• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did you have an alcoholic parent(s)?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I was kind of raised by a mother who abused her own prescription medications and drank a little bit excessively but I don't think it would fall into the category of addiction.

She was the one who got me started on my drug addiction by prescribing me Ambien at the age of 12. I started going through her medicine cabinets.

If you were raised by an alcoholic or drug-addicted Father/mother, what was it like?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I was raised by two alcoholic parents.

My mother wasn't so much an issue. She would drink two to four beers each night when I was a kid, most likely to self-medicate. I don't recall ever seeing her drunk.

My step-father, on the other hand, was a problem. He would stop at a bar nearly every night and miss dinner with the family. I remember a plate wrapped in foil being in the oven nearly every night.

He was a mean drunk. I found out that he wasn't my real father during one of his drunken outbursts. He missed nearly every single birthday both mine and my brothers, and was occasionally physically abusive.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
That's an interesting way to look at it...does alcoholism run in your family?

My maternal grandfather was also an alcoholic. Whenever I spent the night at my grandparents' house, I would awaken at 5:30am to a beer can cracking.

Beyond that, I'm not aware of any others. I met me paternal grandparents a few times, but they didn't seem to be drinkers.

Flame

Beware
Dad was a functional alcoholic throughout my child and teen years. It was rare to see him without a Coors tall boy or a rum and coke.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I was kind of raised by a mother who abused her own prescription medications and drank a little bit excessively but I don't think it would fall into the category of addiction.

She was the one who got me started on my drug addiction by prescribing me Ambien at the age of 12. I started going through her medicine cabinets.

If you were raised by an alcoholic or drug-addicted Father/mother, what was it like?

My parents divorced when I was 10 years old, my brothers and I as children were often left home alone as my mother spent time drinking in bars. My mother no longer abuses alcohol, but that's because mixing lots of alcohol with her medications would probably kill her.

Fortunately, I've never been addicted to alcohol; I've had other substance abuse issues. However, I can't discuss any of my substance abuse issues on this forum, because there is a rule here that illegal activities are not to be discussed.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn’t label my family as alcoholics. Though they perhaps enjoy alcohol a little too much. As do I. Dad was a very heavy social drinker. As is his side of the family. Fortunately I don’t think they qualify as alcoholics.
Although I do have an uncle who makes his own liquor. Make of that what you will

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

My parents were German. Self explanatory.