred to had been professing Christians, and were now apostates from the faith. This is clear from 1 John 2:19, ‹They went out from us, but they were not of us,‘ etc. They had been members of the church, but they had now become teachers of error.

(2) they were probably of the sect of the “Docetae;” or if that sect had not then formally sprung up, and was not organized, they held the opinions which they afterward embraced. This sect was a branch of the great Gnostic family; and the peculiarity of the opinion which they held was that Christ was only in appearance and seemingly, but not in reality, a man; that though he seemed to converse, to eat, to suffer, and to die, yet this was merely an “appearance” assumed by the Son of God for important purposes in regard to man. He had, according to this view, “no real humanity;” but though the Son of God had actually appeared in the world, yet all this was only an assumed form for the purpose of a manifestation to men. The opinions of the “Docetes” are thus represented by Gibbon: “They denied the truth and authenticity of the Gospels, as far as they relate the conception of Mary, the birth of Christ, and the thirty years which preceded the first exercise of his ministry. He first appeared on the banks of the Jordan in the form of perfect manhood; but it was a form only, and not a substance; a human figure created by the hand of Omnipotence to imitate the faculties and actions of a man, and to impose a perpetual illusion on the senses of his friends and enemies. Articulate sounds vibrated on the ears of his disciples; but the image which was impressed on their optic nerve, eluded the more stubborn evidence of the touch, and they enjoyed the spiritual, but not the corporeal presence of the Son of God. The rage of the Jews was idly wasted against an impassive phantom, and the mystic scenes of the passion and death, the resurrection and ascension of Christ, were represented on the theater of Jerusalem for the benefit of mankind.” - Decl. and Fall, vol. iii. p. 245, Ed. New York, 1829. Compare vol. i. 440.

That these views began to prevail in the latter part of the first century there can be no reason to doubt; and there can be as little doubt that the author of this Epistle had this doctrine in his eye, and that he deemed it to be of special importance in this Epistle, as he had done in his Gospel, to show that the Son of God had actually “come in the flesh;” that he was truly and properly a man; that he lived and died in reality, and not in appearance only. Hence, the allusion to these views in such passages as the following: “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life - that which we have seen and heard declare we unto you,” 1 John 1:1, 1 John 1:3. “Many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know we the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ ‹is come in the flesh‘ is of God; and every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God; and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come,” 1 John 4:1-3. Compare 1 John 4:9, 1 John 4:14-15; 1 John 5:1, 1John 5:6,1 John 5:10-12. John had written his Gospel to show that Jesus was the Christ, John 20:31; he had furnished ample proof that he was divine, or was equal with the Father, John 1:1-14, and also that he was truly a man, John 15:25-27; but still it seemed proper to furnish a more unequivocal statement that he had actually appeared “in the flesh,” not in appearance only but in reality, and this purpose evidently was a leading design of this Epistle.​

(NIV 1Co 11:19-20) "19 No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval. 20 So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat,..."
Sure, a divisive man but what if you are having communion and people differ in opinions? Apparently 'Divisive' means someone who wants to split up the meeting over a disagreement. Should people part ways over a differing opinion? Apparently not according to Paul in a totally different letter from Titus. They should put aside differences, and isn't that the spiritual thing? Isn't it better to suppress pride and anxiety? Does the leper infect Jesus, or does Jesus cleanse the leper?
Differences in "opinions" can be tolerated, provided "opinion" does not extend to moral or others issues governed by apostolic authority.

Yes, I see, I see. Paul tells the Corinthians to put out this person who is involved in sexual relation that even the pagans do not tolerate, sleeping with his father's wife. I'll tell you what I think about that: I put to you that in early Christian churches sex is considered a waste of time and means of reproduction and secondarily as a means to curb further sexual fervor. In fact all time wasted, all overeating, all kinds of things that church people do are unacceptable, totally unacceptable. The case of this individual in this church is exceptional because of the severity of the action going beyond. Such severity has been applied unfairly to all sorts of faults in modern times. Prohibition is one example. In your opinion homosexuality attains a level of severity which is unacceptable to you. I hear you. You'll have to make that decision.
The issue of homosexuality is clearly governed by apostolic authority, and is not a matter of opinion:

