• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depriving Yourself of What God Has Permitted

bahamut19

From the Kitab-i-Aqdas #36:

How many a servant has secluded himself in the islands of India, depriving himself of what God has permitted him, enduring hardships and tribulations, yet does not mention before God the station of the signs. Do not make your actions a partnership of hopes, and do not deprive yourselves of this goal, which was the hope of the near ones in the primordial past. Say, “The spirit of actions is my satisfaction, and everything is contingent upon my acceptance.” Read the tablets so you may know what is intended in the books of God, the Mighty, the Bestower. Whoever succeeds in my love, it is his right to sit on the bed of contentment in the heart of existence. As for the one who is deprived, even if he were to sit on the ground, he seeks refuge from it with God, the Lord of all religions.

What are some ways believers of faiths, to include the Baha'i Faith, will deprive themselves of what God allows?
What tablets does Baha'u'llah refer to so we may know what is intended in the Books of God?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Should a man wish to adorn himself with the ornaments of the earth, to wear its apparels, or partake of the benefits it can bestow, no harm can befall him, if he alloweth nothing whatever to intervene between him and God, for God hath ordained every good thing, whether created in the heavens or in the earth, for such of His servants as truly believe in Him. Eat ye, O people, of the good things which God hath allowed you, and deprive not yourselves from His wondrous bounties. Render thanks and praise unto Him, and be of them that are truly thankful.
Adib Taherzadeh, The Covenant of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 21-22

We can appreciate without attaching ourselves to the things of this world. It sometimes happens that if a man loses his fortune he is so disheartened that he dies or becomes insane. While enjoying the things of this world we must remember that one day we shall have to do without them.
‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Divine Philosophy, p. 135-136

Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us. A prosperous merchant who is not absorbed in his business knows severance. A banker whose occupation does not prevent him from serving humanity is severed. A poor man can be attached to a small thing.
‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Divine Philosophy, p. 135-136

arthra

Baha'i
You can review the Kitab-i-Aqdas at the following site:

and the codifications of the laws are present... for Baha'is these are followed for the latest dispensation.

Understanding Baha'i Covenant is important as it applies to how we apply various laws, etc.

In the Baháʼí Faith there are two covenants, deemed the 'greater' and 'lesser'. The greater covenant refers to an agreement of progressive revelation: that God will send messengers about every thousand years, and it is humanity's duty to recognize them and respond to their teachings. The lesser covenant is the agreement between the faith's founder, Baháʼu'lláh, and his followers, regarding the succession of leadership and the maintenance of unity.[1]

Succession in the Baháʼí covenant was explicit and in written form, providing a clear chain of authority that led Baháʼís to follow ʻAbdu'l-Bahá as the authorized interpreter of Baháʼí scripture after Baháʼu'lláh's death, and the one who would lead the community.[1] Baháʼu'lláh outlined the Universal House of Justice, a nine-member institution that could legislate on religious matters, and hinted at an appointed role for his descendants, both of which were elaborated upon by ʻAbdu'l-Bahá when he appointed Shoghi Effendi as the Guardian. The Universal House of Justice, first elected in 1963, remains the supreme governing body of the worldwide Baháʼí community. Anyone rejecting a link in this chain of leadership is regarded as a Covenant-breaker.[1]

To Baháʼís, the Covenant of Baháʼu'lláh and its guarantee of unity represents a unique feature of their religion. For example, they regard the successorships of Jesus to Saint Peter and Muhammad to Ali as unwritten attempts to maintain unity that ultimately failed as their religions broke into contending factions.[1] Through the covenant, the Baháʼí Faith prevented schism, and the several attempts to form alternative leadership have failed to attract a sizeable following due to their lack of scriptural authority.
[1]

Last edited: