• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creation - What do you say?

Mystic-als

Creation is said to have taken place in six days. After seeing the diversity in this Abrahamic thread I was wondering what does your belief say happened and how long did it take about.

I would really like to see the answers to this.
For Christians it is said to have happened at God's word and in six days. The only thing not spoken into existance was woman. God himself formed her from Adam's rib.

Francine

Creation is said to have taken place in six days. After seeing the diversity in this Abrahamic thread I was wondering what does your belief say happened and how long did it take about.

My belief required more time than six days, because God needed to cook the trans-helium elements in some supernovas first before he could make a metal-rich Population-1 star like our sun.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
My own personal opinion......:D

I think He passed gas and out came the milky way unbeknownst to Him. From there He probably just started playing with it and got creative. he he

I am totally just kidding.

I think he flicked something with his index finger and caused the Big Bang, on purpose though;)

*Of course I have no way of backing up either of these claims/ ideas, so don't even bother askin! lol.*

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I think the Earth too several billion years to come into being. The days merely refer to periods of time inwhich certain events occured. One day may have been one millions yeras, another one billion, and another one thousand.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I think the Earth too several billion years to come into being. The days merely refer to periods of time inwhich certain events occured. One day may have been one millions yeras, another one billion, and another one thousand.

Yes! You know I have thought about that a lot. When I went to seminary I remember the teacher talking about how the passage of time is supposed to be different once you pass through the veil. One day for us, for our loved one that has passed it might be a single second. So with that in mind you can look at the timeline for the creation of the Earth in Genesis and it makes sense. Six days from Gods perspective could translate into 6 billion years from a material/human perspective. I thought that was a very interesting/ profound idea in that particular translation of Creation. I don't know where the idea for the difference in the perception of time came from though. I don't remember.

lunamoth

Will to love
I think the Creation story is wholly myth written well after there was an established nation of Israel. The story is about the relationship between God and Israel, and Israel's view of it's place in the cosmos.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I think the Creation story is wholly myth written well after there was an established nation of Israel. The story is about the relationship between God and Israel, and Israel's view of it's place in the cosmos.

I take the creation story fairly literaly. This is because the other scriptures I use coroborate the story. But I think there are many symbolic things in the story as well. But determining which is which is merely my personal interpretation.

Popeyesays

My belief required more time than six days, because God needed to cook the trans-helium elements in some supernovas first before he could make a metal-rich Population-1 star like our sun.

Sol is a Population II star. Population I stars only cook up to iron and iron kills those stars as it accumulates causing the supernovae which transmute elements to create everything heavier than iron.

Regards,

Scott

divinelight

divinelight
here os what i am pondering.
What if there never was creation? Maybe mass and space has always existed. There has always been a way, always been a tao

I would really like to see the answers to this.
For Christians it is said to have happened at God's word and in six days. The only thing not spoken into existance was woman. God himself formed her from Adam's rib.

I prefer to take a literal standpoint in most cases where biblical interpretations are disputed. Some say that the 6 days are symbolic of six ages, but I really don’t think so. The Genesis account is accepted to have been written by Moses - though we don’t know for certain. Clearly Moses did not witness the events themselves, so they must have been revealed to him in one way or another. As far as the time-line is concerned, for him to embellish by substituting literal days for actual eras is unrealistic IMO.

Francine

Sol is a Population II star. Population I stars only cook up to iron and iron kills those stars as it accumulates causing the supernovae which transmute elements to create everything heavier than iron.

On the contrary, it is written (Sol article in Wikipedia), "The Sun is a Population I, or third generation, star whose formation may have been triggered by shockwaves from one or more nearby supernovae."

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
here os what i am pondering.
What if there never was creation? Maybe mass and space has always existed. There has always been a way, always been a tao
According to LDS (i.e. Mormon) doctrine, the universe was not created ex nihilo, i.e. from nothing, but out of the matter that was co-eternal with God. I don't know anything about tao, so perhaps you can tell me if that is similar to your belief.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
As far as the time-line is concerned, for him to embellish by substituting literal days for actual eras is unrealistic IMO.
One would assume that Moses was being told what to write, at least for the parts he did not himself witness.
Or perhaps he is merely putting to paper the stories as orally being told him?

Either way, seems to me that he would be using the time period (be it hours, days, years, etc.) as he was hearing.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I prefer to take a literal standpoint in most cases where biblical interpretations are disputed. Some say that the 6 days are symbolic of six ages, but I really don’t think so. The Genesis account is accepted to have been written by Moses - though we don’t know for certain. Clearly Moses did not witness the events themselves, so they must have been revealed to him in one way or another. As far as the time-line is concerned, for him to embellish by substituting literal days for actual eras is unrealistic IMO.
The Latter-day Saints actually have a more literal understanding of most biblical events than many Christians do, so I can appreciate your perspective. On the other hand, the author of Genesis (regardless of who it may have been) was not a man of science, but a man of faith. God spoke to him in a way that he would have been able to understand and in a language that he would be able to communicate with other people of his time. Here's how I heard it explained once:

"I don't understand why it is so difficult for some people to believe that God is the greatest scientist in the universe, but that he could not explain some of his high tech processes to people who thought a fig leaf was high tech. Even if He had been able to show [his ancient prophets] the whole truth, how could [they] write that down in terms that the rest of the world would understand without a few thousand years of education?

How do you explain to your children how a gasoline engine works or where rain comes from? Is it possible that you answer this never-ending flow of curiousity with 'not quite accurate answers' whichare in terms your children will understand. When God [said] that [Adam] was created from the dust in one day, is it not possible that this answer was his 'not totally accurate explanation' in terms that [people] could understand? How would you explain genetics and millenniums to a man whose first and greatest creation was disposable underwear harvested from the same tree his food was harvested from"?

Francine

One would assume that Moses was being told what to write, at least for the parts he did not himself witness.

Perhaps Moses had the same sight reaching back in time that Ezekiel had reaching forward in time.

Either way, seems to me that he would be using the time period (be it hours, days, years, etc.) as he was hearing.

Well… If you add and subtract ages in Genesis you will find that Noah as born before Adam Died. You will also find that Abraham was born 2 generations after Noah died. It may not be too farfetched to believe that Abraham heard the story of the creation from someone who had heard it directly from Noah who had heard it directly from Adam. From there it became tradition until Moses wrote it down. On the other hand, there is a lot of complex information recorded in Genesis.

But I agree with Kat. There is that possibility that days and dust are symbolic. I just don’t like taking license with the word of God.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Genesis account is accepted to have been written by Moses - though we don’t know for certain.
Or, more correctly, the Genesis account is accepted to have been written by Moses by those folks who believe that the Genesis account was written by Moses. Thanks for sharing ...