1 Cor 6:9 "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to or perform homosexual acts, 10nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.…"​

I notice we are looking at 1 Corinthians which seems to run counter to what you have said about Titus 3:10. 1 Corinthians specifically doesn't want churches dividing over disagreements...perhaps disagreements such as the nature of abstract philosophical concepts about Jesus and God? We don't know, because lots of books were destroyed. Somebody tried to erase anything that was not in accordance with their opinion and didn't see fit to entrust you and I with the means to make our own decisions. It seems that some people don't think we have the means to obtain wisdom from God, contrary to what James 1 claims. Its perplexing that the same canon what says A is contradicted by the actions of those deciding what that canon should be. I don't know how to resolve that embarrassing issue. When people ask me I might change the subject.

I did not know that about the Episcopal church. I think that is ridiculous both for practical reasons and because I think they don't have the standing to prosecute anyone. That must be a leftover from the bloody reformation wars when governments took sides in it.
What I mean is, ministers can be defrocked for adultery. Happens quite regularly.

Married vicar who preached against gay marriage sacked for affair with parishioner | Daily Mail Online

I think people have to tolerate each other, but we find excuses to divide the church over unnecessary items. Sometime look up all the stupid sounding reasons for church splits, and you will be amazed. You'll wonder at it. People don't value communion like it should be valued.
I agree that there is a need for tolerance, but in the liberal age, it is taken far too far. The church has become a laughing stock, which is why, as I said earlier, its numbers are rapidly diminishing.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
The idea of the pre-existent "son" has no resonance in the NT, because it is a high Trinitarian concept not developed until much later, In the NT, "son" is identified with Jesus, not with a pre-existence Jesus, although that's not to say he didn't prexist, I note the Wiki article is written by High Trinitarians, (deduced from the name "Jerome" in "The New Jerome Biblical Commentary" which is referenced), but which High Trinitarians the epistle may well be directed against, in any case.
I try to understand and also to listen. I never get into debates about the date that the gospel of John is written, because I don't know the necessary information. It is generally considered canon, and this term uses the term 'Logos'. The way I understand John it is describing the creation of Jesus ministry and says in the beginning 'Was' (emphasizing past tense) the 'Logos' which was in 'Theos' and was 'Theos'. Then out of that came the life which was the light of men: Jesus or his ministry first begun through the baptist named John, whose name means 'The dove'. My bible margin would agree that the Trinity is a later understood concept: no problem for me. If I take John as the basis of my understanding of Jesus and Christ, then its to me John's opinion that the pre-existent spirit of the Son comes and rests upon Jesus, and he is declared the adopted Son, much like a convert to Christ. No doubt this puts me into line with most unitarians, however I accept fellowship with trinitarians and consider myself one in a sense though not in the sense that many people do. Let God be true and every man a liar.

I would look at older sources for a more impartial view. This is what Barnes' commentary has to say:

(1) the persons referred to had been professing Christians, and were now apostates from the faith. This is clear from 1 John 2:19, ‹They went out from us, but they were not of us,‘ etc. They had been members of the church, but they had now become teachers of error.
Let me point out that 1 John 2:1 begins by declaring that if anyone does sin we have an advocate. The problem with these people was that they went out, but before they went out there were signs they did not belong.

Chapter 2 we might consider a description of why they didn't belong:
  • vs6 they didn't live as Jesus did.
  • vs9 they hated
  • vs15 they loved the world's ways
  • vs17 they harboured worldly desires
This 1 John equates with the light which causes division, yet that division is do to those who hate their brother and leave. Those who hated their brother stepped out of the light. Verse 11 says accusatively "...Anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them." Notice these people were not kicked out but left.

