• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats' Fury, and Values, Go AWOL

Rex

Founder
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Democrats' Fury, and Values, Go AWOL [/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Marie Cocco[/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

I've been thinking a lot lately about Howard Dean.

A year ago, the Democratic establishment was openly vexed at the prospect that Dean, the former Vermont governor who led an insurgent campaign for president, might win the Iowa caucuses and so be catapulted to the Democratic nomination. As it happens, Dean lost badly in Iowa and then imploded spectacularly.

I did not think highly of Dean's candidacy, nor of the legions of Deaniacs who were mostly young and inexperienced at politics and so thought they knew better than the old and experienced. But I understand what drove their fury.

And I have been thinking about Dean lately because I've been thinking about the Democratic response - rather, the stunning lack of one - to the Alberto Gonzales nomination.

Gonzales is the first-term counsel for the Bush White House who helped develop novel interpretations of the laws of war and human rights that led to the torture, abuse - even death - of scores of detainees held by the United States in the war on terror. For his part in this blot on the nation's international reputation, the president has rewarded Gonzales with promotion to attorney general.

Gonzales had generous opportunity at his confirmation hearing last week to repudiate his own reasoning - laid out in a memo that he, and not some Justice Department functionary, wrote - that the president can ignore both international law and domestic anti-torture statutes, and that anyone acting on this authority could evade responsibility for war crimes if such an "unwarranted prosecution" were pursued. Gonzales declined at the hearing to say whether he still thinks the president is empowered to order torture and immunize those who carry it out.

Likewise, he could not - would not - say whether a foreign nation could order the torture of U.S. citizens if its leaders thought their own national security was at stake. "I'm not in a position to answer that question," Gonzales said. Nor would he say whether he agrees with outgoing Attorney General John Ashcroft, whose opinion was that torture is an ineffective interrogation technique. "I don't have any way of reaching a conclusion on that," Gonzales said.

Eloquent obtuseness is a trait of in-your-face nominees. Having been sufficiently audacious to put themselves forward despite a scandal that would cause others to slink away in shame, they know that a few hours of dodging and weaving wins them a more exalted position.

No senator has come forward to oppose Gonzales. Senate Republicans coalesce around their commander-in-chief. Senate Democrats coalesce around a strategy of convenient fecklessness.

The Democrats are, of course, opposed to torture. They have, they say, "serious questions" or "grave concerns" or "deep reservations" about Gonzales' record on the subject. And they are, most all of them, planning to vote for him anyway.

Just like most of them voted to give the president authority to invade Iraq, even though they had serious questions and grave concerns and deep reservations about that, too. The Iraq war vote, more than anything, is what ignited the Dean insurgency. There was this sense - a correct one - that Democrats in Washington would not stand up to stop George W. Bush even when they sensed the president was driving us over a precipice.

Now these senators are poised to take the following position: They are against torture but they are for the man who set the stage for torture.

The Democrats lost the presidential election in part because they aren't trusted on national security. How is this problem solved by embracing one of the administration's worst foreign policy failures?

What did acquiescing on Iraq get the Democrats? Substantively, they are complicit in the misadventure and will be part of the political generation that must spend the next decade or two digging out from the rubble. And politically? The Democrats lost seats in Congress and the contest for president, too.

Enabling the Bush administration's habit of escaping accountability for even the grossest failure isn't smart politics. It's cowardice. If Democrats are to compete on the political turf of values, they'd better find some they stand for. Marie Cocco's column appears Tuesdays.

[/font]

Faminedynasty

It astounds me that so many Democrats after the brutal defeat delivered to us all by the old confederacy in the last elections actually think that the solution is to be more like the Republicans. Kerry, whatever his real feelings were, posed as a centrist, apologetic for not being a Republican, assuring America that he still didn't like faggots getting married and demonstrating that he still kills animals for fun. Dean would have been a better candidate because for one, obviously, he did not sell out and vote for the war powers of the incompetent George W. Bush, and secondly he was a candidate who appealed to the ideals of democracy, law, sensibility and sympathy for the common worker so lacking from the agenda of the right. He could have been better, but he wasn't bad.

There is a power-base in this country that isn’t being appealed to. As the Republicans move away from conservatism and to something more like fascism and as the democrats move to be more like the Republicans, what of the countless millions of Americans who believe in the ideals of democracy? In supremacy of law and in international law. Those who believe that the President and those who collaborate with him are corrupt. Those who believe in peace and in the common people having political representation and power. They are not represented by this government.

As a democrat of sorts, I want a class war candidate. Probably black and raised in Harlem, a militant leftist willing to tax the hell out of the rich, to raise minimum wage and to punish corporations who lay off workers here to use slave labor elsewhere. A candidate who will end the wars fought for the corruption and greed of a few evil men. An unapologetic leftist who isn’t concerned with appealing to religious lunatics who do not understand or respect the separation of church and state. A candidate of the workers and the poor and of the common man with enough sense to know that more wealth and political power will never come from a Republican party who believes that the purpose of government is to consolidate wealth in the hands of a few.

Granted, someone of this description couldn’t win a national election at this time, but he will get my vote, and the votes of all of my friends and family and could possibly mobilize the vote of the inner cities as never before seen. Even if it means losing the next few elections, holding on to the values of democracy instead of elitism, of internationalism instead of nationalism and logic instead of hysteria is what we must do.
We have suffered a staggering loss at Fredericksburg, but perhaps Gettysburg awaits.

The Kerry defeat demonstrated (again) that if we try to be like Republicans the Republicans beat us. Despite all Kerry's misguided attempts to look strong on defense by supporting the lie that Iraq is part of the war on terror, the GOP still successfully branded him a Massachusetts liberal. We lost in 2004 because we weren't angry enough. And it looks like the professional election losers who run what I still reluctantly call my party are going to continue not being angry.

We are in the minority in Congress. That makes us an opposition party. An opposition party opposes the majority. It is not supposed to kiss the majority's ***.

If Democratic Senators don't raise a HUGE stink about the Gonzalez nomination AND the Condaleeza Rice nomination (remember, Rice ignored repeated warnings that Al Qaeda was going to attack the US on our own soil again [using hijacked planes at that] and was one of the people who was spectacularly wrong about Iraq's WMDs and ties to Al Qaeda) then they will have proved that they don't really give a damn about this country.

Perhaps it would be better to embrace being a MA liberal. If you can't shake an image, run with it and use it to your advantage rather than waste energy fighting it.