• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservative Christians more likely to be right wing?

So I'm sure other people have noticed a pattern. I don't know if I would specifically call this a debate. However, I am sure people will have varying opinions.
Now, is it just me, are 99% of conservative Christians politically right wing?

I have noticed that Christians that aren't conservative essentially, and also a lot of other non believers, agnostic, atheist, etc, are more left wing or independent in terms of political leanings.

Any thoughts?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So I'm sure other people have noticed a pattern. I don't know if I would specifically call this a debate. However, I am sure people will have varying opinions.

I have noticed that Christians that aren't conservative essentially, and also a lot of other non believers, agnostic, atheist, etc, are more left wing or independent in terms of political leanings.

Any thoughts?

Without question, there are quite a number of conservative Christians who are also right wing, although 99% seems a bit exaggerated. It might vary from issue to issue, whether economic issues, social issues, or issues relating to foreign relations and military policies.

I have noticed the patterns that you refer to. I think this is the result of how things can often be presented by pollsters and pundits who tend to set the tone and content of the current narrative and define what is "right wing" and "left wing" in their own terms. It seems to create a perception where we have a society of factions which seem like monolithic, one-dimensional parrots all marching in lockstep behind the same agenda and the same set of ideals.

PureX

Veteran Member

Any thoughts?
In the US, "right" and "left" are basically labels for authoritarianism and liberalism. Conservatives used to label people that were mainly interested in maintaining the status quo, usually because the status quo was favoring them, in life. But over the last 40 years or so, just preserving the status quo has morphed into forcing the will of people that see themselves as the status quo on everyone that dares to reject their imagined superiority. Such that the "right" is no longer 'conservative', and is now 'authoritarian'.

Religious Christianity has always had a very authoritarian streak within it. And these religious Christians naturally agree with and gravitate toward the "right" in the US these days because the right has become similarly authoritarian.

The rest of us need to fight this authoritarianism, and win, or these people will subjugate us, as they fully intend to do. But as we do so, we need to remember that religious Christian authoritarianism is not all of religious Christianity, and all religious Christians are not seeking our subjugation and control. And we need to remember this because we need the help and participation of all those Christians that are NOT seeking authoritarianism, ... and there are many of them.

Wandering Monk

In the US, "right" and "left" are basically labels for authoritarianism and liberalism. Conservatives used to label people that were mainly interested in maintaining the status quo, usually because the status quo was favoring them, in life. But over the last 40 years or so, just preserving the status quo has morphed into forcing the will of people that see themselves as the status quo on everyone that dares to reject their imagined superiority. Such that the "right" is no longer 'conservative', and is now 'authoritarian'.

Religious Christianity has always had a very authoritarian streak within it. And these religious Christians naturally agree with and gravitate toward the "right" in the US these days because the right has become similarly authoritarian.

The rest of us need to fight this authoritarianism, and win, or these people will subjugate us, as they fully intend to do. But as we do so, we need to remember that religious Christian authoritarianism is not all of religious Christianity, and all religious Christians are not seeking our subjugation and control. And we need to remember this because we need the help and participation of all those Christians that are NOT seeking authoritarianism, ... and there are many of them.
Another aspect that they are taught from day one: belief without evidence. It is no wonder then that they are so easily manipulated to believe every conspiracy theory that comes along.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It depends.There are several Nationalists in Europe who are atheists. They identify as Conservatives.
And there are several leftists who are Christians. They are called Cattocomunisti in my country. Which means: Catholic-Communists.

That said, it seems obvious to me that a significant number of Conservatives are from a Christian background, especially in the US.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member

Any thoughts?
I'm not sure about the percentage you post, but I would say that a lot of them are both conservative, Christian and politically right wing. What I'm even less certain of is whether conservative and right wing are the same anymore.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Any thoughts?
I would say this to be simply the result of political propaganda and/or the wording is purposefully used.

For an example:

• If I were to say “Christians are 99% conservative” - it would definitely be wrong.
  • If I were to say “99% of liberal Christians are left wing” - the percentage would be wrong but the general statement would be right. It would be better said “they tend to lean left” because they are liberal
  • If I were to say “99% of conservative Christians are right wing” = the percentage would be wrong but the general statement would be right. It would be better said “the tend to lean right” because they are conservative

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure about the percentage you post, but I would say that a lot of them are both conservative, Christian and politically right wing. What I'm even less certain of is whether conservative and right wing are the same anymore.

