• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dhammapada: Chapter 1 commentary

Secret Chief

Stiff Member
(9) He who wishes to put on the yellow dress without having cleansed himself from sin, who disregards temperance and truth, is unworthy of the yellow dress.
(10) But he who has cleansed himself from sin, is well grounded in all virtues, and regards also temperance and truth, he is indeed worthy of the yellow dress.

I'm not sure about the translation using the word "sin." Unskillful action might be a better term.

"American Zen (monk and) author Brad Warner states that in Buddhism there is no concept of sin at all. The Buddha Dharma Education Association also expressly states "The idea of sin or original sin has no place in Buddhism." Zen student and author Barbara O'Brien has said that "Buddhism has no concept of sin." Walpola Rahula also disagreed with the notion of sin, saying "In fact there is no 'sin' in Buddhism, as sin is understood in some religions."

- Buddhist views on sin - Wikipedia

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm not sure about the translation using the word "sin." Unskillful action might be a better term.

"American Zen (monk and) author Brad Warner states that in Buddhism there is no concept of sin at all. The Buddha Dharma Education Association also expressly states "The idea of sin or original sin has no place in Buddhism." Zen student and author Barbara O'Brien has said that "Buddhism has no concept of sin." Walpola Rahula also disagreed with the notion of sin, saying "In fact there is no 'sin' in Buddhism, as sin is understood in some religions."

- Buddhist views on sin - Wikipedia
I was curious about that myself while reading it, as there doesn't seem to be spiritual-based morality in Buddhism. I assumed my translation was using 'sin' to mean an action that inhibits the path to enlightenment.

Secret Chief

Stiff Member
I was curious about that myself while reading it, as there doesn't seem to be spiritual-based morality in Buddhism. I assumed my translation was using 'sin' to mean an action that inhibits the path to enlightenment.

I suspect use of the word is typical of a rather old translation (and by a non-Buddhist).

"Twenty-first century scholars of religion, far from accusing Müller of being anti-Christian, have critically examined Müller's theological project as evidence for a bias towards Christian conceptions of God in early academic religious studies."

- Max Müller - Wikipedia

The Sum of Awe

I suspect use of the word is typical of a rather old translation (and by a non-Buddhist).

"Twenty-first century scholars of religion, far from accusing Müller of being anti-Christian, have critically examined Müller's theological project as evidence for a bias towards Christian conceptions of God in early academic religious studies."

- Max Müller - Wikipedia
Damn, well I hope he doesn't skew things too off course of Buddha's original meaning. I'd rather take on the true philosophy of the Buddha.

Secret Chief

Stiff Member
Darn, it was nice to have hold of a physical copy but I already wasted money on one. But accuracy is more important so I'll just resort to using this pdf version (thanks for that, btw).
I'm not dismissive of the Muller (I've not read it!), indeed it might be beneficial to read the two, side by side, unless that sounds too onerous :)

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
(10)10
One who has cleansed the mind and is endowed with temperance and truthfulness is indeed worthy to wear the saffron robe

Cleansing the mind is a process. There are both external and internal factors that affect both the subconscious and conscious mind negatively. Our true state is one of purity, so what is necessary is the removal of negative factors. At our core, we are cleansed, so look within.

Temperance is rather encompassing. Temperance means self control in all things. To control your desires and emotions is a foundational step in a spiritual journey. Failure to do so will lead you nowhere of value.

Truthfulness. To be honest is hard sometimes. To put yourself in a position where it is never hard to be truthful is best. This is achieved through temperance. Sometimes it is impossible to be honest, however, due to our delusion. We may earnestly believe one way is right, when it is not. So truthfulness perhaps requires accuracy in beliefs.

If you are temperate and truthful, then you have completed the initial steps of spiritual progress. You are now in a position where you can successfully pursue spiritual growth full time. If you were to be let's say a preacher, and try that full time without being temperate and truthful, your path would end in failure.

To be endowed with these things... We know Buddha didn't believe in a god, so in his view it was not god who endows these traits on an individual. If it is not god, then it must be endowed by one's self.

How far I am from donning the robe.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Was contemplating whether I should hold off on completing this chapter commentary or not. The reason to hold off would be to give myself time to purify myself and meditate on this a lot more. But I figure I'll just work on it, as if I'm actively posting on this thread I'll be motivated to meditate on this chapter at least once a day. Then once I'm done I can review the whole thread and add edits to the bottoms of all of them with a greater understanding when I'm hopefully in a better and wiser place.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Truthfulness. To be honest is hard sometimes. To put yourself in a position where it is never hard to be truthful is best. This is achieved through temperance.
This is quite wise.

