• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Considering transferring schools, but only a year from graduation.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
A couple of years ago I began a Masters of Divinity (MDiv) program. It's a three-year program with a year-long internship in lieu of a thesis. I'm about a year away from graduating, but there had been a lot on my mind.

Long story made super short, I know that I want to graduate with a Masters degree, but I'm not sure if this program was ultimately the right choice. I've learned a lot of things and cherish what I have learned, but considering that I'm not planning on going into ministry, an MDiv seems almost entirely pointless. Granted, I chose the education concentration, but you can teach with a Masters degree in general. It also doesn't help that the loan process here has been a pain in the rear, but that's gonna be at any school one goes to.

There are a couple of Jewish universities whom I've contacted with programs that - I think - better match what I ultimately want to do. There is just the pain of seeing what classes would (and wouldn't) transfer. It also doesn't help that I feel a tad guilty. Considering that - although I have taken out loans with this school - the bulk of my tuition so far has been through a scholarship.

Note: Nothing is set in stone yet. This is more or less me word-and-thought vomiting and considering options. Honestly, it's most likely that I'll pursue another Masters while working, but still. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That sounds good. I think one thing to consider is what you wish to publish in the future and who will be your target audience. When you publish your credentials will matter. For example if you're going to write about CS Lewis, it matters if you've got a divinity degree or not; and it matters where you've gotten it from.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
That sounds good. I think one thing to consider is what you wish to publish in the future and who will be your target audience. When you publish your credentials will matter. For example if you're going to write about CS Lewis, it matters if you've got a divinity degree or not; and it matters where you've gotten it from.

Dunno man, I think content is king. If your present interesting assertions, and back them up with valid supporting evidence then curiosity will be piqued and your alma mater means very little. Merit in our society is always more valuable than paper, so the idea that you need a particular lineage is only going to matter so far as it takes to get a few initial readings from noted scholars... After that your gravitas will introduce you, and the institution is irrelevant. :D

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Dunno man, I think content is king. If your present interesting assertions, and back them up with valid supporting evidence then curiosity will be piqued and your alma mater means very little. Merit in our society is always more valuable than paper, so the idea that you need a particular lineage is only going to matter so far as it takes to get a few initial readings from noted scholars... After that your gravitas will introduce you, and the institution is irrelevant. :D
Yes, content is king for sure. Who you know is also important.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I want to teach at the college or private/charter school level.
I think but am not sure that the private/charter school level would want someone with a teaching credential. Have you checked? College might be different - some want researchers who teach as a secondary activity. It can be tricky.