• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Da Vinci Code Box Office Results

maggie2

Just read the news that the movie grossed 77million over the weekend. All the negative criticism that came out of Cannes does not seem to have had any effect on the public.

We plan to go see it next weekend. Have you seen it? Did you enjoy it? Why or why not?

Bishka

Veteran Member
My husband and I went to see it on Saturday. Having read the booked and enjoyed that, we were eager to see the movie.

Ron Howard could have done better then he did, but it was allright in it's own little way.

The one line that impressed me the most, that I don't believe was in the book was something to the effect of:

"Why couldn't Jesus have been divine and married? What's so wrong with that?" -Robert Langdon (played by Tom Hanks).

I thought this was a very good line and was mainly speaking to those people who think it was so wrong of Jesus Christ to be married. My husband and I both believe He was (not official Church doctrine, just our feelings on the matter) and believe that Jesus Christ was divine.

All in all, I'd give the movie a C, the book was much better.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
maggie2 said:
Just read the news that the movie grossed 77million over the weekend. All the negative criticism that came out of Cannes does not seem to have had any effect on the public.

We plan to go see it next weekend. Have you seen it? Did you enjoy it? Why or why not?

The 77 million figure is domestic US revenue. That ranks it about 20 or so for an US opening. However, in the rest of the world, it grossed over 140 million US in addition to the revenue from the US itself. The world wide gross ranks it second only to Star Wars for a world opening.

I noted in one article that I read on it's opening gross that the movie was doing best in countries where there was strong religious opposition to it. Such as in Italy, Spain, and some Latin American countries.

It seems to me that was predictable. It's happened many times before that banning something has advertised it. And though no one banned the De Vinci Code, the opposition sure advertised it. Sony Entertainment could not have itself done better advertising their movie!