• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deuteronomy 18:17-22

ProudMuslim

Greetings to all :)

17 “And the LORD said to me: ‘What they have spoken is good. 18 I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him. 19 And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him. 20 But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.’ 21 And if you say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?’— 22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

I know the Islamic and Christian perspective on the following verse, but i would like to know please the Jewish perspective on which prophet was Moses (PBUH) talking about in the that verse?

Thank you in advance.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
I have always understood it to be the test of prophets. If someone says something and it comes to pass then listen to them because it is of Hashem. If someone says something and it does not happen then don't listen to them because it is not from Hashem.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I was taught that only when a beneficial prophecy is not realized then we know the prophet is false. If a prophet warns of some dire tragedy and it does not come to pass, that is not a proof he is false. When G-d promises a boon, he always will fulfill. However, if G-d warns of a bane, he may have mercy and abstain, as he did in the story of Jonah with Nineveh.

ProudMuslim

so my understanding from your answers is that this verse does not speak of a specific prophet but rather of prophecy in gerenal?

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
so my understanding from your answers is that this verse does not speak of a specific prophet but rather of prophecy in gerenal?

Correct. Otherwise how are the Jewish people to know who to follow as Hashem's representative when called to. This is one of the great and unique aspects of Judaism is the fact that every important event or revelation was a national revelation; not singular. Otherwise they may be lead to follow every Tom, Dick and Jesus that came down the pike claiming to be a prophet. [tongue in cheek]