• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Legalizes Marijuana

It is now legal to posess 1 ounce of marijuana in your home in Denver Colorado if you are of 21 years of age or older. Its a start for the againist the war on drugs.

Ardent Listener

ALifetimeToWaitFor... said:
It is now legal to posess 1 ounce of marijuana in your home in Denver Colorado if you are of 21 years of age or older. Its a start for the againist the war on drugs.
Maybe it is legal as far as the goverment of Denver Colorado is concern, but it is still far from being legal there. There are still state and federal laws to consider. But I agree that it is a start.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Yeah, as time goes on, the punishments for personal use amounts seems to be getting less and less, even here in Texas. Definately a move in the right direction. Sadly we will not be getting back all the rights to privacy that were trampled by the war on drugs even if the war ends and the prohibition goes away.

The government does not give back the rights that it has taken away. It never gets smaller and it never extends more rights to its citizens. Those are a couple of the very few "Always or Nevers" you can count on in life.

B.

gtrsgrls

I wouldn't be against the legalization of marijuan if it didn't effect other people.Like if some kid's parents do it than that obviously tells the child that it's ok to do it.Drugs ruin people's lives because they get addicted and it just consums them.In the earlier 1990's,there was a pitcher(I can't think of his name) who was titled the best pitcher in all of baseball.A year or two ago one of my freinds sat next to him on a bus.The man now lives in a trailor park and he didn't own a car.He let drugs ruin his entire life.Maybe if people would use them responsibly I wouldn't be so against it.But the point is that most people can't.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
So you must be in favour of banning everything that people can get addicted to, right, gtrsgrls?

People can get addicted to anything (drugs, food, sex, internet, tv, exercise, need I go on?) and let it ruin their lives. Just because some people can´t handle life doesn´t mean the rest of us should be banned from it.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
jamaesi said:
So you must be in favour of banning everything that people can get addicted to, right, gtrsgrls?

People can get addicted to anything (drugs, food, sex, internet, tv, exercise, need I go on?) and let it ruin their lives. Just because some people can´t handle life doesn´t mean the rest of us should be banned from it.

Has anyone seen a bad movie called "Demolition Man" with Wesley Snipes and Sylvester Stallone, where everything that was considered "bad" was illegal? That's the kind of society we want to avoid. Freedom means allowing people to do things that are bad for them... without governments setting up laws to stop them. A good government is one that prevents people from harming each other through force or fraud. Everything else a government does is a restriction of liberty.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Darkdale said:
Has anyone seen a bad movie called "Demolition Man" with Wesley Snipes and Sylvester Stallone, where everything that was considered "bad" was illegal?
wow! Demolition Man?:biglaugh:

even swearing was illegal.

Be wellx

Draka

Wonder Woman
I've noticed that it all seems to depend on where you live anyway. When I lived in California I noticed that someone could get caught by the cops in the act of smoking a joint and most often they were just told to put it out. Whereas here in Iowa if you are found to have a pipe in your possession with residue in it you can go to jail for paraphenalia charges. Place to place the laws differ anyway.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This new law is just a local ordinance, marijuana possession stil illegal under State and Federal law.

Denver's beau geste is more a political statement than anything else.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
What is important about this decision by the people of Denver is that a community if finally standing up to say that it will no longer waste its taxpayers resoures on upholding of a rediculous, hypocritical ban. No longer will the people of Denver have to pay for the apprehension, prosecution, and incarceration of non criminals. I applaud the people of Denver and hope that this is a trend that sweeps the country. Only a fool thinks "the land of the free" should have illegal plants.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does this mean the local Denver police will not involve themselves in enforcing state and federal laws against marijuana?

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Well, if the city of Denver legallized the personal posession of up to one ounce of marijuana, I would say that the Denver Police would not get involved in State and Federal cases unless it exceeds the legel limit. The intreasting thing here IS that 1 ounce limit. Why do you need that? Do they set a 1 case of beer limit at the liquor store? I'd much rather be around someone who smoked too much then drank too much. Here in KY, though not legel, marijuana is treated VERY lightly, requiring possesion of a half a pound (8 oz for the measurement impaired) before it becomes a serious offense. Possesion of pariphinallia is a more serious charge, as the 2nd offense is a FELONY.

joeboonda

I am glad Denver, even if its just the city laws, legalized it. We need to just legalize it all around and forget about it. If things 'go to pot', and worse things come of it than the current oppression is causing, which I doubt would happen, then just put some penalties back. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno, just seems like we should have the freedom to make our own choices about it.

sdotbrown

Does anyone else think that it would be a good idea to make it illegal to sell marijuana, but not to own it. Just regulate the selling of seeds. Say that plants cannot leave the persons apartment/house/yard or whatever the situation may be.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Well, I know I will be unpopular for saying this, but I think legalizing drugs is the downward slope..........:(

sdotbrown

michel said:
Well, I know I will be unpopular for saying this, but I think legalizing drugs is the downward slope..........:(
I agree that bad could come of it, but I don't think people should be denied the right to choose what they want to do.

MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
The government does not give back the rights that it has taken away. It never gets smaller and it never extends more rights to its citizens. Those are a couple of the very few "Always or Nevers" you can count on in life.
amen, brother. aint that the truth.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
michel said:
I agree with you, Michel, in the case of most drugs, but I make an exception for marijuana. I think it ought to be legalized, and abuse of it dealt with as a medical issue, rather than as a criminal issue.