• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compassion

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Compassion seems to be a lens of some sort through which we often enough get a more realistic understanding of people than we would have otherwise.

I try to cultivate compassion for everyone. Except @Debater Slayer . I don't try to cultivate it for Debater Slayer.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm working on this. It's hard when it comes to some politicians. For me, very very hard.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Compassion seems to be a lens of some sort through which we often enough get a more realistic understanding of people than we would have otherwise.

I try to cultivate compassion for everyone. Except @Debater Slayer . I don't try to cultivate it for Debater Slayer.

Compassion for "everyone" is great in theory but it can be a real challenge when confronted with a lot of negativity from certain people - no pun intended :)

Keep up the good work!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Saying "life is tough" may have been a bit glum from me ... maybe I should have said something like this:

Life-as-it-is-experienced-by-most-people is very challenging. Even MORE challenging if you try to go through life without cultivating compassion for your fellow human beings.

End of sermon :)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I'm working on this. It's hard when it comes to some politicians. For me, very very hard.

In that case, try switching to compassion for yourself and all others who are in the same boat who want to feel compassion but can't quite manage it all-the-time!

I sure find it a constant challenge - but as I said in anoother thread - challenges make life interesting & meaningful. If nobody suffered, the word compassion would lose all meaning.

You're lucky today - two sermons at no charge! :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

It used to be hard for me too, but then I read of a survey that showed an impressive 68% of scientists these days are convinced politicians actually are members of Homo sapiens, rather than members of Homo imbecilus, as was originally believed. That's helped me to see them in a new light.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
It used to be hard for me too, but then I read of a survey that showed an impressive 68% of scientists these days are convinced politicians actually are members of Homo sapiens, rather than members of Homo imbecilus, as was originally believed. That's helped me to see them in a new light.

Yes - enlightened leaders of democratic countries are a rare breed! They need all our prayers and compassion and then some ...

Not to be TOO cynical:

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

Winston Churchill

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It's a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.”

~ Guess who!