• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Condolences to the Brits

Melody

I hear London has "won" the rights to the 2012 summer olympics. Am I the only one to think that the olympics destroys the quality of living for 2 years prior to the olympics what with new construction (buildings, roads, etc.) and then this amps up for the several weeks prior to and during as security is tightened?

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
But isn't that a boost to the economy with construction jobs (and others) as well as a boost to the community with nice new building and sports centres once the olympics are over? A temporary inconvenience for long term gain?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Oh you Cynic!! (But as it happens, I tend to agree with you) although I am happy for the sportsmen and women, who so badly wanted it to he held here..

The other reason I am pleased, is that it is not going to be hel in France. Chirac was rude about the british yeasterday, saying that our only agricultural export was mad cow disease, and that apart from the Finnish, we are the worst cooks in Europe! - so there Monsieur Chirac; put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!

I do know what you mean though, there are advantages, but disadvantages too; the Greeks are complaining that the tax-payer is still paying for last year's Olympics....:rolleyes:

Unedited

I love the Olympics, I really do, but I think way too much goes into them. I definately be there though :)

Zolo

To be honest, the state of transport etc in the UK is not very good so I think it will be a great help for Londoners in the future for a more accessible city

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Zolo said:
To be honest, the state of transport etc in the UK is not very good so I think it will be a great help for Londoners in the future for a more accessible city
heh I agree, but as my wife was saying this morning, at breakfast,"If we do get the olympics, will London have to re-vamp the tubes ? - can you imagine the cost of renovating all the tube stations in London, tracks and trains ?"

Mind you, It needs doing..........:)

Melody

Original Freak said:
But isn't that a boost to the economy with construction jobs (and others) as well as a boost to the community with nice new building and sports centres once the olympics are over? A temporary inconvenience for long term gain?
At what cost though? According to the news report I heard this morning, most cities are in debt for years after the Olympics because they don't generate enough revenue to cover the costs. So the taxpayers bear the burden.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
It's a case by case thing I suppose. At some point the tax payers should bear the burden of having good and accessable facilities. Perhaps it takes the things like the Olympics to get things in motion in some cases.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Zolo said:
Transport in the UK is poor in general. In London it's pretty good. Buses every few minutes, and the underground (currently exploding however) is fast and frequent compared to other cities.

Ladytron

truthseekingsoul said:
...and the underground (currently exploding however)
Ay ay ay... It was kind of obvious that wasn't because of bad planning or a powersource failure.

What are people seriously thinking by doing this?? I just can not imagine why ANYONE would bomb London just because the G8 is in the area who may be THE oppertunity to save Africa (or at least considering it).
If this isn't the reason...then it's the Olympics. "Yeah bomb London...they are planning to run, jump and swim in 7 years!!"

People people people..........am I missing something here?!

Loki

I bloody hate Islamic extremists. Today's newspaper is a disturbing read. Usually, i only do the sudoku.

I live miles away from London (I'm in Blackpool) but it's pretty disconcerting that this is happening on our doorstep.

TroubledPhoenix

michel said:
The other reason I am pleased, is that it is not going to be hel in France. Chirac was rude about the british yeasterday, saying that our only agricultural export was mad cow disease, and that apart from the Finnish, we are the worst cooks in Europe! - so there Monsieur Chirac; put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
*giggles*
"One cannot trust people whose cuisine is so bad,"- Mr Chirac.

I havent heard much comment about the 'trust' insult in this issue. ;) I think perhaps us English don't mind that we've been called a bunch of untrustworthy shifty little fellows, but insult our food :eek: Shocking ;)
I just find it funny that in a lot of restaurant kitchens, it is French Chefs doing the cooking....
Humble pie, Jaques?

huajiro

As we in the United States have shown well, you don't actually need money to live well. You just get good at making it move, and it gives the appearance of having it. My point is that even if the Olympics cause a debt, it creates movement in the economy, which is a good thing. No one actually pays their debts anymore.