• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Debate Regarding Aspects of Theism

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hello and welcome! *removes shoes and enters the 'one on one' room, steps on to the comfortable carpet and carefully arranges two comfortable cushions, kneeling on one*

Today, the debate will feature a discussion between myself and the esteemed Mormanman, whose avatar never fails to bring me a smile.

The issue in question relates to several thing, and stems from the following exchange in this thread:

mormonman said:
"We" implies the majority of Americans. I googled it and found different polls that ranged from about 80-95% belief in god. One example of these polls is http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,99945,00.html. You know where this is going? In a few years we won't be able to worship God in public. Pat your self on the back, because it's going to be the 5-20% of Americans, like you, that are going to do this. I refuse to be controlled by a 5% minority. :149:
FeathersinHair said:
As I'm sure will be stated by others, Fox News is not the most unbiased of networks.

Are you saying that all theists should be promoting having "In God We Trust" on currency? As a polytheist, I'm interested if a different god would go on each denomination. Or maybe rotating is the answer? The Abrahamic God on dollar bills one month, Kwan Yin the next...

mormonman said:
There were a host of websites. As I said this poll was "one example". I hesitate to be blunt, and I apologize in advance, but all "theists" should be monotheists and support "In God We Trust".
FeathersinHair said:
Would you support "In Goddess We Trust"?

If not, I would be happy to have a one- on-one debate with you about the issue. If you do not answer, I will assume that you chose to put "theists" in quotation marks because they're your favorite form of punctuation (They're mine, second only to parenthesis!) and are also aware that the above 'should' is being said under the understood context of "I and/ or my belief system tells me thusly." While I appreciate your understanding of how your statement might be taken, I believe that this is a seperate issue, and, again, would be very happy to debate it with you and others.
mormonman said:
I can go into a one-on-one debate.Knockout lol
And thus, this debate. :)

As far as I can tell, there are at least a few different issues that can be discussed.
The major one, as I see it, is the question of whether or not polytheists 'qualify' as theists. It is my position that they do.

Mormonman, if there is another issue that you see that you would prefer to start with, please let it be known. I will also give you choice of whether or not you prefer to have the 'opening argument'.

As always, with one-on-one debates, RF asks that only two members post in the thread at a time. If there is a point that someone else wishes to make regarding the same topic, please make a thread about it and discuss or debate it there. (Any negative personal comments about those debating will be deleted.) In this debate, I will be taking off my moderator hat, and would ask to be treated in my role as a fellow member. (Which I am.)

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
Thanks for the complement on the avatar. :D Ohhh...sorry I got confused. Polytheists are "theists". The definition of theist proves your point. We can change the debate to "In God We Trust" or "In Goddess We Trust", or another issue you want to debate. Is that ok?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hmm... I guess I got thrown by the putting of "theists" in quotation marks. I apologize if I wrongly assumed you were making the statement that polytheism is not a valid path.

I made the statement "In Goddess We Trust" in jest. (Unfortunately, not funny enough for it to be caught, I guess. :( ) I was trying to draw up the difference that different theists believe in different things, and thus not all theists (for both religious and societal reasons) believe that "In God We Trust" should be on currency, even if we believe in a Deity. (Or, for that matter, several.) I suppose, if there was not any conflict in believing that polytheists are theists, the topics that remain are

1. Polytheism is/ is not a valid path.
2. All theists should/ should not believe that a reference to Diety should be on the currency.
3. The feminine aspect of the divine and if it should be acknowledged publicly.

I would very much enjoy discussing any of these subjects, though if you are able to catch another topic that I missed, please feel free to include it in our 'options'.