Returning from 1John to the gospel of John first three chapters, same topic: That light of Jesus ministry then divides his generation of Jews into two groups: those step into the light are the good and those who do not are those whose deeds are evil. This division is mentioned by the apostle Peter in Acts. Peter is quoted to speak about his generation as being a corrupt generation of Jews who should repent of their error, but its not that they haven't been trying to do the right thing. They have, but they just don't get the message. There is a light coming, and its dividing people. I understand this. Its a little difficult (or impossible) to put myself into the shoes of that generation or any generation of Jews. According to John the Pharisee of his day rejects Jesus message: so he names them 'Vipers', which sounds harsh. I think its because Jesus wants them to embrace all of the Romans and just everyone, but they don't think its time, yet. They don't want to forgive that "Prodigal son" brother who took 2/3 of dad's money and blew it on carousing. They think its too early, that more needs to happen, first and that those stinking Romans need to do *something* before they can be welcomed home. Nobody likes the Roman conquerors, and Jesus is just asking for so much of the Jews to whom he preaches who have given so much and tried to hard. Thus his light causes many to stay away.

Now what does this mean for you and I, today? When the seed strikes various soils at random, how should we respond? What if we accidentally prevent a single child from going towards Jesus? Then its as if we'd be better off not having known anything about Jesus ourselves.

I mention in the comment above that they have several problems from love of worldy ways to hating their brethren, and then they leave. Teaching is not mentioned as one of their faults, however that is possible. Possibly its mentioned elsewhere in 1John and I don't remember. On the other hand I can understand leaving a church. Sometimes its just very difficult to stay, and you love the people but have to leave. This is not the situation that John is describing is it? He says they hate their brethren. This is what I think is meant by 'Antichrist', but I'm not going to leave that opinion with no support. I will attempt to consider that scholarly information (thanks) posted about the Docetae. They are a strange group.

(2) they were probably of the sect of the “Docetae;” or if that sect had not then formally sprung up, and was not organized, they held the opinions which they afterward embraced. This sect was a branch of the great Gnostic family; and the peculiarity of the opinion which they held was that Christ was only in appearance and seemingly, but not in reality, a man
The opinions of the “Docetes” are thus represented by Gibbon: “They denied the truth and authenticity of the Gospels, as far as they relate the conception of Mary, the birth of Christ, and the thirty years which preceded the first exercise of his ministry. He first appeared on the banks of the Jordan in the form of perfect manhood; but it was a form only, and not a substance; a human figure created by the hand of Omnipotence to imitate the faculties and actions of a man, and to impose a perpetual illusion on the senses of his friends and enemies.
The rage of the Jews was idly wasted against an impassive phantom, and the mystic scenes of the passion and death, the resurrection and ascension of Christ, were represented on the theater of Jerusalem for the benefit of mankind.” - Decl. and Fall, vol. iii. p. 245, Ed. New York, 1829. Compare vol. i. 440.
The Docetans sound like a nightmare in that description. Gibbons description of the Jews is poor though. He's a man of another time, so I will give him a pass on that. Gibbons in his introduction to the Decline and Fall... says he doesn't like it when historians pretend to be perfect and unbiased and prefers that we make up our own minds about historians including himself. I respect him for saying so. His biases are plain, and its refreshing that he admits them instead of trying to pretend he's a fair judge of all things. Let me consider the comment about these Docetans, and I appreciate your studiousness in bringing them up.

That these views began to prevail in the latter part of the first century there can be no reason to doubt; and there can be as little doubt that the author of this Epistle had this doctrine in his eye, and that he deemed it to be of special importance in this Epistle, as he had done in his Gospel, to show that the Son of God had actually “come in the flesh;” that he was truly and properly a man;
Is there truly no reason to doubt that these views began to prevail? What, really, do we have that establishes it? Let us assume so for conversation's sake and also that its completely untrue. Docetans are just pulling stuff from the backside and serving it up, and its corrupting everything and is the spirit of antichrist at work. This seems to me an assumption, however though it be supported by Gibbon's comment.

