• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creating a Department of Peace

maggie2

If you are one of the many people who feel frustrated about the world situation as far as the war in Iraq and other such events are concerned and you feel like there's nothing you can do to bring about positive change, please read on.

For some time now I've been feeling that history has shown us to be not very bright humans as far as war and peace are concerned. Let me explain. For hundreds of years we've been trying to solve spiritual conflicts first by diplomacy. We try to negotiate and come to some resolution. If that doesn't work then we think we'll try economic means by way of sanctions. When that doesn't work we resort to military measures. None of these means of trying to resolve conflict has had any lasting positive results.
They say that a sign of stupitidy is when you keep doing the same things over and over and expecting to get different results. Well, that seems to be what we've been doing as far as war and peace are concerned.

Today I read about a fairly new idea that people in several countries are working to institute and I think it could make a huge difference. There are groups in the USA, Canada, England, Japan, Italy, and several other countries that are now working to establish a federal 'Department of Peace' in their governments.

What a novel idea! A department of the government charged with the job of creating peace!!! Holy cow! Now that just might do some real positive good.

Anyway, I urge any of you who want to see lasting peace and are willing to stand up for that to contact the people in your country who are involved in this venture and get involved. I know I'm going to contact the group here in Canada first thing tomorrow and I will be getting involved.

I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea. I truly believe that what we focus on is what we help create and I want to create peace. I remember hearing that when Mother Theresa was asked to join an anti-war protest she said no. However, she also said that if these same people were organizing a peace rally she'd be more than happy to attend that.

Please consider getting involved with this movement. We all CAN make a difference if enough of us lift our voices in peaceful ways on this issue. I was at an event last night and someone told us a story about something that happened in Czechoslovakia during the time when it was under Communist rule. There was a guy went out on the street corners and just started to talk with people about how they could reclaim their country. He didn't have any weapons, all he had was his voice. He continued to talk with ordinary people and soon there was a group of over 50,000 people who supported him. And guess what? This guy was a 12 year old boy! He made a huge difference in that country and he was only 12. Just think what we could do if we make an effort.
If you want to know more about this group, you can go to http://www.thepeacealliance.org

Sorry for the long post but I think this is hugely important.