• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disasters Revisited

Hello all. I have long been a frequented to the forums and have decided to add my few cents worth.

Every time there is a disaster there is much talk about what role God has within it. Some state God doesn't have any because He doesn't exist. Others state His Will is beyond our understanding. Some even call God evil because He allows such to happen. Few ideas seem to focus on the idea of free will. Granted, free will even is up for debate but lets just assume it exists for this idea.

God provides humanity with knowledge and the ability to observe. Through both we can see what regions of this world are more prone to disasters and other natural hazards. Despite knowing that New Orleans sits below sea level on a coastline that fairly frequently experiences hurricanes and flooding, we still built and inhabited the city. Communities sitting on the San Andres fault line in California fall into the same category. In such areas is not a question of if a disaster will occur but when. Science and technology too can only keep things at bay for so long. Because God does not violate our free will He allows such disasters to happen. He provided all of the tools to avoid them for the most part. Although it is impossible to avoid all disasters we can at least not encourage large scale ones. If God was to prevent such disasters from occurring He wouldn't be allowing us to face the consequences of our actions. This would then extend to all people and all decisions because nearly all decisions have some sort of pain associated with them as a consequence. Sometimes the pain takes longer to be apparent than other times.

My thoughts are with all of the victims of Katrina.

Reactions: Pah

Pah

Uber all member
I'd agree that man plays a great role in diasters. But the question is where do the forces of nature come from. If you believe in an earth created by God, then man did not, by free will, establish the hurricane or flood, or earthquake. Man may exacberate the destruction and even,in the case of hurricane, make the forces stronger, but they all came from natural processes. Are those natural processes a thing of God?

Good point, Pah. God did set the course of nature into motion. Again, disaster is unavoidable because of this. God apparently is not a respecter of persons because He allows the natural processes to run their course indiscrimently. In a sense, God could be to blame for setting the processes in motion in the first place. However, without these processes life most likely wouldn't exist.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hello and welcome, Searcher! I'm very glad you were able to come forward and post, since it sounds like you have some insightful ideas!

westifer

I believe in free will, but God knows what we will choose. And even if we did help cause or even make the hurricane bigger or stronger, God could have stopped it if it was his will.