...continued next post

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
..continued from previous post. (The original exceeded 1200 characters)
Hence, the allusion to these views in such passages as the following: “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life - that which we have seen and heard declare we unto you,” 1 John 1:1, 1 John 1:3. “Many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know we the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ ‹is come in the flesh‘ is of God; and every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God; and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come,” 1 John 4:1-3. Compare 1 John 4:9, 1 John 4:14-15; 1 John 5:1, 1John 5:6,1 John 5:10-12. John had written his Gospel to show that Jesus was the Christ, John 20:31; he had furnished ample proof that he was divine, or was equal with the Father, John 1:1-14, and also that he was truly a man, John 15:25-27; but still it seemed proper to furnish a more unequivocal statement that he had actually appeared “in the flesh,” not in appearance only but in reality, and this purpose evidently was a leading design of this Epistle.
Maybe...but this doesn't help with Hebrews arguments about atonement. In Hebrews it says that Jesus is made perfect through his own death. What then was Jesus before he died, and was the logos what was healing people or the man? Its not such a terribly evil question. (I am not making an argument just establishing that there are several directions to take it.) Do we truly know what the Docetans thought? If Jesus is made perfect through death, then the arguments of the Docetans that we hear through Gibbon or Iraneaus actually could be slander and exaggeration of what they and their Gnostic cousins truly have said. It could all be down to bishopric slander. Maybe they said something slighly like what is in the accusation and were nowhere near the claim. Their books having been destroyed its not conclusive. That the bishops struggled for power is a fact. What puts exaggeration out of the question? I don't know. Maybe the bishops in their struggle slander one another. Bishops have proven to be quite nasty at times, so we can't always take what they say as pure particularly accusations. They tell us that Peter is the first in the line or long chain of apostolic succession, and so that means we should listen to them. That's convenient for them isn't it. I consider it neither here nor there, nor do I accept their accusations against any other group.

Let us say, however that the Docetans were in fact saying these things and were absolutely false and were the antichrist described by John. To me this does explain one thing but not everything. It doesn't explain why communion requires acceptance of people who differ on doctrine as stated in 1 Corinthians. It doesn't explain why James says in chapter 1 that each person receives wisdom from God or why every tongue is poisoned in chapter 3 or how the rich (wise) should rejoice in humility. It doesn't explain in John why John the Baptist is preaching the Voice in the Wilderness (which declares a flattening of the high places and a raising of the low places). There is a lot that this doesn't explain. I honestly think this comment about the Docetans and Gibbons comment about the Docetans sounds like 3rd rate slander. Slander seems prevalent in the early bishops. Look at the horrible trail of arguments and hate. I do value tradition, but I don't accept it as an actual fact. The tradition says "I'm tradition, and the reason you should accept me is that I'm perfect," but this is also what Jewish tradition says. Why are we using Jewish methods? I expect during struggles among bishops for scarecrows to be produced and enemies that don't exist. That's how things are done. People get nasty, and the more righteous they act the less they can be trusted not the more they can be trusted. In fact the more righteous they think they are the more likely it is that they are deluding themselves. Therefore I cannot consider these things about the Docetans as substantiated or even feel certain such people existed though Gibbons did. Maybe they did?

What I mean is, ministers can be defrocked for adultery. Happens quite regularly.
True that they can over sexual misconduct, and I hear you. I don't think we should encourage lascivious living.

You mentioned apostles. It sounds like romantic nonsense to believe in an unbroken chain of apostles. I don't understand the necessity of them in modern times or see them as a plus in modern times. What real benefit can the bring now that the twelve are gone? Why aren't there twelve, anymore? In the gospels when one died they were immediately replaced by lot. When did God ever help those led away by official apostles in high places? When does God ever go and correct someone who has been deceived? I have never heard of this happening. Instead apostles always bring confusion, opinions, speeches, more speeches, more speeches, politics etc. I've never heard of an apostle in the last thousand years saying something and it being final.

I think we experience luck, and sometimes we are unlucky in what we hear for years and years...and then maybe we find out we were confused about something in the scripture or about God. Perfect knowledge is fleeting. On the other hand James says that we should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault. He's probably talking about studying scripture, but even there people go for many years with extremely different views of scripture. Apostles don't seem able to repair this. I don't think its the work of antichrist. The antichrist doesn't seem to need it.

Why not think that antchrist is hate and not loving others, and we should commune with people regardless of whether they follow the correct apostles? This should theoretically work. We are drawn to repentance by forgiveness, so it should work.

I agree that there is a need for tolerance, but in the liberal age, it is taken far too far. The church has become a laughing stock, which is why, as I said earlier, its numbers are rapidly diminishing.

