• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital Buddhism - is it authentic?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings fellow Buddha enthusiasts!

I hoe you are enjoying your experience on the forum today.

Here's an article you may enjoy reading.

Is digital Buddhism, which includes computer-assisted practices such as listening to podcasts and using meditation applications apps, authentic?

Some scholars have argued that digital Buddhism epitomizes Western appropriation and dilution of traditional Asian practices. Others such as the Slovenian cultural critic Slavoj Žižek perceive it as embodying the spirit of late capitalism. Žižek argues that like Karl Marx’s notion of religion as the opiate of the people, meditation apps are a way for people to feel good, but does nothing to change the economic relationships that are causing suffering.

My curiosity about the authenticity of digital Buddhism was whetted on a recent turbulent flight. Most of the passengers seemed nervous. The person in front of me, however, was calm, even blissful. Looking over their shoulder, I could see they were wearing earbuds connected to an iPhone whose screen displayed a Buddhist-inspired meditation app. Could this be considered an authentic practice?

For the remainder of the article - click below -

How to know if your practice of Buddhism through listening to podcasts or use of meditation apps is 'authentic'

Enjoy the rest of your browsing!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
In the time of the Buddha his words were not written down (not until hundreds of years after his death) so one should ask the same question of the Tipitaka then - is it authentic?

The medium and the message are not the same.

PS You've created your message online in "our electronic Sangha." ;)

Last edited:

ajay0

My curiosity about the authenticity of digital Buddhism was whetted on a recent turbulent flight. Most of the passengers seemed nervous. The person in front of me, however, was calm, even blissful. Looking over their shoulder, I could see they were wearing earbuds connected to an iPhone whose screen displayed a Buddhist-inspired meditation app. Could this be considered an authentic practice?

This is enough proof to me that digital buddhism is authentic. The purpose of Buddhism is to create a calm, equanimous mind and if iPhone and earbuds can help achieve that, it deserves to be called a useful tool in Buddhism.

'O bhikshus and wise men, just as a goldsmith would test his gold by burning, cutting, and rubbing it, so you must examine my words and accept them, but not merely out of reverence for me.' ~ Buddha , ghanavyuha sutra (Sutra of Dense Array)

Buddha emphasized personal observation and experience to examine the utility of a teaching, using the example of the goldsmith and would have applied the same with respect to such tools as well. If it is useful and non-harmful , use it ; if not , discard it.

A knife can be used for surgery by a doctor or for a criminal to commit murder. So the state of mind is also an important factor to consider in the usage of tools. A certain training and discipline of the mind is needed to ensure such tools are used for the right purpose. Iphone and earbuds and other technologies can also be a timewaster if applied for useless time-consuming activities that prevent the mind from meditation or contemplation.

“Science and technology are powerful tools, but we must decide how best to use them.” ~ Dalai Lama XIV

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Greetings fellow Buddha enthusiasts!

I hoe you are enjoying your experience on the forum today.

Here's an article you may enjoy reading.

Is digital Buddhism, which includes computer-assisted practices such as listening to podcasts and using meditation applications apps, authentic?

Some scholars have argued that digital Buddhism epitomizes Western appropriation and dilution of traditional Asian practices. Others such as the Slovenian cultural critic Slavoj Žižek perceive it as embodying the spirit of late capitalism. Žižek argues that like Karl Marx’s notion of religion as the opiate of the people, meditation apps are a way for people to feel good, but does nothing to change the economic relationships that are causing suffering.

For the remainder of the article - click below -

How to know if your practice of Buddhism through listening to podcasts or use of meditation apps is 'authentic'

Enjoy the rest of your browsing!
Podcasts are ok.

Meditation apps like timers and bells can be useful, yet things like 'subconcious meditation, is pure garbage and worthless new age fluff.