• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion: sojourner and Scott - communion

Dunemeister

You bet I'd allow a Muslim to come to the Table! It's not my Table and, therefore, not my place to bar anyone from it. If someone wants to embrace Christ in this way, who am I to stop him or her?
The mystery (and the reality) of the sacrament lie in its universality -- its catholicity -- which lies beyond church walls. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the act of making one's communion is but a reflection of the real Eucharist, which takes place as we go out into the world "to love and serve the Lord, with gladness and singleness of heart."

I know that this is a private debate, and I've watched it with interest thus far. But I can't help but interject at this point.

Y'had me 'til here, dude. Communion is for baptized Christians, but it's not for those who are outside the faith. Communion is a sign of CHRISTIAN unity. A Muslim does not "love and serve the Lord." If he did, he'd be Christian. Instead, he serves Allah (not the same as the Lord Jesus by any stretch). So even if we say the real Eucharist is loving and serving the Lord (an extension I don't accept except by way of analogical extension, and even then, it's not the "real" Eucharist), non-Christians are not included. It seems that what's driving your argument isn't a concern for Christian unity but belief in universal salvation.