• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Israel purposely let the kidnapping happen?

greatcalgarian

Booko said:
Funny, it doesn't look like such an either/or thing to me.

If you follow the news today, you would have learned that Israel has murdered two UN peace keeping officer. That could also be the fault of Hezbellah since they starte the present conflict, and Israel has every right to use whatever mean to stamp out this Hesbellah including killing and murdering of UN personel. This reminds me of US bombing the Chinese embassy a few years back, just simply have to said : Hey an honest mistakes we did not mean to do that.:p

greatcalgarian

Booko said:
Then one wonders what the Dutch, Danes and Poles were doing there. Might it have been the weather?

(I'll give you a point and not mention absurdities like Palau :D)

These have been coersed into sending in army later after the preliminary slaughtering of carpet bombing has been completed. These are supposedly the US own 'United Nations" peace keeping force, since the UN refused to recognize the act of US and UK being legal. You really have to revised the historical event :D

Booko

Deviled Hen
greatcalgarian said:
If you follow the news today, you would have learned that Israel has murdered two UN peace keeping officer. That could also be the fault of Hezbellah since they starte the present conflict, and Israel has every right to use whatever mean to stamp out this Hesbellah including killing and murdering of UN personel. This reminds me of US bombing the Chinese embassy a few years back, just simply have to said : Hey an honest mistakes we did not mean to do that.:p

I recommend you read up on friendly fire incidents throughout military history.

I'm sorry, GC, but when it comes to military history and doctrine, this post shows you're seriously out of your depth.

Not that I blame you. If all you know about it is the idiocy that comes out of the mouths of journalists (read: communications majors), then you could hardly be expected to know much anyway. They really do an awful job explaining things. Even in Canada.

greatcalgarian

Booko said:
Oh rubbish.

Hezbollah has been firing stuff into northern Israel for years now.

My next door neighbor just got back from having a lovely time visiting her brother-in-law in Nasiriyah -- in a bomb shelter.

The last time she and her family went to Israel they couldn't even get to Nasiriyah, because Hezbollah was lobbing stuff over into the area at the time and the gov't shut off the road north to keep civilians from going into danger. They had to limit their visit to the inlaws in Akka.

btw, whether Israel's reaction is an overreaction or not, if you know anything about military doctrine you know it isn't about "retaliation" -- it's about "interdiction" and "attrition."

If it was about retaliation, they would've blown the hell out of Hezbollah years ago with a bombing so indiscriminate this would look like a child's birthday party by comparison. They have the means.

Really? Hezbellah has been lobbing rockets at Israel land, and Israel has not done anything in the recent past few years since Israel withdrew from the occupied land of Lebanon?:D

greatcalgarian

Booko said:
That would be a few *decades* ago. And 6 years Israel pulled out and the UN agreed they had held up their end of the bargain. So...now what land was Israel "occupying" that Hezbollah thought they needed to defend?

Obviously you have never heard of Shebaa farm, and did not bother to read the very neutral and factual staff from wiki that I posted for your reading pleasure.:p

Booko

Deviled Hen
greatcalgarian said:
These have been coersed into sending in army later after the preliminary slaughtering of carpet bombing has been completed. These are supposedly the US own 'United Nations" peace keeping force, since the UN refused to recognize the act of US and UK being legal. You really have to revised the historical event :D

No, sorry. The Dutch mine sweepers were there from the get go.

Did you miss the Pentagon press conference with the Dutch and Polish commanders standing so prettily behind Rumsfeld? I found it rather memorable, for reasons I will not mention in public anyway.

Well, I don't suppose they would be as likely to interupt anything on Canadian tv for something like that. They did here, though.

btw, the UN has nothing to do with my post that you replied to. You said it was only the US and UK. That was incorrect, as there were a few other nations around.

Even the Italians and the Spaniards were there. You may recall the elections in Spain and Italy making an issue of their involvement, eh? I doubt any Spaniard would've been mad at Prez. Aznar for involving Spain in Iraq if they weren't involved, no?

I don't have to revise history on this point. I remember it quite well, thanks.

greatcalgarian

Booko said:
No, sorry. The Dutch mine sweepers were there from the get go.

Did you miss the Pentagon press conference with the Dutch and Polish commanders standing so prettily behind Rumsfeld? I found it rather memorable, for reasons I will not mention in public anyway.

Well, I don't suppose they would be as likely to interupt anything on Canadian tv for something like that. They did here, though.

btw, the UN has nothing to do with my post that you replied to. You said it was only the US and UK. That was incorrect, as there were a few other nations around.

Even the Italians and the Spaniards were there. You may recall the elections in Spain and Italy making an issue of their involvement, eh? I doubt any Spaniard would've been mad at Prez. Aznar for involving Spain in Iraq if they weren't involved, no?

I don't have to revise history on this point. I remember it quite well, thanks.
Invasion

Main article: 2003 invasion of Iraq
The 2003 invasion of Iraq, termed "Operation Iraqi Freedom" by the US administration, began on March 20. The United States and the United Kingdom supplied 98% of the invading forces. They cooperated with Kurdish forces in the north which numbered upwards of 50,000. Other nations also participated in part of a coalition force to help with the operation by providing equipment, services and security as well special forces. The 2003 Iraq invasion marked the beginning of what is commonly referred to as the Iraq War.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_war#Prior_to_invasion

Only US and UK physically attacked and invaded Iraq in 2003. Other 'willing coalition' nations are there as the cheering dancer you saw in American basketball game etc. They are not the invader or combaters. Look at how quickly one by one those nations pulling out of Iraq when they found out that they have been made use of to decorate the invasion as being legal?:D

greatcalgarian

Unknown number of soldiers

You see even Canada who is not supporting the invasion, somehow, has soldiers embedded in this Willing Coalition. How powerful is US in controlling the world.

greatcalgarian

On March 20, 2003, the invasion of Iraq began. This was seen by many as a violation of international law, breaking the UN Charter (see Legitimacy of the 2003 invasion of Iraq).[9]

When US and UK successfully overthrew the legal Iraqi Government of Sadam Hussein, and completely 'possessed' the whole Iraqi nation, many nations were compelled to send in forces on the understanding that they are there to maintain peace and rebuild the country. So no other country except UK and US invaded Iraq in 2003.