• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Descriptions of union with God

lamarkia

"the Incomprehensible Light, enfolding us and penetrating us"

lamarkia's view: The Light—An intense illumination fills the environment and envelops the mystic in a cloud, mist, or a living atmosphere. The subjective light is often white, golden, rose or flame-colored. And yet, the light is really not light, at least in any ordinary sense. Yes, color is there, but there is substance (like clouds or an atmosphere), and a felt presence of divinity itself, and knowledge, and ecstasy. Nothing in life remotely compares to the sheer transcendence of this event All else pales in comparison. All is well with the universe or all-that-is. Death doesn't matter. Somehow it all works out in the end. This is the Holy Grail, the Philosopher's Stone the reason for being. And yet, these words, all words are but poor symbols that, at best, point to the light and what it brings.
lamarkia

roger1440

I do stuff
What are your favourite descriptions of states whereby the individual personality experiences a union with the Godhead?

Please tell and then explain why.

Any sayings, quotations and passages from the writings of a mystic, of whatever faith, are welcome. I should add that if that mystic happens to be yourself, then please go ahead and give a personal experience of unio mystica!

For me, it has to be the Roman Catholic mystic Blessed Jan Van Ruusbroec.

From his spiritual guidebook, "The Sparkling Stone". In this work he gives this description of an unio mystica experience:

My reasons for choosing this particular description are because:

1) It emphasises the paramount nature of union with God as an embrace of love at the highest level. This is no mere impersonal fusion with a mysterious energy or force of nature but a transformative encounter with the Supreme Personal Creator God.

2) The experience is not limited to a mere interaction between two separate beings, as with two human lovers. The impersonal language of darkness and light is used. This hints at something beyond being, beyond personhood, while not excluding it either. Consider the apparent paradox: a divine dark where an incomprehensible light enfolds us. "Dark" signifies something beyond reason, dark according to our intellect, while light signifies an intuitive knowing beyond reason. And yet the light enfolds and penetrates us. Can you imagine being embraced and at peace within a light beyond all understanding? It is remarkably intimate for such impersonal language.

3) Recognising that mystical union blinds the eyes of our reason and cannot be understood rationally, with the understanding of the mind, note how Ruusbroec describes it as an intuition of eternity. It is an intuitive experience, a unknown knowing coming from deep within us, not from logic or thought.

4) Now we come to the climax of this experience. At once so personal and intimate, a union of love beyond the reach of the mind, now it is described in terms familiar to Advaita (Non-Dualism) in Indian philosophy. In the Upanishads this is encapsulated in the memorable saying Tat Tvam Asi (Thou art That). Ruusbroec is saying the same here. In the unitive state, the person attains to a union of indistinction with God in which he or she can discern no difference between themselves and the Absolute Spirit. We are what we are looking at; God is us and we are God, like staring out our own reflection in the water.

5) Ruusbroec does not end here in a state of undifferentiated monistic identity with God but rather explains that union does not destroy our distinct personality. I and Thou always remains on some level, a union of love, while being transcended on another by a feeling of utter absorption into the "Divine Truth".

6) Finally Ruusbroec tells us that to gaze with our essence into our superessence in God and experience oneness with Him, is a seeing life. It is to be awakened to a new life in the spirit. From these heights we must come back down to earth and go out with a common loving-kindness towards all creatures.

And so that's me :angel2:

Your turn!
male_and_female_by_roger1440-d5l7n00.jpg

“Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." (Gen 2:24)

[FONT=&quot]14 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You ask, “Why?” It is because the Lord is the witness between you and the wife of your youth. You have been unfaithful to her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth. (Malachi 2:14-15)
[/FONT]

These verses and image represents a person’s mystical union with God. The verses I can’t take credit for, but the image is mine. I had made it about 15 years ago.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My own experience came to a head, as it were, looking into the massive, glistening eyes of Vishnu. I saw my own reflection in those eyes and knew he saw the same.
Good to see this thread resurrected here, as I missed this post of yours first time around! :) Time for us to discuss this interesting area between us again, with some new perspectives to offer.

What you describe here is familiar to me in more recent meditation experiences. Vouthon is fond of Meister Eckhart, as am I, and it is interesting to no end for me how that as new light comes through meditation to me, I randomly pick up a book of collected sermons of Meister Eckhart to read what I haven't previously, only to see leaping off the pages exactly that experience/realization I just had within the last several days. Words from the 14th century transcending time into that timeless present. Here's what I read that I had just come to, almost verbatim in my own experience, which your words above reflect as well:

"The hearing of God's Word requires complete self-surrender. He who hears and that which is heard are identical constituents of the eternal Word. What the eternal Father teaches is his own Being, Nature, and Godhead - which he is always revealing through his only begotten Son. He teaches that we are to be identical with him.

To deny one's self is to be the only begotten Son of God and one who does so has for himself all the properties of that Son. All God's acts are performed and his teachings conveyed through the Son. And when this is accomplished in God's sight, he is so fond of us and so fervent that he acts as if his divine Being might be shattered and he himself annihilated if the whole foundations of his Godhead were not revealed to us, together with his nature and being. God makes haste to do this, so that it may be ours as it is his. It is here that God finds joy and rapture in fulfillment and the person who is thus within God's knowing and love becomes just what God himself is."​

The purpose of God is for us to know God and to become the Son of God. There is this duality which holds this realization to the mind, which then ultimately dissolves into a Unity Consciousness whereas Meister Eckhart elsewhere says so beautifully, "The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love." That is being the Son of God, realizing ourselves as indistinguishable from God. We are God. At which point, God becomes us, and to us there is no God. Does God know a God other than Himself? 'Besides me, there is no God', says God.

There I hovered for almost 8 hours and eventually faded into unconsciousness, but was awakened by my legs screaming. I had been locked in the Lotus position the whole time.
You should be careful about this. That can lead to blood clots in the legs which could later dislodge and get trapped in the heart. My nephew had this very thing happen to him recently that was caused by cramping his legs years early in a duck-blind so badly that he couldn't walk for over 10 minutes until sensation came back to them. Blood thinner were given to help those dissolve. Years later, they had become life threatening. Just saying, be careful about that. ;)

In the East, people say that We are all potentially divine. I have taken liberties with that and say, We are all essentially divine - even with all our warts...
I agree with this. In my first experience of this radiant energy that is in all things, and through all things, and from all things, the people I saw glowed with this Light as in everything around them; the air, the sky, the grass, and all the world within. But I could see in their eyes an unawareness of this which they were and which surrounded them. Their minds, the world of their minds they lived within in each of their own heads blinded them to this, and to themselves. Whereas to me, it was radiantly clear, obvious.

We are, they were, all divine. Everything is, and we as sentient humans have the capacity to know that in ourselves in fuller self-realization as I-I, as the eternal Son of God, as living human incarnations of that which we call God. But we deny it to ourselves through the blindness created by fear and guilt and self-loathings. We imprison ourselves through death-anxiety, that dissolution of the self we cling to as we fear release into being God.

Last edited:

Orbit

I'm a planet
One of my favorite mystic experiences occurred in a rather mundane context. I was a theist at the time.

I was at a concert in a small club, watching a band fittingly called the Meat Puppets, when I felt myself drenched in white light. My subjectivity merged with God and I felt a boundless compassion for all who were there dancing; I regarded them as children playing in the dance of life, where everything was just a game to be played, innocently. They would be all right, I knew, every one of them. I was enveloped in love, and radiated love all at once. Words fail me to describe the depth, tolerance, compassion, and all-encompassing nature of this love.