• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conference to address gays and the future of anglicanism

Pah

Uber all member
Conference to address gays and the future of anglicanism -14/10/05

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/news_syndication/article_051014conference.shtml

Contributors to a 'cogent' new book on homosexuality in the Anglican church are to lead a conference next month which looks at the place of gay and lesbian people in the Church.

The Archbishop of Wales was amongst those who welcomed the new publication which includes contributions by 22 leading theologians, and argues for gay people’s inclusion within the Anglican ministry.

Gays and the Furure of Anglicanism: Responses to the Windsor Report (Ed. Andrew Linzey and Richard Kirker, O Books, ISBN 1 905047 38 X ) challenges the moratorium on gay consecrations and same-sex blessings in the Anglican Communion.

The book contains 22 chapters by major theologians from the UK and the US. Eight of the contributors are theologians from Oxford: Marilyn McCord Adams, Philip Kennedy, Christopher Lewis, George Pattison, Martyn Percy, Vincent Strudwick, Keith Ward and Andrew Linzey. Regius Professor of Divinity at Oxford.

The conference takes place in London on 12th November and is hosted by the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement (LGCM).

It is open to all and is being co-sponsored by amongst others religious thinktank Ekklesia.

Specifically the conference will address a wide range of issues affecting all who are working to create an inclusive Church.

Drawing on the expertise of the contributors issues which will be addressed include:

Are Gays Welcome in The Anglican Communion?
The Nature of Communion
Are Gays Pawns in A Power Struggle?
Issues of Authority
Civil Partnerships: What's the problem?
The Value of Diversity
Is Homophobia Endemic in Anglicanism?
Justice for Gays​

Ormiston

Seems like a positive step for religion. At least they seem to be approaching the subject from a reasonable angle instead of a biased one.

robtex

Veteran Member
oopps sorry I just saw where this thread was. (erases prior comments) I am leaving now.....:eek:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I can't quite work out if this is an official Anglican conference or a splinter group.
I hope it has official backing, as any final memorandum wouldhave more authority.

Terry____________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
I really do hope we can sort this one out... Anglicanism has many problems it needs to solve when it sorts this one :(