• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus have a name?

The Great Architect

Did Jesus have a name, like other people? Like Mitchell or Stephen, or was Jesus Christ his normal, given name?

Also, why do we call him Jesus Christ?:shrug:

Popeyesays

Jesus is the Latin form of the common Hebrew name "Yehoshua".

"Christ" is not Hebrew, nor is it a name. It is a Greek word meening "Annointed".

People did not have family names in those days. They were known by given names or nick-names often with the place of origin or the name of the father attached to differentiate one Yehosuhua from another.

Regards,
Scott

ayani

right... likely he would have been called Yeshua (or Yehoshua) ben Yosef, Jesus son of Joseph.

also, Christ is the Greek form of the Hebrew Massiach, Messiah, or Annointed (CHosen) One.

The Great Architect

Thanks everybody, that's great!I felt like a fool asking that question and I thought nobody would bother to answer me. It's just something I've never bothered to ask before.;)

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Repeat, Repeat, Repent =
In Acts we are told Bar-jesus means fake prophet......
jesus comes from iesous, which some one has translated as "man beast"…..

Yeshua means Salvation…..it also helps in understanding the Bible as many times on the word Salvation it can then be interchanged with Yeshua’s real name…..

In Zechariah Joshua then can become Yeshua as it sounds and is the same word, just spelled in a different languages.

Eshu also then, which has significant ancient Hebrew meaning of letters used….as in the “hook is removed”…..

Considering I know me as the fig and know Yeshua as brother, and for me personally feel jilted each time someone has called Yeshua that since birth, without knowing why….now when I explain would hope people would care enough to make the change, yet they don’t…….as they don’t follow Christ….yet what man says (fore-fathers).

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yehoshua or Y'shua or Yeshua can be translated into Joshua. Maybe nowadays He might have been called Josh. Some of his brothers would have been Joe, Jim, etc. ;) (even we Christians have a sense of humor, but I doubt anyone really laughs at this, I was never good at making up jokes):foot::angel2: