• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did the church ever really create depictions of john's vision of christ, specifically from revelation 1:13-16?

amorphous_constellation

Very specifically, from revelation 1:13-16, there are some very idiosyncratic image descriptions of jesus, and it occurred to me that I had never actually seen created depictions of the specific imagery here described of him, as coming from any christian tradition:

13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. 14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; 15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. 16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength. - from the KJV

And the NIV describes seven golden lampstands instead of candlesticks, which is also creative

So when I was growing up, I of course became familiar, when my mom took me to church, of the 'normative' images of jesus, which either involved him on the cross, or in the manger, or if the church had actors, of him preaching as a regular human looking traveler. In a lot of places, there was a giant carving of him on the cross, or the cross alone thereof, or the usual paintings / stained glass depictions of him in the human preaching phase. Etc., you know what I mean

So then, I am imagining momentarily what it would be like if none of that was emphasized in the general imagery, and instead, the far more regal description just mentioned from revelation was instead generally depicted, in general christian art and personal adornment. For example, instead of the large carving of jesus on the cross depicted behind the typical church preacher, it was the white-haired but strong looking kingly jesus, who wears clothes of gold etc. And instead of people wearing crosses on their necklaces or amulets, they wore something like the 7 stars or lampstands, or a figure of the regal and finalized king version of jesus?