• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital Services

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Since the onset of the Coronavirus Pandemic, and the subsequent lockdowns various countries used as a measure to mitigate the pandemic arose; various churches and faith groups around the world attempted to adjust their services to an online medium.

This includes hosting Mass and Communion via Zoom, or performing baptisms for a back home, digital, audience; including many other methods of digital worship.

What do you think.of this religious shift to the digital? Do you think this is a medium that should continue to be used to reach new or far-flung congregants? Or can ritual and symbolic moments only occur in person, under the direct supervision of clergy.

Have you attended may religious services online? Of what faith group were the services?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
For the first year or so, the temple would stream their pujas. As things started opening up, they stopped doing it.

I watched once or twice, but found it saddened me more than anything, so didn't continue.

I see a value in it, though. It works for some, not for others. But I certainly feel it was good that it was available.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I just feel like things are winding down around here, no one's any more taking the pandemic seriously. I could take it super seriously still, but people I know will just go to large gatherings, then come home, increasing the risk of me getting the virus (most likely). I think a lot of local churches are also getting back to services.

To be honest, the numbers will have to get mega high before this boulder rolls backwards again.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
For the first year or so, the temple would stream their pujas. As things started opening up, they stopped doing it.

I watched once or twice, but found it saddened me more than anything, so didn't continue.

I see a value in it, though. It works for some, not for others. But I certainly feel it was good that it was available.

So my answer is that aside from it happening months ago, I haven't really seen it currently to think about it much.

Do either of you think digital sermons should continue? Can they become a positive long term practice of your faith? How so?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Do either of you think digital sermons should continue? Can they become a positive long term practice of your faith? How so?

It'd require a very nuanced answer, I think. Digital could even be a way of reaching more people. And it doesn't really affect me much, but if I get more deeply into my religion in my current faith, I may want more human-to-human interaction than Digital eventually, I'm thinking.

At the same time, I have a small amount of skepticism about it. Everything else has become digitalized, but we've seen the positives and negatives of that.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I would have liked them to continue. I think they could hold a positive place in a person's practice. I didn't participate much, but I think it was a good resource for someone who is unable to get out for health reasons, and as gas prices climb, those who are not nearby a place of worship could benefit as well.

Last time we visited our temple in person, the gas cost us $50! That's not something we can do often.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Since the onset of the Coronavirus Pandemic, and the subsequent lockdowns various countries used as a measure to mitigate the pandemic arose; various churches and faith groups around the world attempted to adjust their services to an online medium.

This includes hosting Mass and Communion via Zoom, or performing baptisms for a back home, digital, audience; including many other methods of digital worship.

What do you think.of this religious shift to the digital? Do you think this is a medium that should continue to be used to reach new or far-flung congregants? Or can ritual and symbolic moments only occur in person, under the direct supervision of clergy.

Have you attended may religious services online? Of what faith group were the services?
I did not attend

I do not like it

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
As everything, both religions and now also the digital medias, can be used for good or bad, and it does so too.
And for the time being digital public media are hugely misused to censor everything which dont fit the one sided USA narrative on everything. And the very same was/is the covid case where the undemocratic institute, WHO, took the steering of the entire world.
In nature, the appearance of vira comes naturally every year as the normal function of evolution where vira mutates constantly and there is NOTHING WHO can do with that, not even by vaccines which in the worst of cases can speed up the mutations and with unnatural mutation which can cause more harm than good.
IMO the worst is the artificial use of mRNA strings which obviously and logically causes all kinds of both short- and longtime nerve system problems in humans.