• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Death is necessary for renewal. Physical death might be the end of everything for all I know, but psychological death -- dying to the past, for instance -- is something that I think should be practiced to whatever extent is reasonable.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Death is just a perception of the mind. It is merely energy changing form. We go from being physical "in-body" energy forms to being non-physical "out-of-body" energy forms. It is another swing of the pendulum.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Death is, at least for me, a wiping clean of the slate.

I think there are certain things we specifically are here to experience in each life, and death is merely a transition in order to... review, perhaps, and allows another attempt or an "advancement" to the next stage... (in a very simple, round about sort of way)

kai

ragamuffin
death to me means the show is over and the fat lady has sang! its the qualty of the show the cast and the script thats important.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
Death is only meaningful as the end of your existance. I guess that is meaningful. What a shame so many deny themselves the pleasures of the one and only chance they get :|

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Death is necessary for renewal. Physical death might be the end of everything for all I know, but psychological death -- dying to the past, for instance -- is something that I think should be practiced to whatever extent is reasonable.

Yes. I also see physical death in the same light, however, since on a cellular level, we're dying and renewing all the time. ;)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Ga▫oṛī mėhlā 1.
Gauree, First Mehl:

Saṯgur milai so maraṇ ḏikẖā▫e.
Meeting the True Guru, we are shown the way to die.

Maraṇ rahaṇ ras anṯar bẖā▫e.
Remaining alive in this death brings joy deep within.

Garab nivār gagan pur pā▫e. ||1||
Overcoming egotistical pride, the Tenth Gate is found. ||1||

Maraṇ likẖā▫e ā▫e nahī rahṇā.
Death is pre-ordained - no one who comes can remain here.

Har jap jāp rahaṇ har sarṇā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
So chant and meditate on the Lord, and remain in the Sanctuary of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

Saṯgur milai ṯa ḏubiḏẖā bẖāgai.
Meeting the True Guru, duality is dispelled.

Kamal bigās man har parabẖ lāgai.
The heart-lotus blossoms forth, and the mind is attached to the Lord God.

Jīvaṯ marai mahā ras āgai. ||2||
One who remains dead while yet alive obtains the greatest happiness here and hereafter. ||2||

Saṯgur mili▫ai sacẖ sanjam sūcẖā.
Meeting the True Guru, one becomes truthful, chaste and pure.

Gur kī pa▫oṛī ūcẖo ūcẖā.
Climbing up the steps of the Guru's Path, one becomes the highest of the high.

Karam milai jam kā bẖa▫o mūcẖā. ||3||
When the Lord grants His Mercy, the fear of death is conquered. ||3||

Gur mili▫ai mil ank samā▫i▫ā.
Uniting in Guru's Union, we are absorbed in His Loving Embrace.

Kar kirpā gẖar mahal ḏikẖā▫i▫ā.
Granting His Grace, He reveals the Mansion of His Presence, within the home of the self.

Nānak ha▫umai mār milā▫i▫ā. ||4||9||
O Nanak, by death of I, we are absorbed into the Lord. ||4||9||

love

Brahman

Paramatman
Death, we dont die. What is the "I", what is your Self. if its your body, then you died along time ago, but if your "I" has dropped its individuality, it cant die, it would be impossible. Now, you can look at it in a different light. We are dying every moment. each moment is new, we are even physically changing every moment. im not the exact same as i was when i started typing this post, only on the outside though. the external will always change and die. but the Self, the Soul, the internal part of you, which is Consciousness is limitless and never changing. Yet we seem to deny this and this causes suffering. The Internal part of you, if has not found the Self, is impermenant and is always changing. each moment is changes, it fluctuates, and battles suffering. But if, internally, you have indentified yourself as a limitless being of pure consciousness, then you will never die and suffering will cease.

Deaths purpose is not to say, its the end. its to give you a new beginning. by the ways if you have not found the Self, your already classified, in my book, as a dead/unconscious being. You begin to live as the moment of enlightenment.

some things i have said may appear contradictory, but just analyze what ive said and think about it, then it will become clear.

Thanks!

Andal

resident hypnotist
This question reminds me somewhat of Krishna's advice to Arjuna on the battlefield of Kurusetra. He said (and I'm paraphrasing) that those who think there something that dies and something to kill are both severely mistaken. Death gives meaning and defines life when we live in the illusion that death is the end of something. When we see through maya we realize that there is no death. We are truly defined by our relationship with divine not by our material transition.

Hari Om!

PS: welcome to the board Brahman :D

though death make's life slightly more meaningfull it also make's life slightly less meaningfull

on one hand it spurs people to actions and on the on the other hand its prevents people from taking action

most of deaths benifits cancel itself out

thats why i think we give ourself meaning not the other way around

rusra02

Premium Member
Death is an enemy of man and will one day no longer exist. The Bible promises this at 1 Corinthians 15:26, Revelation 21:3,4) Death does not make life meaningful, only short and glutted with agitation.(Psalms 90:10). Death is the result of sin, man's rebellion against the true God. (Romans 5:12). Life, everlasting life, is promised to those who serve the true God (Romans 6:23). Those who have died and are in God's memory will come back to life in a resurrection (Acts 24:15). Thereafter, if they submit themselves to their Creator, they can live forever.