• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Definitions!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Another thread made me think of this again. How do each of you define these terms?

- theist
- agnostic
- atheist
- antitheist

It seems to me that to a large degree, these terms are either new or radically re-defined from their historic meaning. I'm interested to see what people think they mean now.

Are they mutually exclusive? Can a person be both a theist and an agnostic, for example?

Does atheism imply antitheism? Does antitheism imply atheism?

Which term or terms would apply to a newborn baby? Why?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Pure because of your last question I would like to add the non-theist.

theist: one who believes in God.
agnost: one who claims god is either non-provable or non-disprovable. He can lean towards theism or atheism, but not enough to call himself so.
atheist: one who believes there is no God.
antitheist: an idiot!

Now the problem arives again, the definition of "God" :p

These are merely labels. It's a system to give the other a short explaination of your stance. You can define those also with 4 pages of text about what an atheist should be exactly, but that would take away the idea of short explanation.

Fluffy

A fool
Theist: God certainly exists (certain view), God probably exists (probable view)
Agnostic: The chance of God existing and the chance of God not existing is equally probable (determinate view), God's existence is unknowable (indeterminate view), I don't know whether God exists or not (undeterminate view)
Atheist: God certainly does not exist (certain view), God probably does not exist (probable view)
Anti-theist: God/religion is stupid

The number of people who believe the certain view are less than those who believe the probable view. Therefore, theism and especially atheism have come to be used for both the certain and the probable view. This means that an agnostic cannot lean towards either end of the spectrum without adopting, to some degree, the probable view and so becoming an atheist or theist. Therefore, I don't think any position should be described as "atheist agnostic" or "theist agnostic" although, historically, there may be several reasons for doing so.

Anti-theism is about a different attribute of God than the other positions and so is compatible with all of them. It is not implied by any of them.

Babies have been claimed to be theists, agnostics and atheists by different people but I think that none of these terms should apply. Each term makes a specific, positive claim about the world. Any person who has not thought of these things yet is not making a specific, positive claim. I like BB's term, "non-theist".

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
One who believes that God is a supernatural deity.

- agnostic
Neutral, having no beliefs about God, with the possible exception of "God is unknowable."
- atheist
One who does not believe in God, an active stance.
- antitheist
One who believes that religion/ God-belief should be eradicated for whatever reason.

Are they mutually exclusive? Can a person be both a theist and an agnostic, for example?
There are those who label themselves thusly, and who am I to gainsay it? It makes little sense to me, however.

Does atheism imply antitheism?
No. Atheism is about worldviews, antitheism is about politics.
Does antitheism imply atheism?
I've yet to encounter an antitheist who wasn't an atheist, so I have to say yes on this one.
None, properly. Or rather, we can't know.

If pressed, I would have to default to agnosticism, simply because it is neutral.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
theist- Someone who believes in the existence of a god or God
agnostic- Someone who admits not knowing if there is a god or God or not
atheist- Someone who does not believe in the existence of a god or God
antitheist- Someone who is against any religion.

These are merely definitions. Note that no one complete fits any label.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Another thread made me think of this again. How do each of you define these terms?

- theist
"I believe in God as the image of God that I know."

- agnostic
"I don't know, but I know that the image of God is not God."
- agnostic theist
"I hold an image of God that is not God."
- agnostic atheist
"The images of God people hold are not God."

- atheist
"There is no God I know but the images of God people hold."

- antitheist
"What the f*** are you talking about? Nevermind, I don't want to know."

None. Each require one to adopt an opinion.

Edit:

- nontheist
"I'm just me."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I guess I should put my own definitions in here:

- theist: a person who believes in deity/deities. Personally, I tend to use "theism" as a generic descriptor for all types of belief in God, but I'd be willing to make a distinction between theism, deism and possibly other versions of belief in deity if pressed.

- agnostic: a person who believes that the existence of deity/deities is unknowable, either temporarily (e.g. "we don't have all the facts") or permanently (e.g. "humans don't have the capacity to prove or disprove God").

- atheist: a person who has no belief in any deity.

- antitheist: a person who has an active disbelief in the existence of any deity.

- non-theist: synonym for atheist.