• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Someone ‘in RF’ Convince You About Something You Didn’t Believe?

KerimF

I wonder if, here in RF, someone was convinced about something, as being real and/or true, which he used believing unreal or untrue.

Or perhaps someone, here in RF, used believing that something is real and/or true and someone else, also in RF, convinced him that he was wrong.

Please note the crucial words ‘here in RF’.

Outside RF, e.i. in the real world, billions around the world ‘could’ be convinced anytime about anything as being real/true or unreal/untrue... but this is another topic (usually related to politics more than religions).

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've been on RF too much to remember them all. But recently someone convinced me that I was wrong about thinking that the Senate can start a spending bill - seems they can just kickstart a new one through amendments to a House bill, then the House has to vote on it again.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I wonder if, here in RF, someone was convinced about something, as being real and/or true, which he used believing unreal or untrue.

Or perhaps someone, here in RF, used believing that something is real and/or true and someone else, also in RF, convinced him that he was wrong.

Outside RF, e.i. in the real world, billions around the world ‘could’ be convinced anytime about anything as being real/true or unreal/untrue... but this is another topic (usually related to politics more than religions).

Convinced feels a bit overly intense.

Some of my less than well founded views have changed over time partly due to views, ideas, opinions presented on RF.
I think it is less about having been convinced by someone and more about an atmosphere of general understanding.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think there is one thing that comes to mind.

Nothing specific, but trigger moments that caused me to rethink there is more to the universe past matter. Not a God or supernatural as I don't see any such thing existing at all, but something else unseen that's still a mystery that causes life to be possible, and transcends throughout the continuum.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
A lot of people on here have convinced me that they don't really know that much about science.

I think my understanding is about a 3-4 on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being greatest. I accept evolution and know what a 'scientific theory' is and how it's a bit different than what the common man knows as a 'fact' or a 'theory' when using the English language. I accept there's global warming and even if the point that Creationists bring up about how the Earth is going through a cycle is true, unlike them I'd call it a 'cycle AND global warming'. But that's getting a bit out of my pay scale.

Twilight Hue

A lot of people on here have convinced me that they don't really know that much about science.
Nothing a bit of study and actual participation couldn't solve. Science is an amazing tool that anyone can employ and enjoy.

Nobody is dumb or stupid in my view. Just "cabbages to cauliflower" quoting Twain here.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing a bit of study and actual participation couldn't solve. Science is an amazing tool that anyone can employ and enjoy.

Nobody is dumb or stupid in my view. Just "cabbages to cauliflower" quoting Twain here.
I do agree that study and participation in discussions should help, but some people do not seem to keen on that while acting as if they know things already. It is not just study that helps, but picking the best quality material available to study.

I find many times that the particular issue with science that a person has is a straw man that they found on the internet and never bothered to research or vet.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I think my understanding is about a 3-4 on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being greatest. I accept evolution and know what a 'scientific theory' is and how it's a bit different than what the common man knows as a 'fact' or a 'theory' when using the English language. I accept there's global warming and even if the point that Creationists bring up about how the Earth is going through a cycle is true, unlike them I'd call it a 'cycle AND global warming'. But that's getting a bit out of my pay scale.
I think that there are many that are less realistic about their understanding and rank their own personal understanding artificially high.

Twilight Hue

I do agree that study and participation in discussions should help, but some people do not seem to keen on that while acting as if they know things already. It is not just study that helps, but picking the best quality material available to study.

I find many times that the particular issue with science that a person has is a straw man that they found on the internet and never bothered to research or vet.
I've made that mistake many times.

There's no questioning the value of research and study before you commit. Valuable advice for good discussions and debates.

For me, I try to do that, but granted more than once there are other times where I really like to just take the plunge, and find my way through that way.

Maybe I'm an Internet adrenaline junkie =0]

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I've made that mistake many times.

There's no questioning the value of research and study before you commit. Valuable advice for good discussions and debates.

For me, I try to do that, but granted more than once there are other times where I really like to just take the plunge, and find my way through that way.

Maybe I'm an Internet adrenaline junkie =0]
I can see value in just wading in. Sometimes the discussion inspires (forces) you to make an effort to learn more about a subject or challenge what you already know or conclude.

KerimF

I've been on RF too much to remember them all. But recently someone convinced me that I was wrong about thinking that the Senate can start a spending bill - seems they can just kickstart a new one through amendments to a House bill, then the House has to vote on it again.

I think he/she just opened your eyes about certain man-made law/rules/processes you were missing.

I guess it is not like proving something real or unreal while the other side used believing it as being the opposite.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, my worldview has drastically changed compared to what it was when I first joined. I used to be a conservative Muslim with views that were anti-LGBT, anti-gender equality, and anti-pluralist. I'm now a secular humanist who strongly embraces LGBT rights, feminism, and religious pluralism. Most of the change started here on RF thanks to meeting diverse groups of people who befriended and discussed different issues with me.

(Who knew cat food like @Meow Mix could be so influential?)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Outside RF,. in the real world, billions around the world ‘could’ be convinced anytime about anything as being real/true or unreal/untrue... but this is another topic (usually related to politics more than religions).

I learned more about people that I wouldn't have known the same in person. Online gives a glimmer of people's personalities all around the world and people are a bit more willing to share themselves with strangers they can't see.

I makes me curious of what people think and who they are in person.

With religion not too much. I'm somewhat of a human observer and religion and politics tends to bring out interesting expressions out of people, for lack of better words.

Last edited:

KerimF

Convinced feels a bit overly intense.

Some of my less than well founded views have changed over time partly due to views, ideas, opinions presented on RF.
I think it is less about having been convinced by someone and more about an atmosphere of general understanding.

In other words, I think you had the opportunity to realize better what you may have perceived already but you were not very sure about it.

KerimF

So you use expecting that most people know what you know :) , starting from the scientific fields in which you are interested.

You can be sure that I don't know what you know of AIDS because my knowledge of it is based on my personal observations and logical analyses... not on so-called international trusted sources ;)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Yes, my worldview has drastically changed compared to what it was when I first joined. I used to be a conservative Muslim with views that were anti-LGBT, anti-gender equality, and anti-pluralist. I'm now a secular humanist who strongly embraces LGBT rights, feminism, and religious pluralism. Most of the change started here on RF thanks to meeting diverse groups of people who befriended and discussed different issues with me.

(Who knew cat food like @Meow Mix could be so influential?)

@KerimF and this is likewise for me (DS's quote). I've learned a lot from fellow posters. For every 99 dismissals of an idea out of disagreeing we (general we) do every day, there's the occasional "that's a good point" or refinement of an idea. And that's amazing.