• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deism - A Way To Progress

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
seishin said:
Deut. 32.8,

You seem to have lots of questions, I'm just curious as too what YOUR beliefs are?
Humanistic Judaism and philosophical naturalism. I see nothing to warrant a belief in God(s), in the supernatural, or in a teleological universe. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask - though this may not be the best forum for such a discussion.

seishin

How would you explain the design of the universe based on our infinitesimal knowledge of its origin and its being? Would you say that you could explain it in “natural” terms as opposed to “supernatural”? It’s interesting that you chose to capitalize G in God despite your lack of belief.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
seishin said:
'How would you explain the design of the universe based on our infinitesimal knowledge of its origin and its being?'
Poorly, no doubt. I leave such explanations to people such as Stephen Hawking and try my best to follow along. On the other hand, "God did it." is a statement of faith that 'explains' nothing.

The more interesting question is why you, armed with no more than "infinitesimal knowledge", would presume a supernatural agency. I am reminded of the following:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.

-- Charles Darwin, Introduction to The Descent of Man (1871)​
seishin said:
' Would you say that you could explain it in 'natural' terms as opposed to 'supernatural'?''
Increasingly. What have you explained in 'supernatural terms'?

seishin said:
It's interesting that you chose to capitalize G in God despite your lack of belief.
I do so as a matter of respect. I also capitalize words such as 'Christian', 'Bible', 'Hindu', etc.

The next logical step is for Deism to help society itself progress.

While I would say that's a true statement, I would say that it's also true of almost every religion and philosophic world view. If not focused on society en mass,then they undoubtedly seek to change and individual, which will have the same effect of changing society. I only mention this to ward off criticism that you expressed this a novel principal only associated with Deism.

When enough individuals become Deists, society will be transformed.

Do you feel that the goal is go get a critical mass of believers that will tip the scales in society's religious understanding, or to simply seek truth on an individual level and let free association between free people take care of the rest?

Also, do you feel that Deism's decline since the Enlightenment means it is failing in this regard?

This will not only end the careers of the faith-healers, it will, to a very large extent, be the end of the politicians. Because a population of majority Deists won't accept the lies and half-truths of the political careerists, the politicians will be replaced by leaders. Instead of accepting things on faith, the people will want, and demand, real answers.

Not to seem to harshly critical of you, but I doubt very much this is true. We have several examples through history where people enter dangerous mass movements of every type (especially political ones) despite being in full possession of their senses. The hysteria that erupted after the French Revolution touched many who would consider themselves Deists.

Group-think is very dangerous, and can be exploited by people claiming to be Deists as easily as any other. Tribalism will exist so long as their are distinctions between Individuals and groups. I don't necessarily think that Deists would be able to elect leaders as opposed to politicians any more than the general population when they vote in groups; they just may elect politicians of the same political persuasion.

DrM, Do you believe in the resurrection?

Most people willing to apply the term "Deist" to themselves would probably say that they don't believe in miracles, and, as such, they probably wouldn't believe in the resurrection. That's a question that you fielded to him specifically though, and there is no official body of beliefs members must adhere to, so some Deists possibly would.

Thanks for creating an interesting post with some great discussion DrM.