• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compassion in Hinduism v. Buddhism

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Both religions teach ahiṃsā; both religions teach liberation. But I find that there is more emphasis placed on compassion in Buddhism than in Hinduism.

The Buddha said "Compassion is that which makes the heart of the good move at the pain of others. It crushes and destroys the pain of others; thus, it is called compassion. It is called compassion because it shelters and embraces the distressed." The Buddha was asked "Is is correct to say that cultivation of compassion and loving-kindness is part of our practice?" The Buddha replied "No, it is not correct to say that cultivation of compassion and loving-kindness is part of our practice. It is correct to say that cultivation of compassion and loving-kindness is all of our practice".

There are a number of Buddhist prayers for the well-being, enlightenment and liberation of sentient beings. Chenrezig/Avalokiteshvara (aka Guan Yin) is the bodhisattva of great compassion and is much loved. I haven't come across much, if anything in talks or readings on Hinduism that places the same sort of emphasis on compassion for other sentient beings. I don't find much of that, if anything in the Bhagavad Gita either. The Gita focuses on our relationship with God and our duties. It seems Hinduism in general is more focused on personal relationships with God and personal liberation. I hate to use this term, but it seems Hinduism is more "self-centered". Is this the case, or am I not looking in the right places?

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Both religions teach ahiṃsā; both religions teach liberation. But I find that there is more emphasis placed on compassion in Buddhism than in Hinduism.

The Buddha said "Compassion is that which makes the heart of the good move at the pain of others. It crushes and destroys the pain of others; thus, it is called compassion. It is called compassion because it shelters and embraces the distressed." The Buddha was asked "Is is correct to say that cultivation of compassion and loving-kindness is part of our practice?" The Buddha replied "No, it is not correct to say that cultivation of compassion and loving-kindness is part of our practice. It is correct to say that cultivation of compassion and loving-kindness is all of our practice".

Please explain in easy terms, I am not very good in english :(

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't think there's a lot of difference in the faiths themselves, both being compassionate, but there sure is a lot of difference between individual practitioners.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Please explain in easy terms, I am not very good in english :(

Your English is better than some native English-speakers. :D

Well, if you mean the Buddha's quotes, those are just two examples of how much Buddhism stresses compassion for other living things. He was saying that compassion is not just part of Buddhist practice, it is all of Buddhist practice. I don't get the feeling that Hinduism is as concerned with compassion for others (except of course non-injury) as it is about the individual jivatma. That is, I don't get the feeling that Hinduism is very concerned with thinking about and doing for others.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
I don't get the feeling that Hinduism is as concerned with compassion for others (except of course non-injury) as it is about the individual jivatma.
Vedas are soul of hinduism. Off course Hinduism is all about union of Jeevatmaa and Brahman but this union can be only attained from kind service of all living creatures. Vedic Verses are full of that. One can practice Hinduism without Vedas but cannot understand it without Vedas. I suggest you to read vedas. Also many temples of India chant following Mantra after prayers
Om Sarve Bhavantu Sukhinah
Sarve Santu Nir-Aamayaah |
Sarve Bhadraanni Pashyantu
Maa Kashcid-Duhkha-Bhaag-Bhavet |

Om, May All become Happy,
May All be Free from Illness.
May All See what is Auspicious,
May no one Suffer.
:D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think there's a lot of difference in the faiths themselves, both being compassionate, but there sure is a lot of difference between individual practitioners.

That could be it too... maybe the practices passed down through the milennia have diverged.

However, one major difference is bodhicitta in Buddhism... the desire to become enlightened in order to help others become enlightened. Tibetan Buddhist teacher Patrul Rinpoche describes three levels of bodhicitta. The lowest level is the way of the king, who primarily seeks his own benefit but who recognizes that his benefit depends crucially on that of his kingdom and his subjects. The middle level is the path of the boatman, who ferries his passengers across the river and simultaneously, of course, ferries himself as well. The highest level is the shepherd, who makes sure that all his sheep arrive safely ahead of him and places their welfare above his own. In the third level, one foregoes liberation until all sentient beings are liberated. That's ultimate compassion. I could be wrong but I don't think there is any such concept in Hinduism.

Me Myself

Back to my username
So you think they both stress compassion equally?

Sorry I wasnt clear. i believe buddhism stress compassion more. Though I dont feel like I mnow enough of either to trust a lot in my own belief in the matter to be honest :D . I do associate buddhism with compassion a lot more tan hinduism.

Maybe its an error, but its my association at least. I feel hinduism is more focused on reverence and worship and its more focused inwards in a way. Bddhism while I would still deem it to be way more introspective than any western religion I do feel can be more "outwards" not only because of the compassion thing but also because meditation techniques Of buddhism I associate them more with being more in touch with your surrounding, again, this may very well be a misconception, so I can only share associations.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Om Sarve Bhavantu Sukhinah
Sarve Santu Nir-Aamayaah |
Sarve Bhadraanni Pashyantu
Maa Kashcid-Duhkha-Bhaag-Bhavet |

Om, May All become Happy,
May All be Free from Illness.
May All See what is Auspicious,
May no one Suffer.
:D

Yes, I know and say that one. :) There is a Buddhist version which is similar, and may be based on that:

May all sentient beings have happiness and the causes of happiness;
May all sentient beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering;
May all sentient beings never be separated from the happiness that knows no suffering;
May all sentient beings live in equanimity, free from attachment and aversion.

