• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conscience: Simple, Powerful, Infallible

joe1776

No, I didn't know the answer immediately.
In the future, when I post a hypothetical question, I will add this instruction:

My hypothetical question was created to make a specific point. You don't have to respond to this question, but if you do, don't add to the facts or change the facts given because that amounts to changing the subject.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
In the future, when I post a hypothetical question, I will add this instruction:

My hypothetical question was created to make a specific point. You don't have to respond to this question, but if you do, don't add to the facts or change the facts given because that amounts to changing the subject.
And in the future, I will probably ignore your efforts to limit the discussion to ideas that support your opinions. Because this is a discussion forum and so you don't get to do that.

Sorry Harry.
Tom

joe1776

And in the future, I will probably ignore your efforts to limit the discussion to ideas that support your opinions. Because this is a discussion forum and so you don't get to do that.
Really? How would my limiting the discussion to the point I want to make, limit the discussion on the points you, or anybody else, want to make?

When you make a point, don't you expect that, when people reply, they will stay on point?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Really? How would my limiting the discussion to the point I want to make, limit the discussion on the points you, or anybody else, want to make?

When you make a point, don't you expect that, when people reply, they will stay on point?
What I see you attempting to do here is dodging opinions that contradict your opinions. You do that by complaining that the opinions aren't on your point, or subject. So you dismiss and ignore them.

If C) were correct, would you still think the teacher unfair? Why?
Tom

joe1776

What I see you attempting to do here is dodging opinions that contradict your opinions. You do that by complaining that the opinions aren't on your point, or subject. So you dismiss and ignore them.

If C) were correct, would you still think the teacher unfair? Why?
Tom
Tom, the reason for my hypothetical was to demonstrate to the poster that intuitive judgments are made immediately and are almost always difficult to explain. This shows that they are not like judgments of reason which are easily explained.

I could have used your facts for the same purpose, but if the reader adds to or changes your facts, he has effectively changed the subject and ducked the question.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Tom, the reason for my hypothetical was to demonstrate to the poster that intuitive judgments are made immediately and are almost always difficult to explain.
And the reason I put up my hypotheticals was to demonstrate that conscience( as a moral guide) is chaotically complex, demonstrably weak, and extremely fallible.

Reason works far better than feelings.
Tom

joe1776

And the reason I put up my hypotheticals was to demonstrate that conscience( as a moral guide) is chaotically complex, demonstrably weak, and extremely fallible.

Reason works far better than feelings.
Tom
All knowledge begins with an observation of the senses. Since our ancestors couldn't see, hear, taste or smell it, they must have felt that it was wrong when one member of the tribe murdered another. In other words, if it wasn't for conscience, we would know nothing about morality.

Having learned from conscience, some man, very proud of his ability to reason wrote a law You should not killI which is useless if interpreted as a general rule and a bias in cases of justifiable killings.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Since our ancestors couldn't see, hear, taste or smell it, they must have felt that it was wrong when one member of the tribe murdered another.
This well illustrates why I don't believe that conscience is much of a guide.
For most of human history, our conscience didn't extend beyond our tribe. Killing other humans to acquire their stuff(like women) or protect territory wasn't a moral issue. It was taken for granted as a part of the human situation.
Now, our knowledge and reason show that we are all part of a gigantic web of existence. Our intuition doesn't do that, usually. All too often we still behave like the apes that were our forebears.
Our consciences bite when it comes to moral guidance.
Tom

joe1776

Our consciences bite when it comes to moral guidance.
Tom
Conscience is an internal moral guide. How did you reach the conclusion that the guide is to blame for our moral failings when we can choose to follow it or not? I'd like to hear your reasoning.