I agree with you that we shouldn't approve of everything and shouldn't just fellowship with people who have no intention of living right and efficient and extremely functional, generous, selfless lives; but I maintain that we are (almost) all such do nothings. I think doing nothing is worse than having an obvious sin. I think that its perhaps easier to criticize other people than to examine our own faults which are I think pretty terrible. I don't think churches in general are very functional. For one thing we generally mistake love for family with supernatural love. It is the most natural and powerful kind of love yet is not particularly supernatural. Its far easier for me to criticize than to spend time with someone who is obnoxious, so I tend to criticize. I think of reasons why I shouldn't spend time with them or think about something else. I think its not just me, either. I think we're experiencing antichrist all the time, always fighting with it. Its an illusive opponent, and it would be nice if we could point to it as an external thing. I don't think it is.

eik

I try to understand and also to listen. I never get into debates about the date that the gospel of John is written, because I don't know the necessary information. It is generally considered canon, and this term uses the term 'Logos'. The way I understand John it is describing the creation of Jesus ministry and says in the beginning 'Was' (emphasizing past tense) the 'Logos' which was in 'Theos' and was 'Theos'. Then out of that came the life which was the light of men: Jesus or his ministry first begun through the baptist named John, whose name means 'The dove'. My bible margin would agree that the Trinity is a later understood concept: no problem for me. If I take John as the basis of my understanding of Jesus and Christ, then its to me John's opinion that the pre-existent spirit of the Son comes and rests upon Jesus, and he is declared the adopted Son, much like a convert to Christ. No doubt this puts me into line with most unitarians, however I accept fellowship with trinitarians and consider myself one in a sense though not in the sense that many people do. Let God be true and every man a liar.
You are not an orthodox Christian, but neither are you a unitarian as unitarians don't believe there was a "pre-existent spirit of the Son."

Biblical orthodoxy is that the "Word was made flesh."

The Word is not "God the Son" in the bible. "God the Son" derives from Greek paganism, gnosticism and neo platonism.

Let me point out that 1 John 2:1 begins by declaring that if anyone does sin we have an advocate. The problem with these people was that they went out, but before they went out there were signs they did not belong.

Chapter 2 we might consider a description of why they didn't belong:
  • vs6 they didn't live as Jesus did.
  • vs9 they hated
  • vs15 they loved the world's ways
  • vs17 they harboured worldly desires
This 1 John equates with the light which causes division, yet that division is do to those who hate their brother and leave. Those who hated their brother stepped out of the light. Verse 11 says accusatively "...Anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them." Notice these people were not kicked out but left.
They separated. Note that this also follows the High Trinitarian pattern, which kept on separating itself from all other Christians between the 4th and 5th centuries. Many eastern sections of the church were gradually excommunicated on the flimsiest of pretences, linked to Trinitarian doctrines. In the end Rome excommunicated everyone else except the church of Constantinople, but even that was excommunicated eventually (1054) in the great schism.

The process of separation is inherently a Trinitarian endeavour. Trinitarians don't believe that the Word was "made flesh," rather than the Word was united with flesh at conception, much as you believe but at baptism.

Returning from 1John to the gospel of John first three chapters, same topic: That light of Jesus ministry then divides his generation of Jews into two groups: those step into the light are the good and those who do not are those whose deeds are evil. This division is mentioned by the apostle Peter in Acts. Peter is quoted to speak about his generation as being a corrupt generation of Jews who should repent of their error, but its not that they haven't been trying to do the right thing. They have, but they just don't get the message. There is a light coming, and its dividing people. I understand this. Its a little difficult (or impossible) to put myself into the shoes of that generation or any generation of Jews. According to John the Pharisee of his day rejects Jesus message: so he names them 'Vipers', which sounds harsh. I think its because Jesus wants them to embrace all of the Romans and just everyone, but they don't think its time, yet. They don't want to forgive that "Prodigal son" brother who took 2/3 of dad's money and blew it on carousing. They think its too early, that more needs to happen, first and that those stinking Romans need to do *something* before they can be welcomed home. Nobody likes the Roman conquerors, and Jesus is just asking for so much of the Jews to whom he preaches who have given so much and tried to hard. Thus his light causes many to stay away.
I am not really qualified to comment on the Judaizers. There were many different groups of Jews, Jewish politics was complex. Certainly there were Jews who rejected salvation without full obeidence to the law (cf. Galatians).

