• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crown Heights, Brooklyn

Viker

Häxan
It looks like that the tunnels may have been a violation of building codes. NYC has some fairly stringent codes and zoning laws. But without more context, I dunno exactly what the heck.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In a synagogue?
Well for this case it's probably best that it's explained to you about the synagogue tunnel system in Brooklyn and elsewhere as in the vid.

This was from a year ago actually and tunnels are no secret.

Ebionite

Screenshot from 2024-01-12 13-54-41.png

From Kingston Ave looking at #304. The grille is broken when the guy climbs up in the Telegraph video.

Last edited:

Ebionite

Well for this case it's probably best that it's explained to you about the synagogue tunnel system in Brooklyn and elsewhere as in the vid.

This was from a year ago actually and tunnels are no secret.
The video about the tunnel under the Russian synagogue was from a year ago?

Twilight Hue

The video about the tunnel under the Russian synagogue was from a year ago?
Well more accurately the video itself was posted a year ago. You can see the time stamp confirming that.

It was just to point out why there are tunnel systems in various synagogues such as the one in Moscow in the video which was a means to escape in times of danger.

Twilight Hue

Looks like I'm even wrong on this after investigating a little further watching the news reports and it seems there's a whole different reason about this particular tunnel, and the whole story is actually become quite bizarre

Here's the news report I was looking at..

Ebionite

Well more accurately the video itself was posted a year ago. You can see the time stamp confirming that.
OK, there was a video about the Brooklyn tunnel where the guy said that it was so that they could access the synagogue during the covid restrictions.

Twilight Hue

OK, there was a video about the Brooklyn tunnel where the guy said that it was so that they could access the synagogue during the covid restrictions.
I posted an ABC News Report that I was watching and the whole thing is actually a lot more bizarre than I originally thought.

The ABC News Report had the best explanation imv. Just scroll up a bit to post 10 and watch it , and I think you'll agree.

Ebionite

I posted an ABC News Report that I was watching and the whole thing is actually a lot more bizarre than I originally thought.

The ABC News Report had the best explanation imv. Just scroll up a bit to post 10 and watch it , and I think you'll agree.
The tunnel from the Chabad Lubivitch HQ has an egress point at 304 Kingston Ave. 394 Kingston is the location of Mikvah Meir, which was the site of an alleged offence involving Chabad Lubivitch.

Screenshot from 2024-01-12 14-47-41.png

Link

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Looks like I'm even wrong on this after investigating a little further watching the news reports and it seems there's a whole different reason about this particular tunnel, and the whole story is actually become quite bizarre

Here's the news report I was looking at..

It does seem rather strange.

I sometimes wonder how many secret tunnels there are in a place like NY.

Ebionite

I'm sure there's a vibrant underground going on.
I'm sure that the Qanon crowd wouldn't describe it as vibrant (not that I have a lot of confidence in their P.O.V.). In the Telegraph video of the tunnel there was that one item that definitely didn't belong there, though.

Ebionite

At dawn or early in the morning before Yom Kippur, take a live chicken, fish or money which will then be given to charity and recite the following three times. Recite the first paragraph, pass it over your head three times and then recite the paragraph again, etc.

Children of man who sit in darkness and the shadow of death, bound in misery and chains of iron --- He will bring them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and will sunder their bonds. Foolish sinners, afflicted because of their sinful ways and their wrongdoings; their soul loathes all food and they reach the gates of death --- they cry out to the Lord in their distress; He saves them from their afflictions. He sends forth His word and heals them; He delivers them from their graves. Let them thank the Lord for His kindness, and [proclaim] His wonders to the children of man. If there be for a man [even] one interceding angel out of a thousand [accusers], to speak of his uprightness in his behalf, then He will be gracious to him and say: Redeem him from going down to the grave; I have found expiation [for him].

When reciting the first twelve words below, pass the chicken, fish or money over your head three times.

This is my exchange, this is my substitute, this is my expiation. This chicken shall go to death and I shall proceed to a good, long life and peace.

Between the first “delivery night” of birds to Kaporos sites and Thursday the 21st, the Official Rescue Team rescued well over 200 survivors and aided activists in the surrender of over a dozen more. Our carers oversaw the largest number of complex injuries that we have ever experienced: 13 compound wing fractures, three broken legs, a broken beak, six chickens with “splay legs,” two deep wounds requiring stitches, multiple toes broken requiring minor interventions and respiratory illnesses and other injuries that were handled 100% internally by our qualified team of carers.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
What's really going on here?

What was "really going on" is now pretty much stopped as of last week, when Chabad officials called in the police and the NYC Department of Buildings filled in the tunnels with concrete. The tunnels had been dug by a minority of self-entitled, fanatical students from Israel (attending a yeshiva in the city of Safed) who felt unwelcome at the famous 770 Brooklyn synagogue due to their disruptive, extremist meshichistism (belief that the Rebbe, of blessed memory, is the Moshiach/Messiah and will rise from the dead -- if he hasn't already risen). And so these students took it upon themselves to "expand" the building in order to accommodate themselves.

They had been working on their tunnels during the Covid epidemic by means of a basement that housed an old mikveh that hadn't been in use since the Rebbe died. When Chabad officials decided earlier this year to put a stop to it, and the students saw concrete trucks arriving, they went berserk and began tearing out the wooden paneling in the old synagogue.

While the Rebbe was a likely candidate as Moshiach during his lifetime, when he suffered a stroke in 1992 and then died two years later, that put an end to it. The Rebbe's spirit lives on as he is respectfully remembered as Chabad's last spiritual leader, but his physical body remains in the grave, affirming the fact that he was not Moshiach.

Unfortunately, the vandalism has sparked the usual antisemitic conspiracy theories one would expect, accusing Jews of having dug the tunnels in order to conduct secret, profane rituals and engage in illegal activities.

The following is an official statement released a couple weeks ago by Rabbi Yehuda Krinsky, Chairman for Chabad-Lubavitch Headquarters (quoted text is in blue):

The Chabad-Lubavitch community is pained by the vandalism of a group of young agitators who damaged the synagogue below Chabad Headquarters at 770 Eastern Parkway Monday night.

These odious actions will be investigated, and the sanctity of the synagogue will be restored. Our thanks to the NYPD for their professionalism and sensitivity.

We are grateful for the outpouring of concern, and for the support of our Chabad-Lubavitch institutions around the world.

Last edited: