• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dharmic Only: Can Karma Only Be Generated Through Human Birth?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was listening to a Vedanta lecture from Swami Sarvapriyananda this morning and during the Q&A, he answered a question concerning non-human sentient beings and whether or not they're subject to karma. Here is the clip from the lecture...

Agree? Disagree? Why?

Personally, I cannot see the logic in why if a sentient being is subject to past karma that they wouldn't have the conscious ability generate new karma, so I disagree with Swamiji's answer to the question. I'm not even sure what this "conscious ability" might be that we have that non-human sentient beings do not. I think non-human sentient beings have the ability generate karma in the same way a human can.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I was listening to a Vedanta lecture from Swami Sarvapriyananda this morning and during the Q&A, he answered a question concerning non-human sentient beings and whether or not they're subject to karma. Here is the clip from the lecture...

Agree? Disagree? Why?

Personally, I cannot see the logic in why if a sentient being is subject to past karma that they wouldn't have the conscious ability generate new karma, so I disagree with Swamiji's answer to the question. I'm not even sure what this "conscious ability" might be that we have that non-human sentient beings do not. I think non-human sentient beings have the ability generate karma in the same way a human can.
I just stay with cause and effect and dismiss any metaphysical nonsense associated with karma.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
The ability of any being to overcome their innate conditioning is the ability to create karma, imo.