• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democracy died in 2000

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
By Robert Parry
November 12, 2007 (Originally published November 12, 2001)

Editor’s Note: Six years ago on another Veterans Day holiday, eight news organizations published the findings of their unofficial recount of Florida’s disputed ballots. The recount had discovered that Al Gore would have won the decisive Florida election if all legally cast votes were counted.

However, just two months after the 9/11 attacks, the news organizations chose to conceal the obvious “Gore Won” lead, apparently putting their sense of “patriotism” over journalistic professionalism.

Rather than tell already-shaken Americans that the wrong man was in the White House, the big news outlets – including the New York Times, the Washington Post and CNN – structured their stories around hypothetical recounts that would have excluded some legal votes and thus still would have resulted in a Bush “victory.”

To further protect Bush’s “legitimacy” amid the 9/11 crisis, the news organizations mocked those who challenged these carefully structured stories as “Gore partisans” or “conspiracy theorists.”
It's a fact that the Florida Department of Elections, led by the partisan Katherine Harris, took out a $4 million contract with Database Technologies, which in turn compiled a list of felons -- the only problem is, after they checked their records twice, thousands weren't felons -- and they just happened to be mostly African American and Democrats.

Jeb Bush promised his brother Florida. He gave it to him through his hand-picked secretary of state and his father's federal judges. On the records Gore lost by less than 600 votes in Florida. In reality, he had thousands more votes than Bush.

Apparently democracy wasn't that big of a deal to our Supreme Court.

Consortiumnews.com

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The main stream media has been screwing with the American people for decades.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
That link informed me of the joys of the RESTORE act, which, having nothing to do with the death of democracy in the slightest, failed to pique my interest. The word democracy is entirely absent from the page. I did get a bit annoyed by a series of updates which contradicted each other.
The idea of non-anecdotal evidence appears to be lost on people.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Oh, I agree. Dubya is still president.
Do you dispute the second election?
Bush's presidency does not make up a sizable percent of democratic elections.
2 elections at most.
Now if say 60% of our elections were fraudulent, you can say democracy died. Until then you spewing hot air to elicit an emotional response.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That link informed me of the joys of the RESTORE act, which, having nothing to do with the death of democracy in the slightest, failed to pique my interest. The word democracy is entirely absent from the page. I did get a bit annoyed by a series of updates which contradicted each other.
The idea of non-anecdotal evidence appears to be lost on people.

You need to do a little searching on Greewald's site, but if you do, then you'll find ample evidence for how the mainstream media has betrayed the American people.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
You need to do a little searching on Greewald's site, but if you do, then you'll find ample evidence for how the mainstream media has betrayed the American people.
Ah, I already have seen plenty of evidence for that. No need to convince me. Unfortunately, this does not show how democracy has died.
Ah, its a misunderstanding. I was not referring to your post, but the OP.
I'll edit to clarify

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Democracy died in 2000 as in it was defeated by subversion. Not that it can't return.
How is that death? Why didn't you just say "Democracy was subverted in 2000" instead of "Democracy died in 2000"
Dying implies its gone forever. Poof. Never to appear again.
But dying elicits an emotional response, so lets use that.
Is this sounding familiar? This is what the media does.And as voiced in the thread, the media is deplorable at best

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
How is that death? Why didn't you just say "Democracy was subverted in 2000" instead of "Democracy died in 2000"
Dying implies its gone forever. Poof. Never to appear again.
But dying elicits an emotional response, so lets use that.
Is this sounding familiar? This is what the media does.And as voiced in the thread, the media is deplorable at best

Such splitting of hairs is done to avert from the actual topic. I don't recall ever being objective. Care to actually comment on the action of stealing an election?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Such splitting of hairs is done to avert from the actual topic. I don't recall ever being objective.
My point was your blatant sensationalization is nothing more than an attempt to elicit an emotional response. Emotion should kept as far from a debate as possible
Care to actually comment on the action of stealing an election?
He was voted into office again. The majority of Americans who actually bothered to vote thought he was doing a good job in 2004.
The electorate was designed to make tallying votes easier. It's painful to count a few million votes. It is, by and large, an outdated system, although it should be kept until the kinks in electronic voting are worked out. The electorate has received far too much attention from this "death of democracy". If anything, the gerrymandering was likely far more responsible than the electorate system itself.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
True democracy never lived in the first place.

We are a democratic republic, not a democracy. To be a true democracy, every citizen would have to vote on every proposed bill, which is a full-time job for our representatives, and would be so for us, too.

Al Gore did win that election by popular vote, though. I'm perfectly fine with not having Gore as our president, we just need to discard the outdated electoral college system.

Random

The main stream media has been screwing with the American people for decades.

Yes. Shocking to hear that kind of truthiness coming from you, Phil-O-Mon! Brave. Furballs... :cool:

Edit. - Damn system won't let me furball you, Phil, sorry. I'll get you another time.

nutshell

It's a fact that the Florida Department of Elections, led by the partisan Katherine Harris, took out a $4 million contract with Database Technologies, which in turn compiled a list of felons -- the only problem is, after they checked their records twice, thousands weren't felons -- and they just happened to be mostly African American and Democrats.

Jeb Bush promised his brother Florida. He gave it to him through his hand-picked secretary of state and his father's federal judges. On the records Gore lost by less than 600 votes in Florida. In reality, he had thousands more votes than Bush.

Apparently democracy wasn't that big of a deal to our Supreme Court.

Consortiumnews.com

That's funny. I've heard reports from sources such as NPR which have stated even with proper recounts it's likely Bush would still have won.