• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conversion in Zoroastrianism

PalmettoPatriot

Respect all who love God
In Judaism, it is a commandment for Rabbis to allow people to convert to their religion. However, it is their duty to try to dissuade people from trying to convert, so that only the serious will try it. I have heard that it is very hard and almost impossible to convert to Zoroastrianism. Why is this? Does the persecution after the Muslim conquest have anything to do with this or is this an attempt to protect your traditions?

El_Majusi

Loopus: please, inform yourself before talking.
Only one small part of Zoroastrians believe in what you say. These are Parsis: they refuse conversion for complicated reasons. @PalmettoPatriot: conversion to Zoroastrianism is permitted. The rules are, though, a bit difficult because: you must be as old (or older) as 22, and not have had any divorce, death or other difficult event in your life since two years, never have killed or raped.
Some sectarian people will convert everybody but this minority of people, mostly found in America, belong to the sect of that Ali Akbar Jafarey, who is not object of affection within the community.
Another thing to know is that proselytism is STRONGLY FORBIDDEN in Zoroastrianism. It is considered as a sin, and he/she who converts after having been proselytised can consider his/her conversion as false and null.
I hope I've made everything clearer.

El_Majusi

The rules are put, of course, for people to choose righteously their faith, with an awakened mind. A death in the family, or an extreme situation of poverty, for example can incite people to enter in a faith just to get some comfort.
Zoroastrians have thus the obligation to be relieving, friendly, to all people, without wanting them to be Zoroastrians.

El_Majusi

Should I precise that this is for formal conversion, that is, a sudreh pooshi. Zoroastrians in general will consider you a Zoroastrian if you share the beliefs, worship Ahura Mazda, try to respect the motto Good thoughts good words good deeds, respect the priests, and call yourself a Zoroastrian. For example, I am a Zoroastrian, without having made my sudreh pooshi (I'm not ready for it now). But the sudreh and the kusti add things that words or pure faith cannot add to you. It's very special: a material cloth for a spiritual enlightenment.

PalmettoPatriot

Respect all who love God
Hello al Majusi. I am not interested in conversion. I was doing research for a research topic for college. However, these answers are intriguing. I agree with you about the bible and the Avesta having different originators. Other ideological differences are also why I doubt that the ancient Habiru (hebrews) borrows monotheism from Zoroastrians. Other than monotheism and the concept of the polarization between good and evil there really isn't anything in common. I have come to see Zoroastrianism as a good and moral religion, and I am proud and fortunate to have met you on here.

Ya'akov

El_Majusi

I am very fortunate to meet you here too, dear Ya'kov. I never thought you were interested in conversion. Zoroastrianism is, as I have already said, a very strong anti-proselytising religion, that would hardly let you in if you don't have enough arguments and knowledge.
Yes, you're right. Anyway, there's One God, and It is still here. We believe that the God of the Bible and Qur'an is not our Wise Lord, Ahura Mazda, but we still believe that many Jews, Christians and Muslims worship It, because they know It. You understand what I mean? I know the Bible is full of very nice passages, and is not to put to trash. If you ever need other answers, etc. I am here my friend.