• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coveting

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
so you made a choice about being homosexual/straight, you made a choice about abortion, you made a choice of being christian vs whatever.

is it a sin to covet your neighbors choice? or for that matter is it a sin not to allow your neighbor to do unto others as they have allowed you to do without interference?

or is it OK to play the hypocrite?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
so you made a choice about being homosexual/straight, you made a choice about abortion, you made a choice of being christian vs whatever.

is it a sin to covet your neighbors choice? or for that matter is it a sin not to allow your neighbor to do unto others as they have allowed you to do without interference?

Can you rephrase the two questions?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is that right? And here was me thinking sexual preference is biologically determined.
there is no scientific proof one way or the other; especially since love is fluid, the river of life some call it.

but even if it is determined there are those who choose to go against their natures, should they not have the choice to do so and being the queen/king of their own kingdom?

isnt that what jesus was implying about thieves in the night. belief is a very powerful thing to the believer who wields it. east is east and west is west and never shall the twain meet because west goes before east and comes after east and east goes before west and comes after west.

they are never in the same place at the same time because of a state of mind. neither can exist without the other because they are the same

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
does self recognize the boundary line between i have a choice, they have a choice?

proverbs 22:28
proverbs 23:10

Does a personal know the difference between their own choices and someone else's choices? and whether its a sin to want to change other people's choices?

pearl

you're welcome to choose the folly of proving it with scientific data

No need, answer the question for yourself. Do you remember when it was or at what age that you 'chose' to 'be' either? Did you consider the options of both before making your decision?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No need, answer the question for yourself. Do you remember when it was or at what age that you 'chose' to 'be' either? Did you consider the options of both before making your decision?
it isn't a black and white issue given the fact that some are bisexual. again love is more fluid than a mind sometimes realizes; especially if self is open minded.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Does a personal know the difference between their own choices and someone else's choices? and whether its a sin to want to change other people's choices?
we're called to love without prejudice and not to live our lives vicariously through another. it's their life and at a point they have to be responsible for it.

we get to choose our path. they should be allowed the same with love

pearl

it isn't a black and white issue given the fact that some are bisexual. again love is more fluid than a mind sometimes realizes; especially if self is open minded.

True. My only point is that whether homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual, the only choice is to act or not, on what was not a choice.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
we're called to love without prejudice and not to live our lives vicariously through another. it's their life and at a point they have to be responsible for it

Love also comes with understanding and acceptance of what other people say about themselves and who they are. If someone says they are straight and they are attracted to the opposite sex and you think they are straight because they have opposite-sex sex there is a huge problem. You just aligned that straight person with what he or she does not who he or she is.

That's tolerance not love. Love understands the straight person and accepts who they say they are regardless who they have sex with-guy, female, so have you. Who that person is as a straight person is more important than what someone chooses to do. We can have tolerance for what people do (straight or otherwise) but it's best to love straight people for who they are not what you "think" they do.

Sex here is irrelevant to the point. But I agree, love is letting people make their own choice. Sexual orientation isn't a good example of this though. You have to understand it first before using it as an example.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I would say, worrying about your neighbor's choices is missing the mark.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
there is no scientific proof one way or the other; especially since love is fluid, the river of life some call it.

but even if it is determined there are those who choose to go against their natures, should they not have the choice to do so and being the queen/king of their own kingdom?

isnt that what jesus was implying about thieves in the night. belief is a very powerful thing to the believer who wields it. east is east and west is west and never shall the twain meet because west goes before east and comes after east and east goes before west and comes after west.

they are never in the same place at the same time because of a state of mind. neither can exist without the other because they are the same

Actually there is considerable evidence that homosexuality is biological

Here is some
Stop calling it a choice: Biological factors drive homosexuality

Cross-Cultural Evidence for the Genetics of Homosexuality

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
True. My only point is that whether homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual, the only choice is to act or not, on what was not a choice.
that is like believing people are inherently good or evil, or people are inherently sexual or not, the choice is to act.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Love also comes with understanding and acceptance of what other people say about themselves and who they are. If someone says they are straight and they are attracted to the opposite sex and you think they are straight because they have opposite-sex sex there is a huge problem. You just aligned that straight person with what he or she does not who he or she is.

That's tolerance not love. Love understands the straight person and accepts who they say they are regardless who they have sex with-guy, female, so have you. Who that person is as a straight person is more important than what someone chooses to do. We can have tolerance for what people do (straight or otherwise) but it's best to love straight people for who they are not what you "think" they do.

Sex here is irrelevant to the point. But I agree, love is letting people make their own choice. Sexual orientation isn't a good example of this though. You have to understand it first before using it as an example.
loving someone for who they are and want to be and not what you want them to be is the ideal.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
loving someone for who they are and want to be and not what you want them to be is the ideal.

I find that many christians who say they love gay people are mixing love with tolerance and sympathy. You can love someone when you accept who they are. But your love becomes hypocritical when you only love the perception of what you want them to be or have empathy for them because you think they are missing something you feel they should have or be.

Many christians may love their homosexuals friend and family members, but I personally believe they love who they want them to be and how christians define them, not who that homosexual say they are and how the latter defines themselves.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The mind is part of the body or did you forget that?

And you want me to take the outdated christian view (which i consider hatred) rather than that of modern scientific research, psychological research, psychiatric research, not going to happen.