• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cursing/Swearing

AlexWylde

Just a fool.
I guess it's pretty well known that God-fearing people aren't supposed to swear. (EXACTLY where this comes from and how it is defined I don't know, so a little help would be appreciated:D.) I figure it just comes down to having good language and not being offensive. But, as a philosophical question... what defines a curse word? WHO defines a curse word? Is there a list that includes all cursings? And what about ALL the languages in the world? Is there an International Swearing and Cursing Confederation that determines these things?

I assume the answer to that last question is no. IMO, anything that we call a "swear word" in our language, is simply something that has become taboo. We define words as we want them to be, and language evolves and changes from generation to generation. A word is just an utterance of sound that is assigned meaning and symbol. Therefore, I really think there are no words that are strictly evil. We may perceive them to be bad, but that is nothing more than how we choose to define them. I don't think there is any word that God necessarily condemns the use of as a universal law. Since WE define our words, it is solely up to US to determine which words are swear words.

Personally I don't swear (very much), because out of all the words in the English language, I can usually come up with a better, more descriptive one.

"That was f***ing brilliant!!!" ----->

-----> "Wow, that radically changed the way I look at things."

Anyways. Just looking for some of your thoughts on the subject. Maybe how you think swearing and God fit together.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I'm not too sure about those 4 letters curses. I think that the reason why many Christians do not use the phrase, "Oh my G-d!" or something with "Jesus Christ" in it is because in a way it profanes the name of God. That is, it makes it common so that it loses its reverence.

The Bible teach to have control of our tongue and not to have unwholesome words come from our mouths. To me, it doesn't seem appropriate that the same mouth we cuss with and berate others is the same mouth that we offer our worship to God.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why is "poop" an innocent and acceptable term when **** is considered obscene and unacceptable even though both words mean the exact same thing? Where is the logic in that?

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Why is "poop" an innocent and acceptable term when **** is considered obscene and unacceptable even though both words mean the exact same thing? Where is the logic in that?

Probably because of the feelings that are invoked when you say **** instead of poop. If I had a 5 year old, I'd probably be a little more alarmed if he told me he had to **** instead of poop.

.lava

Veteran Member
internal organs vibrate with the sound of your voice. better not to swear or curse.

AlexWylde

Just a fool.
Probably because of the feelings that are invoked when you say **** instead of poop. If I had a 5 year old, I'd probably be a little more alarmed if he told me he had to **** instead of poop.

But why? What is so inherently bad about that word? What makes it any different? WHY would it be alarming, and how did you end up thinking like that?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

But those feelings are only invoked because we've been culturally ingrained.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
But those feelings are only invoked because we've been culturally ingrained.

I agree. Regardless, society still considers these words "dirty" and for that reason alone is why I choose not to swear. From a young age my parents just thought it better that I not swear and I've learned to communicate without needing to do so. I don't condemn anybody for doing it but it's one way I like to set myself apart from the mainstream. I can think of many good reasons not to swear and none where swearing would be beneficial. Without even mentioning my faith at work a few of my friends assumed I was a Christian just because they've never heard the common 4 letter words come out of my mouth. Doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world to be remembered by. Anyway, I'm probably getting off track but hopefully I made my point.

Scott C.

Just one guy
I guess it's pretty well known that God-fearing people aren't supposed to swear. (EXACTLY where this comes from and how it is defined I don't know, so a little help would be appreciated:D.) I figure it just comes down to having good language and not being offensive. But, as a philosophical question... what defines a curse word? WHO defines a curse word? Is there a list that includes all cursings? And what about ALL the languages in the world? Is there an International Swearing and Cursing Confederation that determines these things?

I assume the answer to that last question is no. IMO, anything that we call a "swear word" in our language, is simply something that has become taboo. We define words as we want them to be, and language evolves and changes from generation to generation. A word is just an utterance of sound that is assigned meaning and symbol. Therefore, I really think there are no words that are strictly evil. We may perceive them to be bad, but that is nothing more than how we choose to define them. I don't think there is any word that God necessarily condemns the use of as a universal law. Since WE define our words, it is solely up to US to determine which words are swear words.

Personally I don't swear (very much), because out of all the words in the English language, I can usually come up with a better, more descriptive one.

"That was f***ing brilliant!!!" ----->

-----> "Wow, that radically changed the way I look at things."

Anyways. Just looking for some of your thoughts on the subject. Maybe how you think swearing and God fit together.

From my Christian perspective on language, I would lay it out like this:

- Names, titles, or other references to God are sacred and should be used with care. The more one thinks reverently and thankfully about God, the less likely he/she is to use his name in vain, in anger, or as casual slang.

- Sexuality is beautiful and from God. Swear words that denote something sexual are degrading to the beauty of sex and tend to lower our thinking and culture into the gutter.

- Some swear words neither use the Lord's name or denote sexuality. I consider these to generally be the lesser evils, but I still try no to use these words either. I believe God wants us to use language that uplifts. There's no question that culture is involved in what is considered a swear word. There is no inherent difference between the word poop and the s word for the same thing. Our culture and the development of language says that one is crude and the other is not. Over time words can change their meaning and intent. If 100 years from now the s word has the same feeling and connotation as poop, then I'd use it then like I use the word poop now.

Last edited:

AlexWylde

Just a fool.
FYI. I didn't ask about taking the Lord's name in vain. I'm talking specifically about "bad words". It's pretty clear that we aren't supposed to do take God's name in vain--it's one of the ten commandments for heck's sake! How stupid do you people think I am?

Scott C.

Just one guy
FYI. I didn't ask about taking the Lord's name in vain. I'm talking specifically about "bad words". It's pretty clear that we aren't supposed to do take God's name in vain--it's one of the ten commandments for heck's sake! How stupid do you people think I am?

:confused:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I don't really think it makes a lot of difference since a lot of the words can mean the same thing.....I think some words just create a negative reaction....Maybe just not "politically correct" :eek:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Saying curse or swear words is different than cussing. Words like d**n, h**l, and so on would be curse words that were used in the past to try and condemn someone.

Cuss words have no real meaning whatsoever. Words like f**k or s**t are among those words that don't seem to have a true meaning anywhere. Hearing them does not shock me or insult me at all. (I don't use them since I don't want to offend someone.) If you ask me, if no one was ever offended by the use of those words, then they would become commonplace.

One last thought- what makes f**k a worse word than frig? Or what makes darn a better word than d**n? Or any other replacement words. They meaning would be the same. :)

Ronald

I agree. Regardless, society still considers these words "dirty" and for that reason alone is why I choose not to swear. From a young age my parents just thought it better that I not swear and I've learned to communicate without needing to do so. I don't condemn anybody for doing it but it's one way I like to set myself apart from the mainstream. I can think of many good reasons not to swear and none where swearing would be beneficial. Without even mentioning my faith at work a few of my friends assumed I was a Christian just because they've never heard the common 4 letter words come out of my mouth. Doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world to be remembered by. Anyway, I'm probably getting off track but hopefully I made my point.
I think you did make your point.
I'll add that I grew up in the era of 'square' was the best there was, a square deal, a square meal, square was good until inmates a a penal institute began to demonize the word, it switched meanings and now is bad to 'be square' like in the Cub Scout Promise.
Then you can look up a word that is used for God, divine, but in the Torah a diviner was almost like satan.
I feel squimish about using any of those words 'good', 'bad' or indiferent. You never know who you are about to offend. So I try whenever possible to find a word that is less offensive.
Good post Ringer.