I think many people are more impressionable than they think, and can do themselves a lot of good simply by avoiding what could lead to trouble(even if they think they have control of it).

There are always exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking, I think keeping yourself out of positions in which its hard to be truthful is ideal.

The Sum of Awe

This is quite wise.

I think many people are more impressionable than they think, and can do themselves a lot of good simply by avoiding what could lead to trouble(even if they think they have control of it).

There are always exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking, I think keeping yourself out of positions in which its hard to be truthful is ideal.
But what if someone was a very toxic person in the past? I find that a lot of people believe it's impossible for someone to change.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
But what if someone was a very toxic person in the past? I find that a lot of people believe it's impossible for someone to change.
I'm not sure I'm following.

If a person was toxic in the past, it means that was the past. It implies that part is done now.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
(11)11
One who imagines the real as false and sees falsehood as reality never arrives at truth but follows vain desires.

I cannot help but look at these verses through the lens of my own personal philosophy (that suffering can be eliminated).

I suppose society imagines that the inevitability of suffering is real. Because of this, we will never arrive at the truth and the conclusion of a world free of suffering.

The elimination/lessening of suffering is the only worthy ultimate aspiration. For how can any other pursuit be anything other than at best vain and at worst detrimental?

That was me viewing the verse while being critical of the world around me. To point the criticism towards myself is something I am learning to do as I age and mature. With each passing year, I am blessed with the hindsight of the previous years. I see how I acted immaturely and cringe. As I get older, and I correct myself with the help of hindsight, I am finding myself able to spot flaws in my character presently. I suppose that with maturity comes the ability to work on yourself without the need of the passage of time and hindsight.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
(12)12 One who knows reality as real and falsehood as false arrives at truth and follows worthy aspirations.

What is truth? Such a question has been debated for millenia. I wager we will not reach a universal agreement on truth, even after going through the entirety of the Dhammapadda. I read somewhere that the Buddha once said that his teachings were merely a boat to cross a river. A boat to be discarded once we crossed and had to move forward on dry land, forging our own path. So perhaps humanity has yet to arrive at truth.

I am of the opinion that the lessening of suffering is a worthy aspiration.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
(13)13
As rain breaks through a poorly thatched house, lust breaks through an unvigiliant mind.

Lust is at first seemingly painted unfavorably here. At its core, lust creates life, so how can lust on principle alone be bad? Upon further inspection, it becomes clear that lust in itself is not bad, according to this verse. It is not compared to smoldering ash that will catch your house on fire, rather, as rain. Water, like sex, is a vital source of life. If rain stopped, so would life itself. Yet, rain can ruin and kill, so it must be appropriately interacted with and guarded against in order not to become overwhelmed by it. So it is with lust. The house is our mind. Lust can overwhelm our ambitions and aspirations and reasoning itself. So be careful.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
(14)14
As rain does not break through the skillfully thatched house, lust does not break through the vigilant mind.

Vigilance is constant. If you let your guard down, you are not being vigilant. A house requires constant repairs, and sexual appetites scarce cease on their own. From my personal experience, battling sexual appetites is a daily battle, often times from the moment I wake up. That's how it is for me at least. I can do things to combat it, like distract myself by reading, but if I do nothing I will be overwhelmed and swept away by the rain.

It is a constant battle. That is why it is said "vigilant mind".

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
(15)15
Evildoers mourn in this world and mourn in the next one. They mourn in both. They mourn and grieve when they see the filthiness of their own deeds.

The "next" world is mentioned. Karma is posited as incapable, even death will not set you free from it.

I know little of the next world, but I do know some things about this world through my experiences and the experiences of others. To reflect on the previous verse, let's say that uncontrolled sexuality is "evil" (evil because it does not bring the individual inner peace or closer to Nirvana). Though an individual may feel excitement in the moment of action, no everlasting satisfaction is achieved. Once this is realized, the "mourning" and "grieving" happens. People who rely on "evil" for their satisfaction will never maintain it.

Even beyond the concept of self satisfaction, the law of karma says that evil will happen to evildoers.

The Buddha paints the evildoer as someone who has the capacity to realize what they are doing is evil. How true is this for us? How easily can we spot our flawed actions in order to correct them? Illusion itself is perhaps an evil, and letting yourself deluded by illusion is an evil act towards one self. So, even in the midst of illusion, one is still held accountable for recognizing the filthiness of their own deeds.