There are some moderate conservatives who might be considered moderate right wing. That made me think of another thing I've seen lately where some of the more hard-lined and extremist tend to take a rather scolding attitude towards their more moderate counterparts. They get angry with those who might agree with them, but aren't hardcore or radical enough to suit them. Like when the far-right might chide and dismiss moderates as "RINOs" and whatnot.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
There are some moderate conservatives who might be considered moderate right wing. That made me think of another thing I've seen lately where some of the more hard-lined and extremist tend to take a rather scolding attitude towards their more moderate counterparts. They get angry with those who might agree with them, but aren't hardcore or radical enough to suit them. Like when the far-right might chide and dismiss moderates as "RINOs" and whatnot.
That is what immediately came to mind for me too.

If you are not all the way to the right extremes of the right, then you are a lefty it seems.

I'm actually fairly conservative personally, but I don't cast that net over everyone expecting them all to be the same or just wrong. I'm also liberal about some things too. I would definitely be seen as a liberal regardless from the position of the extreme right. Probably a conservative from the extreme left. And Christian.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That is what immediately came to mind for me too.

If you are not all the way to the right extremes of the right, then you are a lefty it seems.

I'm actually fairly conservative personally, but I don't cast that net over everyone expecting them all to be the same or just wrong. I'm also liberal about some things too. I would definitely be seen as a liberal regardless from the position of the extreme right. Probably a conservative from the extreme left. And Christian.

My dad was a moderate Republican Christian, but more in the mold of Eisenhower and the general ideas of patriotism, family values, and other such ideals from so-called "middle America," which Nixon once called the "silent majority," which was later called the "moral majority" during the Reagan years. My mom's background was more liberal, from the West Coast, a big JFK fan and staunchly liberal, although she also started to change and move slightly towards conservative during the Reagan years. She still remained a Democrat, but her views shifted as the party itself shifted to conform to the rightward shift which had already been taking place. Both were quite moderate in their views, for the most part.

I think I tended towards liberalism myself, particularly during the Reagan years. But I really didn't see things in terms of "liberals" and "conservatives" in the strictest sense. I was also able to easily distinguish liberal Christians from conservative Christians, and even among conservative Christians, it's pretty easy to tell which ones are sane and reasonably moderate as opposed to those who are completely out of their gourd. But it's those in the latter category who get all the press and media attention.

PureX

Veteran Member
Another aspect that they are taught from day one: belief without evidence. It is no wonder then that they are so easily manipulated to believe every conspiracy theory that comes along.
"Evidence" is always a red herring in these conversations. Everyone has something they can call 'evidence" and everyone has their own bar for 'proof'. The real issue is that "belief" by definition is the presumption of truth in the absence of actual knowledge. And it is true that far too many religious Christian communities push exactly this kind of dishonest and counter-productive blind presumption of truth (belief) as their highest value, and then they back that up with threats of eternal damnation if one ever dares to doubt them.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Conservative Christians generally are activists about making abortion illegal or at least very rare. Its related to beliefs about the afterlife and the nature of the human soul.

Some are also concerned about gay influence in society.
Any thoughts?
Support for right wing positions is less important than opposing abortion and homosexuality, however many do believe that communism is an attempt to oppose God and that gun ownership and various right wing positions are important. I suspect that some would also want divorce to become much more difficult to achieve, too. The driving force behind conservative participation and collusion with the right wing is primarily concern about abortion and secondly concern about openly sexual culture: not right wing positions outright. There is, however, a general concern that society has been backsliding from a kinder more religious past. This supports a basis of solidarity with right wing voters who would like to return from a welfare based society to smaller government and more libertarian taxation. Returning to a previously better system is the connection between conservative Christians and right wing policy lovers.

"One nation under God​
With morals out of proportion​
An end result is murder​
Under legalized abortion" --- from the 1990 song Children Can Live by DC Talk​
"We eliminated God from the equation of American life​
Thus eliminating the reason this nation first began​
From beyond the grave I hear the voices of our founding fathers plead​
You need God in America again" -- from the 1993 song America Again by Carman​

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Any thoughts?
Did you know that 72% of all statistics in forums are made up out of whole cloth?

There are plenty of left wing Christians, for whom social justice is part of their religious orientation, providing for the widow and orphan in their distress, so to speak. We just don't hear a lot about them because they do not presumptuously claim that a Christian MUST be liberal. Right wing Christians just have much bigger mouths. If you go to a religiously conservative Baptist church in an African neighborhood, I can guarantee you that it is not going to be dominantly politically conservative.