Now what does this mean for you and I, today? When the seed strikes various soils at random, how should we respond? What if we accidentally prevent a single child from going towards Jesus? Then its as if we'd be better off not having known anything about Jesus ourselves.

I mention in the comment above that they have several problems from love of worldy ways to hating their brethren, and then they leave. Teaching is not mentioned as one of their faults, however that is possible. Possibly its mentioned elsewhere in 1John and I don't remember. On the other hand I can understand leaving a church. Sometimes its just very difficult to stay, and you love the people but have to leave. This is not the situation that John is describing is it? He says they hate their brethren. This is what I think is meant by 'Antichrist', but I'm not going to leave that opinion with no support. I will attempt to consider that scholarly information (thanks) posted about the Docetae. They are a strange group.
I would concur that hatred for brethren is a sign of being an antichrist.

The Docetans sound like a nightmare in that description. Gibbons description of the Jews is poor though. He's a man of another time, so I will give him a pass on that. Gibbons in his introduction to the Decline and Fall... says he doesn't like it when historians pretend to be perfect and unbiased and prefers that we make up our own minds about historians including himself. I respect him for saying so. His biases are plain, and its refreshing that he admits them instead of trying to pretend he's a fair judge of all things. Let me consider the comment about these Docetans, and I appreciate your studiousness in bringing them up.

Is there truly no reason to doubt that these views began to prevail? What, really, do we have that establishes it? Let us assume so for conversation's sake and also that its completely untrue. Docetans are just pulling stuff from the backside and serving it up, and its corrupting everything and is the spirit of antichrist at work. This seems to me an assumption, however though it be supported by Gibbon's comment.

...continued next post

eik

..continued from previous post. (The original exceeded 1200 characters)
Maybe...but this doesn't help with Hebrews arguments about atonement. In Hebrews it says that Jesus is made perfect through his own death. What then was Jesus before he died, and was the logos what was healing people or the man? Its not such a terribly evil question. (I am not making an argument just establishing that there are several directions to take it.) Do we truly know what the Docetans thought? If Jesus is made perfect through death, then the arguments of the Docetans that we hear through Gibbon or Iraneaus actually could be slander and exaggeration of what they and their Gnostic cousins truly have said. It could all be down to bishopric slander. Maybe they said something slighly like what is in the accusation and were nowhere near the claim. Their books having been destroyed its not conclusive. That the bishops struggled for power is a fact. What puts exaggeration out of the question? I don't know. Maybe the bishops in their struggle slander one another. Bishops have proven to be quite nasty at times, so we can't always take what they say as pure particularly accusations. They tell us that Peter is the first in the line or long chain of apostolic succession, and so that means we should listen to them. That's convenient for them isn't it. I consider it neither here nor there, nor do I accept their accusations against any other group.
I agree it's difficult and I am no expert.

Yet I think a good theory with the Docetans is that they (perhaps like you) simply could not accept that the word was made flesh, because it didn't align with paganism. We know from Justin Martyr et al, that the Christians of those days were extremely concerned to reconcile Christianity with paganism. Paganism is based on the idea of Gods begetting Gods in heaven. Thus God the Son was begotten by God the Father. It didn't really allow for a son of God in the flesh. It was the desire to reconcile with paganism that lay at the root of the issue, I believe, but I don't know for certain.

It may as you say have been a Jewish issue like in Galatians. But the issue seems to be initimately related to "accepting that Christ came in the flesh." It is absolutely fundamental to Christianity that salvation and justification is through belief in the humanity of Christ, and not merely in the existence of some transcendant spirit of God.

