• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Din-i Ilahi

Birbal

www.akbarist.blogspot.com
The religion that Akbar the Great founded, called the Divine Religion. It says that there is one God, and that Akbar is his prophet. It is against imposition of religion, and violence toward people and animals, it also rejects ritualism; the din-i-ilahi espouses rational argument over superstitions, and also upholds tolerance, politeness, vegetarianism, ascetism in sexuality, food, drink and dress, and a zealous devotion to God.

What do you think of it?

Birbal

You can see about it on a blog *Link Deleted*

Last edited by a moderator:

Birbal

Being that I cannot yet post links, I would like to explain a little the Divine Religion, being that it is an obscure creed.

The first that can be said about it is that is a religion of thought, and not of blind faith. It offers itself to be accepted by people not on account of authority, but on account of it being true and good.

Din-i Ilahi establishes itself on such arguments, there is no sacred scripture, there are no divine decrees, for the promulgation of this religion, Emperor Akbar established the Ibadat Khana (House of Piety), where he called all people to discuss, it was a meeting place for Muslims, Hindus, Christians, Jews, Zoroastrians, Atheists, Jains, Buddhists, and all sorts of philosophers.

The basic tenets of the religion is benevolence, it's basic mandate is that people are to accept it by choise, not imposition, and it's core precept concerning relation to others is not to harm animated beings (human and non-human) who are harmless: "Akbar called the harmless animals the beasts of peace, and showed abhorrence to their slaughter. It is tyranny to kill harmless animals, and a tyrant is an enemy of God, the Almighty."

What is the essence of being a divine religionist? "Salvation is to be obtained only by the knowledge of truth conformably with the precepts of the perfect prophet, the perfect lord of fame, Akbar, the Wise; the practices enjoined by him are: renouncing and abandoning the world; refraining from lust, sensuality, entertainment, slaughter of what possesses life; and from appro*priating to one's self the riches of other men; abstaining from women, deceit, false accusation, oppression, intimidation, foolishness, and giving to others opprobrious titles."

To live a pious life, virtues are promoted: " The endeavors for the recompense of the other world, and the forms of the true religion may be comprised in ten virtues, namely: 1. liberality and beneficence; 2. forbearance from bad actions and repulsion of anger with mildness; 3. abstinence from worldly desires; 4. care of freedom from the bonds of the worldly existence and violence, as well as accumulating precious stores for the future real and perpetual world; 5. piety, wisdom, and devotion, with frequent meditations on the consequences of actions; 6. strength of dexterous prudence in the desire of sublime actions; 7. soft voice, gentle words, and pleasing speeches for everybody; 8. good society with brothers, so that their will may have the precedence to our own; 9. a perfect alienation from the creatures, and a perfect attachment to the supreme Being; 10. purification of the soul by the yearning after God the all-just, and the union with the merciful Lord, in such a manner that, as long as the soul dwells in the body, it may think itself one with him and long to join him, until the hour of separation from the body arrives."

I think these quotes shed light of what is the Din-i Ilahi, and of course, I would like to hear people's opinions about it.

Perhaps it is the use of some words that to me indicate a doctrinal faith, but to be honest, it sounds like a birthing of a doctrinal faith, that has not yet completely formed its doctrine.

But, I just did a quick search and see that Akbar started out as a Muslim, so the usage of some doctrinal sounding terms is probably a carry over from that aspect of his life.

Definitely a syncretic faith based on what I read...

Birbal

The lack of information is due to it being a "dead religion" there is no religious body propagating it.

Yes, it can be called a syncretic religion, saying that it a mix of Islam (Sufism) and Jainism pretty much describes it correctly.

The devotion to God is clear sign of Islam, and the call to that devotion includes as much as possible to renounce the wordly, physical pleasures and to dedicate oneself to the spiritual, this is found in Sufism, and this kind of ascetism is a prominent part of Jainism.

Also similar to Jainism is the insistance on non-violence to, as I mentioned the benevolence, another quote says: "the godly man is at all times in the service and obedience of the all-just, and at no moment is he negligent in pious practices. Moreover, he thinks himself bound to abstain from hurting living beings, and he respects all the creatures of God."