• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Quran's Jesus bring modification to the law of Moses?

danieldemol

Premium Member
In the holy Quran it is stated concerning Jesus;

"(I have come to you), to attest the Law which was before me, and to make lawful to you part of what was (before) forbidden to you..."
(The Qur'an (Yusuf Ali tr), Surah 3:50)

Would not making lawful a part of what was forbidden under the law of Moses constitute a modification to the Law?

Sakeenah

In the holy Quran it is stated concerning Jesus;

"(I have come to you), to attest the Law which was before me, and to make lawful to you part of what was (before) forbidden to you..."
(The Qur'an (Yusuf Ali tr), Surah 3:50)

Would not making lawful a part of what was forbidden under the law of Moses constitute a modification to the Law?

Hi Daniel,
According to Islam the foundations of the prophets is one, affirmation of the Oneness of God (Tawheed), and worshipping God with no partner or associate.
But the details of laws and rulings is what is different. The law of Moses was suitable for his nation and his time.Then came the law of Jesus, and this was suitable for his nation, these laws were more lenient than the law of Moses. God permitted to the followers of Jesus, some things that had been forbidden in the law of Moses. So this modification was with the permission of God, commanded by God to make the laws suitable.

Concerning this God, tells us that Jesus (peace be upon him) said (interpretation of the meaning): “and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden to you” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:50].