A prayer asking for a higher level of compassion to grow is:

May the supreme jewel bodhicitta that has not arisen arise and grow,
and may that which has arisen not diminish, but increase more and more.

Another version is:

By this virtue may I quickly attain the state of enlightenment and then may I lead every being without exception into that state. May the most precious and supreme bodhicitta awakening mind which has not yet been generated now be generated. May the precious mind of bodhicitta which has been generated never decline but always increase.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry I wasnt clear. i believe buddhism stress compassion more. Though I dont feel like I mnow enough of either to trust a lot in my own belief in the matter to be honest :D . I do associate buddhism with compassion a lot more tan hinduism.

Maybe its an error, but its my association at least. I feel hinduism is more focused on reverence and worship and its more focused inwards in a way. Bddhism while I would still deem it to be way more introspective than any western religion I do feel can be more "outwards" not only because of the compassion thing but also because meditation techniques Of buddhism I associate them more with being more in touch with your surrounding, again, this may very well be a misconception, so I can only share associations.

:yes: This is what I'm getting at and am wondering if I see it correctly. Not that it's good or bad, but I just find it curious how Hinduism is, as you said "more focused inwards".

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Btw, Indians are some of the politest and friendliest people one could know. I'm referring to all this scripturally and doctrinally, not culturally. If the cultural politeness and friendliness is scripturally and doctrinally based, that's what I'm interested finding out (the source(s)).

Mangosteen

Interesting. I would be interested in the Hindu sources, too. Generosity is embedded in Buddhism; its almost like their language.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I'm really not that familiar with Hinduism, but I get the impression that it is more law-based instead of compassionate/discernment-based like Buddhism. I see the same thing when comparing Judaism and Christianity, but to a lesser extent, as there are quite a few law-based Christians who don't follow Jesus' instructions to "love your enemies." You fulfill your "duties" through compassion. Mercy trumps judgement.

Wannabe Yogi

I'm really not that familiar with Hinduism, but I get the impression that it is more law-based instead of compassionate/discernment-based like Buddhism. I see the same thing when comparing Judaism and Christianity, but to a lesser extent, as there are quite a few law-based Christians who don't follow Jesus' instructions to "love your enemies." You fulfill your "duties" through compassion. Mercy trumps judgement.

My impression is that for both Buddhism and Hinduism there are a lot of rules and law parts to each faith. Just look at the life style rules of Buddhist monks. Both religions have followers that are able transcend the rules. Buddhism has a clarity to its compassion that is true. Hinduism has an expansive non-judgemental world view. Just due to its great diversity that is unmatched by any faith.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Essay on the Bhagavad Gita: Compassion or Indifference?
bawlstheory.livejournal.com/12216.htmlOct 6, 2008 – Whether or not the Bhagavad Gita teaches concern for or indifference to embodied life ...

This article and my own thinking (meditation?) on it does indeed show that compassion is a basic component of Hinduism. It seems the wording and presentations are different than in Buddhism and the concept of bodhicitta is not present in Hinduism. Otherwise there really isn't much of a difference in the two religions' views of compassion. B.G. 12.13-15 is a subtle encapsulation of compassion. A Google search of 'Hinduism + compassion' brings a number of valuable hits.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that Hinduism highly values love and compassion. But it tells us that all these qualities arise naturally through God-Realisation. That is why it talks more about creating a relationship with God. And that makes perfect sense to me.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm really not that familiar with Hinduism, but I get the impression that it is more law-based instead of compassionate/discernment-based like Buddhism.

Hindu religions can often be rule-filled. But that is what people have created for their religion, not necessarily what the scriptures tell us to do. Hinduism doesn't prescribe specific rules the way that Islam does, for example. Our religion is much more based on principles.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Vasudeva Datta - Vaniquotes

SB Canto 9

SB 9.21.12, Translation and Purport: "I do not pray to the Supreme Personality of Godhead for the eight perfections of mystic yoga, nor for salvation from repeated birth and death. I want only to stay among all the living entities and suffer all distresses on their behalf, so that they may be freed from suffering."

Vāsudeva Datta made a similar statement to Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, requesting the Lord to liberate all living entities in His presence. Vāsudeva Datta submitted that if they were unfit to be liberated, he himself would take all their sinful reactions and suffer personally so that the Lord might deliver them. A Vaiṣṇava is therefore described as being para-duḥkha-duḥkhī, very much aggrieved by the sufferings of others. As such, a Vaiṣṇava engages in activities for the real welfare of human society.

It would seem that bodhicitta is very much a part of Hinduism. :)