• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contradiction?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
- All experience is pure joy

- 93, 93 93/93 (if you don't get this your opinion isn't needed)

Thelema has a central point which is the necessity of finding one's own will. However, if all existence is pure joy the following of one's true will is irrelevant. It would mean that we cannot go wrong, we exist for the sake of Nuit to experience. So, the need to follow someone's true will is just an unneccesary creation. Perhaps the confusion in the abyss is that we SHOULDN'T let the ego go, or rather it's a matter of personal choice?

Thoughts?

Ares

from the Blood tribe
I find joy in the pain of my suffering, knowing weakness and vulnerability are leaving and increasing my focus discipline, and strength. That which doesnt kill you makes you stronger and pain is weakness leaving the body.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
existance is pure joy is a reference to the sexual philosophy of Thelema.

Everything in existance is the child of the sexual union between the female concept of possibility and the male concept of manifestation.
Thus everything - even a legless orphan born to be a begger is the product of Love under Will.

True Happiness for the individual comes from following ones True Will.
If you are unhappy - this indicates you have strayed from your path.

Your path may be painful - but if you are in communication with your HGA you won't experience it as Pain - rather a joyous sensation of being alive.

graalbaum

Triple Sun
existance is pure joy is a reference to the sexual philosophy of Thelema.

Everything in existance is the child of the sexual union between the female concept of possibility and the male concept of manifestation.
Thus everything - even a legless orphan born to be a begger is the product of Love under Will.

True Happiness for the individual comes from following ones True Will.
If you are unhappy - this indicates you have strayed from your path.

Your path may be painful - but if you are in communication with your HGA you won't experience it as Pain - rather a joyous sensation of being alive.

well that would be a LHP solution, indeed, and because Thelema is open to this, this is one of the fundamental problems of Thelema..... true will is of course the nous. everything is mind as Hetmes T tells us.....divine mind though. without true will we would be like birds that mever left the nest.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
well that would be a LHP solution, indeed, and because Thelema is open to this, this is one of the fundamental problems of Thelema..... true will is of course the nous. everything is mind as Hetmes T tells us.....divine mind though. without true will we would be like birds that mever left the nest.

can you explain your point further as I don't quite get your point :) what do you perceive as 'the fundamental problem?'

Premium Member

I also would like you to elaborate on what the "fundamental" problem of Thelema is you speak of.

graalbaum

Triple Sun
can you explain your point further as I don't quite get your point :) what do you perceive as 'the fundamental problem?'

solipsism, thelema allows for it.... but I am not lhp
so Iwould be first to admit that thelemas sability to allow such would be a problem

but then id argue there are fundamental problems with all western paths entrenched in late 19th and 20th cent ideas...... mainly due to ignorance of the creators... add blinds of course and you have a mess. That does not however negate thelema. but them there is garbage in everuthing, but one mans cake of light is another mans pointless spiritual exercise

graalbaum

Triple Sun

solipsism, thelema allows for it.... but I am not lhp
so Iwould be first to admit that thelemas sability to allow such would be a problem

but then id argue there are fundamental problems with all western paths entrenched in late 19th and 20th cent ideas...... mainly due to ignorance of the creators... add blinds of course and you have a mess. That does not however negate thelema. but them there is garbage in everuthing, but one mans cake of light is another mans pointless spiritual exercise

Premium Member
Thelema certainly does not allow for solipsism, and inherently the LHP has no connection to solipsism.

Premium Member
from a LHP perspective sure

many would argue no, as there is no self.

my apologies if I have offended anyone

It has nothing to do without perspective, all people and likely all life is inherently selfish. Selflessness would lead to death, the concept is mythical. Just because "many disagree" does not mean anything, it's not subjective.

Premium Member
No, from a psychological perspective. Ideas such as ego death and selflessness are absurd. For example, a selfless person will die within a week due to dehydration, as drinking water require self care. Everything anyone ever does is for selfish reasons. The problem is people see selfishness as bad when it needs to be viewed in degrees.

Ayn Rand has nothing to do with it, I couldn't even tell you what her philosophy was called at this point, though I know she believed in objectivity and not solipsism.

Adept

That's interesting, but misled I think. While the All may experience through is, we are equally "separate" entities. Just because all experience is pure joy for the All, we are certainly not the All. The Law is for us, sentient life and the life we are responsible for.