• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could an atheist make a good pastor?

Jeremiah Ames

*** mod warning ***
Contains language not appropriate for work

This appeared on my ‘recommended’ list on YouTube. I know, scary, right?

So I come to find out he’s an atheist.

Well, anyway I started to watch it. And ended up watching it all.

And really really really liked it. This man knows what he’s talking about. If Christian churches would give their pastors the day off some Sunday and just show this, people might start getting the right idea how to live their lives. And that could maybe lead to a little bit better world. Just my opinion.

Let me know what you think of the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

ecco

Veteran Member

You didn't know?!?

ETA: The beginning of the video was great. Yes, he could make several fortunes becoming a holy roller preacher. The rest of it was OK but he dragged things out so much I got bored halfway in.

Jeremiah Ames

You didn't know?!?

ETA: The beginning of the video was great. Yes, he could make several fortunes becoming a holy roller preacher. The rest of it was OK but he dragged things out so much I got bored halfway in.
It could have been shorter.
He even made a comment to that effect when he was holding up 9 fingers. But it was his message that resonated with me. Also, he did make it a joke about preaching and getting rich.
But I was serious with my comment.
He did say that he would have to throw away his morality in order to become a preacher. I assume, and hope, that’s another joke. His morality is what makes him good.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The answer is no, not in any way shape or form.

A lot of todays pastors are also in that category.

Key ingredients are Love and Dedication to God, service to all of humanity and lack of worldly desire.

Regards Tony

Jeremiah Ames

The answer is no, not in any way shape or form.

Key ingredients are Love and Dedication to God, service to all of humanity and lack of worldly desire.

Regards Tony
Exactly.
Did you not see those ingredients in his message?

Obviously he has ‘worldly desire’. I see nothing wrong with people taking care of their worldly needs so that they are more capable of taking care of others. But even that desire was covered in the first part of his message. The real question is: how much of what he says there is truly from the heart, and how much is for humor?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What qualities do make a good pastor? There are no pastors in my faith, so I'm not familiar with the concept, and am curious.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Exactly.
Did you not see those ingredients in his message?

Obviously he has ‘worldly desire’. I see nothing wrong with people taking care of their worldly needs so that they are more capable of taking care of others. But even that desire was covered in the first part of his message. The real question is: how much of what he says there is truly from the heart, and how much is for humor?

Being deceptive does not make one a Lover of God.

God becomes every thought and action.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What qualities do make a good pastor? There are no pastors in my faith, so I'm not familiar with the concept, and am curious.

The Bible records this;

Romans 12:9-21 English
Marks of the True Christian

"...9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. 10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; 11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; 12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; 13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. 14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. 15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. 16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend [1] to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. 17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The Bible records this;

Romans 12:9-21 English
Marks of the True Christian

"...9 to the wrath of God, for it is written, U)" style="font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; vertical-align: top;">“Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20 To the contrary, V)" style="font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; vertical-align: top;">“if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

Regards Tony

Sorry, but I got absolutely nothing from this. I'd like to know what qualities people think makes a good pastor. Not interested in quotes.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I am not sure where you live, but around here(midwestern USA) that is not the case.
Some are, of course.
But by and large the local Christians are staunchly supportive of Trump's platform of Greed, Exclusion, and Conflict. He got around 80% of the Evangelical Christian vote.

It would be hard to keep a congregation with the message Mr. Jillette was promoting.
Tom

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sorry, but I got absolutely nothing from this. I'd like to know what qualities people think makes a good pastor. Not interested in quotes.

The passage quotes the qualities, plain and simple.

I reposted as the quote did not print.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am not sure where you live, but around here(midwestern USA) that is not the case.
Some are, of course.
But by and large the local Christians are staunchly supportive of Trump's platform of Greed, Exclusion, and Conflict. He got around 80% of the Evangelical Christian vote.

It would be hard to keep a congregation with the message Mr. Jillette was promoting.
Tom

Yes Tom it is on the news daily here.

Many have chosen a rocky path, even if one thinks wealth can provide a smooth path.

Our oneness needs to drive our thoughts and actions.

Regards Tony

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Why should an atheist want to become a pastor?
;
Because you can make a ton of money, tax exempt.

Jillette is nothing if not a showman. And it doesn't really matter what he truly believes. He just has to say what people want to hear.
"It's all about sincerity. If you can fake that you've got it made!"
Tom

nPeace

Veteran Member

This appeared on my ‘recommended’ list on YouTube. I know, scary, right?

Well, anyway I started to watch it. And ended up watching it all.

And really really really liked it. This man knows what he’s talking about. If Christian churches would give their pastors the day off some Sunday and just show this, people might start getting the right idea how to live their lives. And that could maybe lead to a little bit better world. Just my opinion.

Let me know what you think of the video.
Is Obscene Language allowed and condoned on the forums, or is it the case members are responsible for ensuring their posts are profanity-free.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Because you can make a ton of money, tax exempt.

Jillette is nothing if not a showman. And it doesn't really matter what he truly believes. He just has to say what people want to hear.
"It's all about sincerity. If you can fake that you've got it made!"
Tom
I get the impression some days that a lot of religious or political speakers are just faking it. In debate class, the good orators would win, all despite any actual views. A former colleague of mine was a political speech writer. Over time, he worked for two different parties on opposite sides of the spectrum. When I asked him, he just shrugged ... "I do it for the money."

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member