• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dharma and Black Magic

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, in Atharva Veda we have many charms. Most I find are good, i.e., for the benefit of a person and none that can be termed as black. However, in Tantra, I think we have of all kinds, white, as well as black. I am not much aware of them.

"The creation of the demigods is of eight varieties: (1) the demigods, (2) the forefathers, (3) the asuras, or demons, (4) the Gandharvas and Apsaras, or angels, (5) the Yaksas and Raksasas, (6) the Siddhas, Caranas and Vidyadharas, (7) the Bhutas, Pretas and Pisacas, and (8) the superhuman beings, celestial singers, etc. All are created by Brahma, the creator of the universe."
Srimad-Bhagavatam 3:10:28-29

Last edited:

Benst

Well, in Atharva Veda we have many charms. Most I find are good, i.e., for the benefit of a person and none that can be termed as black. However, in Tantra, I think we have of all kinds, white, as well as black. I am not much aware of them.

Tantra has an amazing variety of charms and spells and rituals, all grounded in Hinduism and Buddhism. It's not like the badly mistaken Gunga Din or Indiana Jones view of Tantra. It's not all about sex either.

Although, to be honest, it isn't instantaneous if you believe in it either. I remember a few years ago a famous athiest went on television with a supposed Black Magician.

Was a little embarrassing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbgUSiFiXoE

But, then, you think about yogis in the Hamalayas able to produce heat by nothing but their own bodies. Or Lamas able to leap over mountains to travel.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I saw the interview. But some charms are supposed to be instantaneous. Probably this guru did not know them. :) Yes, there was supposed to be a rishi who would collect water from Bhagirathi (Gaumukh - the snout of River Ganges) and take it to Kedarnath, a famous Shiva temple, to bathe the Shiva lingam there every day. That is some 40 miles over 22,000 ft.

aupmanyav-albums-lumbini-picture5097-gaumukh-kedar.jpg

Last edited:

Benst

I think some of it, the mystique of it all, can sometimes be attributed to just will and baseline yogic practices like breath control and muscle control. I know back 100 years ago walking on hot coals and sitting on beds of nails (to Westerners) seemed like magic... but when you really look at the dynamics anyone can do those things if they prepare themselves properly.

But then you also have 'miracles' performed by Gurus that could be considered magic. Some famous examples that have been heavily criticised by skeptics have been Sathya Sai Baba creating vibhuti in his hand, or just 'magically' creating tokens or rings or something to give to devotees.