Let us say, however that the Docetans were in fact saying these things and were absolutely false and were the antichrist described by John. To me this does explain one thing but not everything. It doesn't explain why communion requires acceptance of people who differ on doctrine as stated in 1 Corinthians. It doesn't explain why James says in chapter 1 that each person receives wisdom from God or why every tongue is poisoned in chapter 3 or how the rich (wise) should rejoice in humility. It doesn't explain in John why John the Baptist is preaching the Voice in the Wilderness (which declares a flattening of the high places and a raising of the low places). There is a lot that this doesn't explain. I honestly think this comment about the Docetans and Gibbons comment about the Docetans sounds like 3rd rate slander. Slander seems prevalent in the early bishops. Look at the horrible trail of arguments and hate. I do value tradition, but I don't accept it as an actual fact. The tradition says "I'm tradition, and the reason you should accept me is that I'm perfect," but this is also what Jewish tradition says. Why are we using Jewish methods? I expect during struggles among bishops for scarecrows to be produced and enemies that don't exist. That's how things are done. People get nasty, and the more righteous they act the less they can be trusted not the more they can be trusted. In fact the more righteous they think they are the more likely it is that they are deluding themselves. Therefore I cannot consider these things about the Docetans as substantiated or even feel certain such people existed though Gibbons did. Maybe they did?
I'm not really following you. To me the lesson in 1 John is generic: We should endeavour to retain the same doctrines, otherwise divisions & dissension will inevitably occur. Divisions over the incarnation and the introduction of merely human philosophies into religion, such as in High Trinitarianism, will destroy the bond of unity.

True that they can over sexual misconduct, and I hear you. I don't think we should encourage lascivious living.

You mentioned apostles. It sounds like romantic nonsense to believe in an unbroken chain of apostles. I don't understand the necessity of them in modern times or see them as a plus in modern times. What real benefit can the bring now that the twelve are gone? Why aren't there twelve, anymore? In the gospels when one died they were immediately replaced by lot. When did God ever help those led away by official apostles in high places? When does God ever go and correct someone who has been deceived? I have never heard of this happening. Instead apostles always bring confusion, opinions, speeches, more speeches, more speeches, politics etc. I've never heard of an apostle in the last thousand years saying something and it being final.
I concur.

I think we experience luck, and sometimes we are unlucky in what we hear for years and years...and then maybe we find out we were confused about something in the scripture or about God. Perfect knowledge is fleeting. On the other hand James says that we should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault. He's probably talking about studying scripture, but even there people go for many years with extremely different views of scripture. Apostles don't seem able to repair this. I don't think its the work of antichrist. The antichrist doesn't seem to need it.
Differences in scripture are probably easier to tolerate than the introduction of pagan philosophies and novel teachings "designed to draw away men." Acts 20:30

Why not think that antchrist is hate and not loving others, and we should commune with people regardless of whether they follow the correct apostles? This should theoretically work. We are drawn to repentance by forgiveness, so it should work.
I agree. But there are minimum standards, because the aim of the faith is personal salvation which is attained by holiness, as I am sure you will agree.

I agree with you that we shouldn't approve of everything and shouldn't just fellowship with people who have no intention of living right and efficient and extremely functional, generous, selfless lives; but I maintain that we are (almost) all such do nothings. I think doing nothing is worse than having an obvious sin. I think that its perhaps easier to criticize other people than to examine our own faults which are I think pretty terrible. I don't think churches in general are very functional. For one thing we generally mistake love for family with supernatural love. It is the most natural and powerful kind of love yet is not particularly supernatural. Its far easier for me to criticize than to spend time with someone who is obnoxious, so I tend to criticize. I think of reasons why I shouldn't spend time with them or think about something else. I think its not just me, either. I think we're experiencing antichrist all the time, always fighting with it. Its an illusive opponent, and it would be nice if we could point to it as an external thing. I don't think it is.
There is a difference of kind between sin, lack of faith and antichrist. To impute the spirit of antichrist to a Christian would require as a minimum the imputation of clearly heretical doctrines, or an indifference to morality. There has to be scope for criticism within churches, because otherwise they become corrupted by false doctrines. It's not everyone's profession of faith which can be accepted. I agree that over-criticism or separation on account of small things is out of order. There needs to be forebearance. I will concede to perhaps being guilty of that in the past. But some sins, as Paul says in 1 Timothy 4:1-5, 1 Cor 5:11 are just too great to tolerate in any church.